Prozac Nation Reviews

½ August 12, 2010
For anyone suffering from depression, Elizabeth Wurtzel's 1994 memoir was a boon. This film reflects on her time at Harvard, and the battle that ensued as she took on her demons. Starring Christina Ricci in the titular role, Lizzie has to take on her past demons now that she's away from home. Her mother (Lange) and father (Campbell) went through an irrefutably volatile divorce that still has a negative impact on Lizzie. She has battled through all this before, but now that she's in Harvard, devoid of a lot of human contact or the comforts of home, she unravels. Unable to break from her writing, addicted to drugs and alcohol, vehement, even to her supporters, and co-dependent of her first love, Rafe, Lizzie is lost in a sea of darkness. The film doesn't speak of someone's inability to cope, and isn't driving towards the point of being an indie feature. Most of the film features a build-up of tension between Lizzie and her mother, and the problems Lizzie faces in recovery. Lizzie is also a very emotional and bitter young woman, who thrashes out at anyone she could call a friend, and while this isn't a clear indication of what a depressed person looks like, it does make the character interesting. Her recovery after her prognosis and the steps she takes make for a great watch; for any young adult or teenager who is currently having their own trials and tribulations. Still, there's something so over the top about this film that it remains uncontrollably uncomfortable for the audience. Ricci is probably the worst indicator of this, because her acting is so hammy at times. She screams at the top of her lungs, and always cries. There's never any introspection, no darkness or true sadness, just an inability to understand what is happening to her. That and the performance seems comedic after a few too many wails. Lange gives yet another great performance as a mother stuck between caring for her daughter and living her own life, and Biggs is interesting for once, if a little stilted.
March 20, 2008
Okay if you like depressing movies about people who are completely self destructive. Personally, I knew too many of them in high school to want to spend another 2 hour with them.
June 14, 2007
Ricci is fabulous, but the film is like a two hour complaint.
½ April 12, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Prozac Nation" starts out in the 1980's when Elizabeth Wurtzel(Christina Ricci) is being driven to Harvard University for freshman orientation by her mother(Jessica Lange).(Elizabeth is attending on a journalism scholarship and has already had an article published in Teen Magazine about her father whom she has not seen in four years.) Once at college, she lives a normal life, makes a best friend, Ruby(Michelle Williams), and loses her virginity. Elizabeth gains fame, an award, and the attention of Rolling Stone magazine for writing a piece on a Lou Reed(Lou Reed) concert. In trying to top her early success, she develops a massive case of writer's block in trying to write an article on Bruce Springsteen(academics have had the same problem for decades...). Thus leading to a downfall through alcohol, drugs and some seriously antisocial behavior.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Prozac Nation" is a self-important movie about a self-centered person. Removing the narration would have helped in moving around some of the focus. To make matters worse, the movie is based on Elizabeth Wurtzel's own experiences but provides a decided lack of insight into mental illness or anything else for that matter. [/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Christina Ricci gives a wooden performance in the lead and sadly might be incapable of delivering sarcasm.(Zooey Deschanel would have been a vast improvement.) Surprisingly, Jessica Lange disappoints in a completely over-the-top performance. But there is fine support supplied by Michelle Williams, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jason Biggs and Anne Heche.[/font]
½ March 27, 2011
A depressant's nightmare based upon a true story. A young woman's adventure into coming to grips with her parent's divorce, being comfortable with herself as she goes through her freshman year in College and eventually working for Rolling Stone Magazine...despite the anguish she went through...finding help through therapy...the anguish the heartbreak is all portrayed exceptionally well by Christina Ricci. See this it is really good. Plus the way Christina narrates her journey is incredible.
January 20, 2011
More of a lifetime movie, than the generation capstone it was trying to portray. The performances are melodramatic and repetitious. Even the quality of the film comes off 10 years older than it actually should be. Could have used some more grit!
June 7, 2008
Girl suffers from depression, girl has no reason to suffer from depression, girl becomes melodramatic for 90 minutes.
October 16, 2010
Coming from someone who suffers from depression, this movie really hit home for me. While I have not endured episodes nearly as bad as hers, I could definitely relate to many parts of the movie and Ricci's character.
May 28, 2008
I waited for 2 years for this movie to come out on DVD and it was pretty great.
½ April 5, 2008
My all time favourite book, but not my all time favourite movie. I really wanted this to be a great movie! Ricci puts her all into it, and she shines as Wurtzel, but overall the movie doesn't work. The boyfriends were entirely mis-cast. They didn't work at all, and the overall feeling of the book didn't crossover to the movie.
April 21, 2007
Nice tits on Christina, but other than that...
½ May 31, 2006
A dark, mean and depressing movie that can sometimes look unfinished but will linger in your head for days. Christina Ricci offers one of her most solid performances.
½ June 21, 2006
I think this movie accurately portrays what depression feels like. But I think if you haven't been there it's just going be annoying. There is a completely unnecessary nude scene in the beginning which pissed me off and was completely unbelievable. Who would just sit there like that in front of their mom? And why was she naked to begin with?
½ September 29, 2006
I love Ricci, but I hope the book was better than this.
½ February 15, 2014
The book this movie is based on might have been a bestseller, but it didn't translate well into a movie. I liked the cinematic style, but as far as the substance is concerned, the viewer essentially is subjected to 90 min of ramblings of a mentally unstable teenager who is also a drama queen. The entire point of the story and hence the title (depression and the excessive use of medication to teat it) was completely lost.
August 4, 2012
Freaky thin little Christina Ricci inexplicably produced this thoroughly self-involved biopic from Elizabeth Wurtzel. Thoroughly bipolar and thoroughly out of control, she makes everyone in her orbit miserable, including the audience. She finally gets on the title meds in the final couple minutes of the movie, but it is way, way too late by that time!
February 1, 2012
An excellent performance by Ricci but I just wasn't feeling the movie. At one point I couldn't tell if she was telling the truth or just lieing to get something. They didn't show much in the drug use but alot into depression and the good thoughts she was having. Would be a strange mood to be in, worth watching if your into slightly depressing movies.
June 18, 2008
very interesting movie, I could totally relate to this character but it was a little slow and confusing at parts.
August 1, 2010
Prozac Nation is the autobiography of a journalist who has depression. I personally believe that all depression can be linked to something in the real world. Hers is because her mother is a bitch and her father was absent for most of her childhood.

The movie was good. The acting was great. I would like to see more of the main character's life, but I guess I will have to read the book.

I can see how this movie can be inspirational and touching to a lot of people. It goes against many of my core beliefs. I do not believe in therapy or in Rx drug use. Life is suffering. Get used to it.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who thinks they might be alone in their insanity.
September 16, 2009
Normally you want to empathize with the main character. This movie just makes you hate her more with every scene.