P.S. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

P.S. Reviews

February 19, 2016
The story & narrative didn't quite come up with the acting here.
March 16, 2013
I don't think this movie knew where it wanted to go at all. Laura Linney and Topher Grace had sexual chemistry and ok I got it even with the huge age discrepancy, but there was too much sloppiness in this film. I'm still giving it 3 stars instead of less because this was not the actors fault (except maybe in accepting the roles).
February 28, 2013
Not a terrible movie but somehow the point was lost on me. The characters in the film were defintely detailed and well defined but they didn't flow well together. It was like being at a cocktail party of strangers: lots of different personalites but you can't relate to anyone. This is a movie you can easily miss out on.
February 6, 2013
An enjoyable drama that engages the audience and has some fine performances from a great cast. I never really enjoy watching relationships between older men and younger women - or in this case younger man older woman, but the casting of this film made me appreciate the delicate relationship between Linney and Grace's characters.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
October 28, 2012
A little boring and kind of confusing. I didn't expect much. But Laura Linney did a good job, as usual.
October 8, 2012
It's a questionable plot although the actors do the best with what they have.
½ May 19, 2012
Could have been a great film if the story actually went somewhere; there is a great depth to the characters and the dialogue is wonderful. Unfortunately, a whole lot of nothing happens.
April 25, 2012
An admissions officer for Columbia gets involved with an applicant whose name reminds her of a man from her past.
The performances by Laura Linney and Topher Grace save this film from the miasma of self-indulgence that it threatens to fall into. Linney, in particular, conveys a whole palette of emotion, from insecure lust to confident determination, and Grace sprinkles in sensitivity to his douchey character.
While the plot doesn't pay off and there's an important scene in a hotel room that leaves the audience wondering if it got spliced in from another movie, the story is good enough to provide Linney opportunity to show off her acting chops.
Overall, I like Linney enough to follow her into this poorly constructed film.
½ April 2, 2012
not my cup of tea..too much estrogen floating around..
December 23, 2011
A sweet movie with excellent performances. Enjoyed it. So romantic.
December 14, 2011
There was something missing
October 30, 2011
Good movie. Worth a watch.
July 28, 2011
I really thought this film was actually going somewhere. Topher Grace's performance was kind of interesting but ultimately fell flat and you sort of sit there wondering how could laura linney really take this guy seriously....Topher just delivers his lines like a goofball while Laura Linney, Gabreil Byrne, and Marcia Gay Harden!!! are in a serious drama. It kept my attention throughout but in the end it just didn't work. There was something to work with but it doesn't really evolve into something satisfying. It's interesting though.

Plot hole? Linney says he paints like her old boyfriend but her old bfriend painted that portrait that was abstract....and he doesn't paint that way.
June 17, 2011
While the subject matter is actually pretty lame and anticlimatic, the acting is fantastic, and that was enough to keep me watching. This is definitely not the kind of thing I could watch over and over, and I'd have to be in the right mood for it. But if you're looking for something that's mellow, not necessarily intellectual, and incredibly well-acted, this is worth giving a shot. Topher Grace was especially great in this movie.
April 16, 2011
A great performance by Laura Linney as usual but other than that, not all that great of a film. Plot is predictable and Topher Grace is barely tolerable.
April 15, 2011
This movie wanted to say something but could never quite spit it out. Its impotent babblings about love, loss, and loneliness are absurd, tedious, and yucky.
The upside: I might now be able to distinguish Laura Linney from Laura Dern.
½ April 13, 2011
Well, okay. Topher is quite sexy.
March 23, 2011
Laura Linney shows she's truly one of the best actresses working today, radiating intelligence and wit in the role of New Yorker Louise Harrington, an admissions officer at Columbia's graduate school of fine arts. Louise is devoid of romantic illusions after her bitter divorce from her skirt-chasing husband Peter (Gabriel Byrne). Her world gets turned upside down though when she meets art student F. Scott Feinstadt (Topher Grace), and the two are off to the bedroom. Louise only does it because F. Scott reminds her of her first love, also named Scott, who died just before her best friend, Missy (a terrific Marcia Gay Harden) could try and steal him from her. Nothing more need be revealed, except to say that director Dylan Kidd (Roger Dodger) delivers a smart, potently erotic and funny drama that takes its time revealing long-festered emotions. Grace (of tv's That 70's Show) turns in his best performance yet, exuding killer charm and stunning sensitivity. But P.S., adapted from a novel by Helen Schulman, is Linney's show all the way, and she makes it resonate.