Psych-Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Psych-Out Reviews

November 4, 2015
Jack Nicholson is way too uptight for the San Francisco hippie scene and he has a really bad ponytail (I mean really bad). When a deaf runaway, Jenny (Susan Strasberg), turns up at his band's pad, he looks after her as she tries to find her (drug-addled) brother (Bruce Dern). Of course, Stoney (Jack's character) is also romantically interested in her but so is perpetually zonked quasi-mystic Dean Stockwell and poor Jenny just ends up confused. The whole thing gets pretty heavy, man, because this is American International Pictures (produced by Dick Clark!) and there is a bunch of arguing, fighting, and bad trips to provide some tension. The music, courtesy of the Seeds and the Strawberry Alarm Clock, is actually pretty good and, for all its datedness, the movie holds together fine. It isn't quite the sixties psychedelic exploitation film that you might expect although it does come laden with all the clichés. Freak out!
½ December 10, 2013
Dick Clark produced vehicle about the hippy scene at Haight and Ashbury during the late '60s. Drugs are bad and they'll make you freak out having fire splashing know what, you need to be stoned out of your freaking mind to receive any enjoyment out of this mess whatsoever. Even Bruce Dern doesn't remember jack about this film and he was as square as Dick Clark.
½ April 19, 2013
A not bad 1960s time capsule.
½ March 5, 2013
Wow man, far out crazy stuff. Story of a deaf girl who goes in search of her brother in San Francisco at the height of the hippie movement. Seeing as the story and location are authentic it adds a lot to the feel of the movie.

Everything is ok in this film, nothing is great other than the real feel of hippy days. The story has it's moments as does jack Nicholson as a long haired musician hippy but in the end it's a flash back you don't care to repeat.
May 30, 2012
Ahahahahaha! Brings back memories! "It's just one big plastic hassle!"
April 27, 2012
Compare Roger Corman's The Trip to this, and you're comparing the results from a gifted impresario and showman to that of a real filmmaker. With great early racked focus work by the legendary Laszlo Kovacs.
½ December 14, 2011
Now so removed from the 60s it's difficult to associate w/ the hippies. The dreams of the counter culture are so far removed in this day & age it feels like a million years ago. I really would have like to be a part of it though. Open the doors of perception & do your own thing. Of course the pursuit of money killed that pursuit. Psycho-Out is more of a sugar cube trip then anything else & thanks to a great cast is a fair amount of fun even if it is extremely dated. Only occasionally do things get heavy but this isn't a 'flower power' movie. If only I was 20 years younger it probably would have been fun to drop some acid & watch. Those days are now behind me (as the days of turn on, tune in & drop out days are for everyone else) & as the saying goes you can't trust anyone over 30. We're just not the dreamers that we used to be
½ June 6, 2011
Far better than the Trip (1967)
December 21, 2010
Thats a absolutely Burner of Hippieploitation Culture of Free Expression, Psychedelic Pictures, Groovy Music & Freaky Characters it shows both the Beauty of Expansion of Consciousness and the Danger of Loss of Reality Jack Nicholson, Susan Strasberg and Dean Stockwell are great
½ December 11, 2010
This is an excellent psychedelic drama movie, it's very exciting, and it has a great cast. It's a great movie, and I highly recommend it.
½ November 6, 2010
Above average drama about San Franscico hippie life seen through the eyes of deaf Susan Strasberg, who arrives looking for her missing brother.

Producer Dick Clark, yes of American Bandstand fame and numerous New Years Eve broadcasts, produced this pseudo-hippy flick. How was he ever to know what a anti-establishment person was? Yet, he made this film about them.
Dick Clark was the ultimate ESTABLISHMENT figure during the Sixties and beyond. Please, give us a break.

Adventures depict the world of a lost band experimenting with drugs and the supporting cast is pretty good all the way around. Jack Nicholson makes an appearance in this film too.

Flawed by melodramatic ending but still good. Worth watching once, if nothing else but for the retro clothing.

Susan Strasberg, Dean Stockwell,
Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern,
Adam Roarke, Max Julien, Bob Kelljan, Henry Jaglom, Barbara London, Tommy Flanders,

The Strawberry Alarm Clock, Gary Marshall, Ken Scott, Linda Scott, John 'Bud' Cardos, Gary Kent, Dave Morick, I.J. Jefferson, Beatriz Monteil

Director: Richard Rush

Producer: Dick Clark Note-worthy, Clark was of American Bandstand, host.
August 1, 2010
The beauty about old films is that they're a time capsule. An image of a lost era. This film captures the spirit of San Francisco in the late 60's. For those of us too young to have experienced such a time, it provides a glimpse into the unique, garish spectacle. Flower Power, colorful VW microbuses, pharmaceutical experimentation, and lots of "hip" and "unhip" behavior. Also, this film provides us the opportunity to watch an early performance by Jack Nicholson. It's a very solid film, although there's nothing in it to make it really "great". The plotline just isn't there. That said, it's worthwhile viewing as a period-piece. .
½ February 4, 2010
Psych-out is a hilarious exploitation flick on the perils and culture of 70s drug experimentation. I have to say the trips folks have in this movie are like a worst case nightmare. The scene with the dude who tries to saw off his hand is fantastic. Zombies, and bad trips, and STP, oh my! :D The soundtrack to this flickaroo is great. I particularly like Two Fingers Pointing On You by The Seeds.
November 28, 2009
cheesy but really funny. A classic & great film
½ September 14, 2009
Today's fun movie...saw it again last Saturday.
September 2, 2009
I find it bizarre that hippies and drug users would find the need to write a film about the evils of hallucinogenic drugs. But if you want to see Jack Nicholson butchering Jimi Hendrix's riffs while sporting a pony-tail, an insane Bruce Dern finding God in a sugar cube and Dean Stockwell spouting philosophy while a deaf Susan Strasberg runs away from imaginery fire this is the movie for you! Not as bad as Nicholson's previous attempt at a drug movie "The Trip" because it seems to have a slight basis in reality but nowhere near the drug scenes in Easy Rider.
½ August 9, 2009
Low budget (check out the obvious false hair pieces and side burns) but somehow honest and nostalgic look at the Haight Ashbury Hippies. Great songs and guest appearance from the Strawberry Alarm Clock (Incence and Peppermints from Austin Powers) and starring Jack Nicolson. Great movie with a warning message on using psycedelic drugs in the wrong circumstances.
June 5, 2009
how can you not love this? a spaced-out trip filmed on location by laszlo kovacs during the height of the haight-ashbury scene in full psychedelic color, starring a young ponytailed, bass-playing Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern, Susan Strasberg and Dean Stockwell, all produced by Dick Clark himself, and the music! Once again, Jack Nicholson shows off his flair for perfectly capturing the essence of modern culture on film. Experience the true hippie scene as the wildness it truly was.
½ May 12, 2009
Jack Nicholson is young as hell
½ February 25, 2009
One of my all-time FAVORITE 60s movies!!! It's so entertainingly fun and psychedelic. It really gives you a lot of insight on the good and bad sides of the hippie generation. Plus, Jack Nicholson does an awesome job in acting (as always), as do Bruce Dern and Susan Strasberg. They are so young in this movie that you really get a full sense of the 60s youthful spirit from this film. Watch it, and enjoy!!