Public Speaking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Public Speaking Reviews

½ July 23, 2011
It appears that getting Fran Lebowitz on camera for this long was the real achievement here. A hilarious conversation with one of the best humorists alive that is less insightful as it is expanding.
Kyle F.
½ July 21, 2011
A fun and interesting documentary that rides Lebowitz's charm all the way.
July 10, 2011
Truly outstanding - Lebowitz cuts through bullshit like a laser beam (with all the overkill that implies), and truly engages the mind as well as the gut! Some of the archival clips -- especially Gore Vidal vs. William Buckley -- are magnificent.
July 1, 2011
I wouldn't have imagined that you can watch someone talking for one and a half hour in a movie and enjoy it so much. Witty, sarcastic, and sometimes dead wrong, but always stimulating. And I loved the archival material: James Baldwin, Serge Gainsbourg, Truman Capote, ...
June 29, 2011
A very-talkative documentary about Fran Lebowitz, a writer from New York who through her wit and public speakings/stand up bits has kept her a known public figure within the city for nearly four decades. Nothing to really hate here, but then again not really much to love. It's mostly a sit down interview with her and Martin Scorsese, while periodic inter-cuts of archival footage from earlier in her life is thrown in.
June 29, 2011
What a fantastic piece of work. Fran Lebowitz easily carries the 80+ minutes and gives the movie a jaunty brisk feel, all while mostly just sitting and talking in a restaurant booth. Scorsese shapes the material deftly and doesn't get too fancy about it.
June 25, 2011
Caught this on its second half and MUST SEE IT in full again, and perhaps even a third time... simply delicious, unpretentious, frank, openminded, funny without attempting to be, human! what a great documentary... now I gotta learn more about the rest of her! loved it! kudos to HBO and Mr. Scorsese!
May 31, 2011
Sarah Palin would not like this movie.
May 29, 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed this documentary. It was reminiscent of "My Dinner with André", but with only one witty conversationalist, one very funny Fran Lebowitz. Self assured and unapologetic, Lebowitz is fantastic entertainment.
May 18, 2011
Insightful, intelligent, amusing, conversational, genuine, and unassuming. One of the most enjoyable films Ive seen in months. And the most entertaining documentary I can remember in years. Also better than many of Scorcese's last features.
May 12, 2011
It's better than "Social Studies" a book.
½ April 25, 2011
GREAT!! RECOMMENDED!!!!!
April 8, 2011
Fantastically sharp and cutting, much better than "A Piece of Work." Recommended for comedians, writers, intellectuals, New Yorkers, and lovers of snark. Reminds me of The 10-Year Lunch.
March 21, 2011
ˇSos grande, Lebowitz!
½ March 19, 2011
Fascinating profile of Fran Lebowitz, combining contemporary interviews with archival footage. Her reflections, on writing and writers, life today and yesterday, New Yorkers and tourists, race and gender, are as insightful and incisive as one would expect and hope for. An intelligent and entertaining documentary.
March 13, 2011
A documentary is ultimately only as interesting as its subject and in this regard Public Speaking is a great success.
The movie is pretty much 80 minutes of Ms. Lebowitz talking so the fact that she does it so very well, managing to engage, provoke and entertain in equal measure, makes this worth watching.
March 12, 2011
She aint as smart as she thinks she is but she sure is witty.
½ March 4, 2011
This doc is good because Fran Lebowitz is entertaing and it has a nice mix of archival footage. It's very New York City centric, and doesn't have much of a Scorsese stamp on it, but it doesn't matter.I think it was missing a more personal side of Ms.Lebowitz and I wanted more about her past and how she got to be the person she is now. The archival footage is great, it's a mixture of great music and great minds. It makes you want to live in a time when people were celebrities because of their intelligence and not for public drunkenness or sex tapes.
½ February 27, 2011