Puffball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Puffball Reviews

August 11, 2015
Nicolas Roeg wants to touch some deep forgotten chords of the old days here, when the feel of things that go bump in the night was more than simply a yearly holiday for kids but he never latches onto the vibe and so neither do we. The shadows are there, but not fully realized, and so the things a waste by the end, before the end. Don Sutherland coasts through the film with a smile on his face that seems to imply: "I can't believe they're paying me for this shit." You'll quickly come to see his point unfortunately.
September 4, 2010
im a huge weldon fan but this was a bit messy! Shame as Reilly is a great actress
½ August 27, 2010
I'm trying to think of words to describe this movie without being disrespectful... maybe "Shitball: The Devil's Shit"
Just god awful, how could you Nicholas Roeg? I trusted you. Though to be fair, I should have realized after the 6th sex scene that it wasn't going to get any better.
August 18, 2010
A verey Strange Little Movie This is ...A Coven of witches Obssessed With Having A Baby boy that died in a fire A young couple are revovating a little cottage And She gets preggo Then Has What Looks To Be LiKe A Misscarage I Guess you have to see what Im talking about ???The sex in the barn was steamy I dont think allot of people will like this Movie It Is an ODD one I would watch it again maby ...
½ August 16, 2010
Started off interesting but overall was bland. But I give credit to Kelly Reilly and actor who played Tucker's sex scene.
½ June 28, 2010
Nick Roeg was one of the most exciting British directors of the early '70s (both Walkabout and Don't Look Now are four star films). But he has hit rock bottom with this kinky supernatural psychosexual monstrosity. The film is a great looking package with nothing inside. Most of the cast are fine, and I wish they had gotten better material.
½ June 28, 2010
All the talent that director Nicolas Roeg had back in 70's and 80's is completely gone and Puffball is the best possible evidence of that sad fact. At times it even seems that Roeg is desperately trying to imitate his own Don't look Now, which is one of the creepiest and stylsih horror-films ever made. He tries his best but the end result feels like a bad parody with witches running in forests and Donald Sutherland appearing as a mysterious man who likes to hug stones. Audience is destined to scratch their heads while they try to figure out that what the hell was it all about when the film ends. I am quite sure that even Roeg himself cannot answer that question. This is just awful.
½ June 28, 2010
There are no words . . . I don't even know.
June 28, 2010
Director Nicolas Roeg disappoints with this mediocre (and unfortunately-titled) horror film. The capable cast does what they can with a hokey script - Miranda Richardson in particular gives a spirited performance - but the plot is ridiculous and the production values are uneven - Roeg's fluid camerawork sustains some energy, but then there's some cheesy special effects and editing that make it look little better than a cheap direct-to-DVD feature. A far cry from the sharp and original work Roeg was doing in the 70s and 80s.
June 28, 2010
Odd movie- didn't quite understand it at the end. Weird
June 28, 2010
kelly reiily is teh only good point to see in this movie, but the screenplay is reale really bad!
June 28, 2010
this starts off okay, and kelly reillly is a good actress and is watchable here, but thestory gets dull, in thesecondhalf, when the story is getting going, something about voodo,and getting pregnant, and the curse or good luck of a stone with a hole in it, it dident grab me, nicholas roegwho directed some great stuff in the past, could do better
Matt S.
½ November 15, 2009
This movie was so fuc!king confusing and misleading, it was dreadfull! This wasn't a thriller, horror, supernatural film that it leads you to believe, it was almost like a voodoo/erotica movie that leads to nowhere. Its a shame that two talented actors like Donald Sutherland and Kelly Reilly were put in such a trashy movie as this one. Overall avoid this movie at all costs, its probably one of the strangest and most idiotic film I've seen so far this year. ZERO STARS!!!
October 26, 2009
This was a good film let down by a poor ending. It's not as bad as some reviews suggest - though I would agree it would have been better without any of the puffball bits at all, as a spooky psychological thriller creepy film it would have worked well.
½ August 29, 2009
magic mushrooms will help with this movie.
June 4, 2009
Compared to the director's previous films, this is ropey like a rope shop's BOGOF sale. In fact, compared to most films, it's clown shoes. Still, it did have a story that I could follow, even if it was utter twonk.
½ April 11, 2009
i feel embarrassed for nic.
gor41
April 8, 2009
Interesting failure for fans of Roeg. His trademark visual style is all present but often incorrect - the foetal/puffball overlays look cheap and are unnecessary. The film works when it focuses on earthly realities but its supernatural leanings are woefully inept - amazing given the director's pedigree. The music is a mixed bag but at least original. Missed opportunity.
½ January 28, 2009
Horror film by Director Nick Roeg. Really enjoyed it. I am a big fan of Kelly Reilly and she delivers a great performance. Strong sexual scenes so not for the kids. Some of the effects are a bit cheesy - but all in all a good movie. Donald sutherland plays a very small part in this film, but his performance alone is well worth the DVD rental. Good special features.
½ January 10, 2009
stupid film. no point to it at all.