Pumpkin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pumpkin Reviews

½ April 28, 2016
Incredibly underrated movie. The storyline is fantastic. Acting is great. The tone is slightly weird and slightly offsetting which fits perfect. The only critique would be some of the scenes are a bit too fake, the acting is almost overdone. Otherwise very enjoyable film. From start to finish there is not one dull moment.
December 15, 2015
Is it satire or just awful?
½ September 7, 2015
just saw this for the first time and completely loved it. It was so off beat and it was was great. There were a few funny parts but I really wouldn't consider this a comedy at all. The few funny parts were funny because they were ridiculous. .I also liked that.
June 15, 2015
A one flat note movie.
½ November 8, 2014
really sad, funny, and absurd. a movie I didn't think I'd like this much but I do. you don't hear about this kinda story everyday. so unique.
½ August 10, 2014
Over dramatic score, over acting, insane plot points. This has to be a dark parody. Damn this was weird....
August 9, 2014
(First and only viewing - 8/28/2009)
July 13, 2014
Genius Brave film for the open-minded
Wiki: Pumpkin completed its theatrical run four months later with a final gross of $308,552.[4]
Since the film's DVD release, the film has become a cult hit. It is often recognized as one of the first examples of genre bending. Ricci herself has called it "a great movie" [5] and Jeff Weiss of Stylus magazine called it "one of the most underrated films of the decade."[6]
References
June 16, 2014
so christina ricci didn't want to be around with a special kid at first and then eventually falls in love with so to speak i thought at times kindof sorry but ended good
June 15, 2014
Horrible for so many reasons.
½ June 4, 2014
i thought this movie was really good,sweet,and had good underlying meanings. Even if this particular story might not happen in real life a lot of people who are in love take care of each other even if the person was born with a disability or a disability occurs later in life.
March 16, 2014
it is a really good movie
October 31, 2013
In thinking about this movie, I first thought that is was such a stupid movie because none of it was logical. A car burns up in a grand explosion, and the driver comes out without a burn. A girl takes every pill she can find in the medicine cabinet, but comes out unscathed. But OK, the movie is a satire on almost everything.
July 24, 2013
I liked it. Christina Ricci is always awesome.... and this has a young Melissa McCarthy being a different character than you see her play now. It's a smaller part, but she's around.
July 18, 2013
Weird, dark, tongue in cheek, and oddly captivating.
April 29, 2013
I think this film wanted to be a "Heathers" type of social satire, and although Christina Ricci is great as a self absorbed sorority sister who falls for a wheelchair-bound special olympian and that there are some clever moments along the way, the tone of the comedy/drama is pretty uneven and the end result doesn't quite work.
February 24, 2013
Didn't hate it but certainly didn't love it. It was a strange film. Couldn't tell if it was meant to be a comedy or a dramedy. It was a really long film with really no point. If you are a Christina Ricci fan, you will enjoy this. She did a great job with the part she had. Other than that, not worth the time.
½ February 21, 2013
A strong indy showing from Adam Larson Broder and Tony Abrams that plays consistently until faltering in the third act. After a splendid performance from Hank Harris and Christina Ricci, the story should have closed after a predictable but satisfying last dance. However, Broder, perhaps feeling pressure to offset the films humor; went for a late denouement by sprinkling in a forced bit of irony. We are presented with a very over the top incident that puts our antagonist in a wheelchair thereby endearing him to the audience (however unsuccessfully). The result is a piece of average fair that brought to bare relevant but oft neglected subject matter such as the difference between the mental states of those who are physically disabled and those who are mentally disabled. It could have been great, but was merely good instead. Although to be fair; where the script failed to rise to the occasion Christina Ricci's nipples succeeded in spectacular fashion.
February 15, 2013
This one should have been good.
February 8, 2013
Overly dramatic, in a creepy sort of way. Features both Amy Adams and Melissa McCarthy early early on in their careers. The only reason I watched this was for Amy Adams, but she's barely in it. Overall, this movie weirded me out and there's music playing for most of the film for some reason.