Punch-Drunk Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punch-Drunk Love Reviews

½ November 15, 2016
Just weird? The best parts of the movie is the jarring soundtrack, the explosive anger scenes and the general sense of menace throughout. I didn't get the sense Adam Sandler was acting as much as he was working out some anger... Phillip Seymour Hoffman on the other hand crushed it.
I sort of took this as more of an inside look at the sort of sensory overload people with aspergers experience. If there was actual symbolism I don't know if I even want to understand it.
November 3, 2016
one of the worst movies i've ever seen. terrible in every way. completely useless. not one redeeming quality. garbo gargle garbo

SPOILERS

I watched a video analyzing the movie and its parallels to the story of Superman. That is interesting and it was done in a very clever and subtle way. i give the director/writer props on that creativity. but that does not change the fact that this movie was horrible and unwatchable. i will give it a one instead of half because of that. (1 viewing)
November 3, 2016
I am not a rabid Adam Sandler fart,pee pee joke lover? But this movie has breakaway moments that mimic the ANGER I felt just before they strapped on the STRAIGHTJACKET and Involuntary Commitment to the mental institution for 3 months of readjustment therapy!!!
½ October 21, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love might just be the most artistic rom-com to ever come out, and it's fascinating, hilarious, and just plain weird.
½ October 15, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love finds Adam Sandler in perhaps his most mature and thoughtful performance to date.
October 2, 2016
Such a special work of art. Riveting performances/ideas/plot. Infinitely more exciting and endearing than any superhero movie of the last two decades. A lot of average folk hate this movie. Maybe I'm not average. My favorite of all Paul Thomas Anderson's work Also I love Sandler in this. I love Sandler in much of his more typical fare too (with some exceptions). I love watching this side of him too. It's honest, and his work in here is a gift to us all.
October 2, 2016
The first time I saw this movie (maybe 5-6 years ago), I didn't like it. After rewatching it, the best part of it was Adam Sandler's performance. The story was ok, the music sucked, and the ending was weird and hurt the film in my opinion. If you're in the mood for a weird movie with a more serious Adam Sandler and you want really annoying music, then go for it! It's not a bad movie but I can't rate it higher than a 6...so for me it's a 6/10 OR 3/5. I guess I can say, I didn't dislike it as much as the first time I watched it. Overall, "GOOD ENOUGH". Had it not been for Sandler's performance this would have been rated 5/10 instead.
½ September 14, 2016
One of Adam sandlers very few great performances.
½ August 26, 2016
Well crafted, performed, directed, and engrossingly told.
Grade: A-
August 20, 2016
Hated this movie. Adam Sandler gave a good performance but his character was totally unsympathetic loser who randomly breaks glass and trashes property with no consequences for his actions. Is stupid enough to give his SS# over the phone to a phone sex operator who then uses it to stalk & extort him for money (duh). Female lead was more together, but whispered & mumbled so much I couldn't understand half of her lines. Direction was excruciatingly slow & plodding. Wanted more Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was on screen for maybe 3 minutes.
July 27, 2016
I love Paul Thomas Anderson and I love this movie. This is such a fantastically quirky movie that does a perfect job of storytelling through elements other than dialogue. Reminds me of an obscure, modern day version of The Graduate, which is also one of my favorite films for similar reasons.
½ July 10, 2016
I saw this film years ago when it came out, but didn't remember much of it and thought it was worth another shot. I really loved Paul Thomas Anderson's first 3 films, especially 'Boogie Nights' and 'Magnolia', but this film was a huge departure from those films. It is definitely an odd film with some crazy subplots and weird scenes that I found interesting, but didn't fit that well together (odd, because PTA did this great in previous films). Adam Sandler did really try to be a serious actor in this and a few other films, but it didn't really work out for him. Overall, this film is very unique and worth at least one watch.
July 5, 2016
This is undoubtedly Adam Sandler's most profound performance and arguably his greatest, he's phenomenal. Emily Watson is great as well but this movie is for Sandler to shine. PTA does a good job with the camera work to create an environment of isolation and distortion, which fits Barry's characteristics. The love story between Barry and Leena is very engaging but predictable. And the addition of the phone sex line plot is completely irrelevant to the story but it does exhibit Barry's passion and devotion to Leena. The music, just like the camera work is very distorted and fits the movie. The Superman theory is also I threshing but still some of the plot seems irrelevant to Barry's goals.
July 5, 2016
Utterly brilliant PTA/Sandler art collaboration. What a perfect casting choice. PDL is a character study that makes you feel exactly how Sandler's character is feeling the entire film (very Charlie Kaufman esque). He's such on odd character, yet ironically relatable. It's like you're a fly following him around the entire film. The first half or so is simply uncomfortable. The film is set in LA, but no beautiful scenery to be found anywhere. It opens in a bland office inside what feels like an endless warehouse. Everything about Sandler's surroundings is depressing. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as always as the sleeze bag mattress store owner. His conversations with Sandler are great. Unlike pretty much every other PTA film, with PDL he rewards the audience with a happy ending which is why this is one of my favorite films of his. Brilliant use of music. Flawless direction. There's isn't a film like PDL. It's a masterpiece and one of the craziest romantic comedies you'll ever see.
July 5, 2016
A very strange flick that would be better without all the drum "music" (really noise) so you could hear what the characters are saying. Love Emily Watson and Adam Sandler showed a different side of himself as an almost Rainman type role. Not a fav, but not too bad.
July 1, 2016
Punch Drunk Love is Adam Sandler at his best it's a Oscar worthy performance. The music in this movie is beautiful the music is a character in this film. This film is slow at times but it's still one of the best romantic comedies that I have ever seen. Paul Thomas Anderson's directing in this movie is one of a kind. This movie is really different and that's what I love about it.
June 25, 2016
If you didn't think you could like watching Adam Sandler in a movie I challenge you to watch this. A wonderful story where the big man actually has a performance worth talking about.
½ June 22, 2016
The best acted movie Adam Sandler has been in personally. The Director is great, which in return the film is well directed. The cast is solid, along with the acting which is very strong. This film isn't for every one. I personally liked it myself. The film show that it's okay to be sad and love. How love can change someone. I dug the message but I think most of the casual audience will not like it. Which put the film rating at 3 1/2 out of 5
½ June 20, 2016
Adam Sandler is funny in Paul Thomas Anderson's unique comedy.
½ June 19, 2016
Emily seems a little too theatre-y for the part. There is a lot of satisfaction in this film.