Punch-Drunk Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punch-Drunk Love Reviews

June 25, 2016
If you didn't think you could like watching Adam Sandler in a movie I challenge you to watch this. A wonderful story where the big man actually has a performance worth talking about.
½ June 22, 2016
The best acted movie Adam Sandler has been in personally. The Director is great, which in return the film is well directed. The cast is solid, along with the acting which is very strong. This film isn't for every one. I personally liked it myself. The film show that it's okay to be sad and love. How love can change someone. I dug the message but I think most of the casual audience will not like it. Which put the film rating at 3 1/2 out of 5
½ June 20, 2016
Adam Sandler is funny in Paul Thomas Anderson's unique comedy.
½ June 19, 2016
Emily seems a little too theatre-y for the part. There is a lot of satisfaction in this film.
½ May 30, 2016
Bizarre in the worst possible way, messy and unfunny, Punch-Dunk Love is a stain in Paul Thomas Anderson's remarkable filmography - although it does get slightly better if we pretend Adam Sandler is not there.
May 16, 2016
Good. Not very fancy, not very strange. Just a different kind of love, or hope story in fact. Finally a movie that tries to explore about people with emotional trouble without trying to show them as heroes just for being like that.
May 13, 2016
What a brilliant movie, just incredible the way the script shows women shaming men, the impact on a man, it's really must watching!
April 14, 2016
"Punch-Drunk Love" and I have an interesting history together. I watched this film during college and thought that it was awful. I gave it a second chance in 2011, assuming that it could not have been nearly as awful as I remembered... and it was worse. Finally, I gave this film a third chance (forgetting that I had given it a second chance) in hopes that a greater knowledge of stylistic film would help me to better understand this odd presentation. I still didn't get it, but appreciated some of its unique characteristics enough to bump my rating from one star to two. And now I will never feel the need to revisit this film again. I mean it this time. More than anything, I wish that I could make sense of the critical acclaim for this film. Part of the problem could be personal preference. I didn't care for director Paul Thomas Anderson's "Inherent Vice" and I straight up hated "The Master," so maybe I'm destined to dislike his style. Then again, my wife was completely on board with me, commenting that "it's as if the studio took the ten worst movies that they didn't want to make and threw them all together. 'Some random piano story? Okay. Adult phone service gone wrong? Got it. Awkward love story? Why not!'" I love Adam Sandler's stupid humor roles from the 90's and his serious roles from the 00's, but this falls somewhere in between and ends up falling flat. The third time around, I found myself enjoying his outbursts more and really rooting for him as an underdog, but is this performance really worth a Golden Globe nomination? The redeeming piece of this puzzle could have been Philip Seymour Hoffman's character but he was limited to less than six minutes of screen time and the most interesting facet of this story is largely undeveloped. At times, the music gets so loud that you can barely hear the dialogue. At first, I was extremely bothered but then I realized that the director is trying to make the audience feel the same angst that Sandler is experiencing. Well played Mr. Anderson. Maybe I just don't get it, but "Punch-Drunk Love" is a dark comedy that feels random and unsatisfying. I just cannot recommend this swearfest-without-substance in good conscience. Not even after giving it a third try.
April 11, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love is one of the most underrated films of all time. it is an amazing character study about love, anger, pudding, and phone sex fraud. sound weird? you don't know the half of it! Adam Sandler gives the best performance of his career in this movie and he has a blast with it. all of the characters are interesting and the ending is satisfying to the very last frame. if you like sandler, check it out. if you like P.T. Anderson, check it out. if yiu like great film making in every aspect, check it out! love this movie and it's one of Anderson's best.

10/10
½ April 3, 2016
I. Absolutely. Love. This. Movie.
Dark and hilarious, completely surreal, but its an oddly precise depiction of a kind yet lonely, awkward coupon-clipping guy who must overcome many obstacles to connect with a sweet girl who is mutually interested in him.
Those obstacles are the stuff of surreal dreams.
And nightmares.
And blazing hilarity:
-his 7 tyrannically abusive sisters,
-a phone-sex operator's 4 vengeance seeking brothers, and
-a huge mistake that he must stand up against and overcome in order to move on in his life.

Not for every taste, but its colourful, shocking, obnoxious, slightly disturbing, sweet, always hilarious, and completely off kilter.
Again, I love this movie.

I think the overkill of f-bombs and the phone sex dialogue alienated its intended audience of quirky romantics with a yearning for adventure, but with those things scraped off, this movie is a priceless tongue-in-cheek underdog masterpiece.

For me, its about how life crashes into you and around you, and the motivation it takes to accept and overcome the problems and make your dreams come true.

4.5 out of 5 streetside harmoniums

That's that.
March 29, 2016
When Paul Thomas Anderson first said that he was writing a movie for Adam Sandler, everyone laughed. It's hard to hear this film over the sound of everybody choking on said laughs- this is Sandler's best work by a longshot.

It's obvious that this was written with Sandler in mind because it touches into what makes (well, made, at this point) him appealing- there is just something unnerving about him, but presented with a certain meekness. I've just described your stereotypical closet axe-murderer probably but, I stick by my characterisation.

Anderson seems to relate anyway as he offers up a rom-com that's weird and funny and romantic but definitely the first one more so than anything else. Like much of Anderson's work, it's a stream of scenes with the occasional piece of brilliance. As a whole, it's more of a lived experience than a cohesive start-to-finish achievement but when it hits the nail on the head, it really hits it.

It's superbly cast all-round, and it's refreshing to see the likes of Emily Watson fitting in so well with such a darkly-comic work. It's niche to put it lightly but the appeal is there and there might just be moments that stick with you, as there were for me.

At the very least- don't let Sandler's name, combined with the rom-com tag, put you off from this one. This is a hidden gem and when we look back on Sandler's work (whenever he finally stops making films!), I have a feeling that this one will stand out from the bunch.
½ February 15, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love is a little bit of punch, not drunk at all, but a lot of love. It definitely has a hipster feeling to it, with the weird soundtrack, the colorful transitions and random situations, but it's an overall enjoyable experience. I must say, Adam Sandler's acting like an autistic guys may actually be one of Sandler's best acting performances as it seems natural.
February 14, 2016
"Punch-Drunk Love" might not be among Paul Thomas Anderson's most remembered movies, but it definitely has a lot of heart and interesting characters. The performances are great (who would've thought Adam Sandler could act so well!) and the story bends its genre between drama, comedy and romance perfectly. It has a lot of symbolism too and one of the best representations of social phobia and anxiety I've ever seen in a movie. Definitely worth checking out. 4/5 stars
February 7, 2016
Overly odd and at times difficult to comprehend, this not-so romantic film tries too hard to be funny when it should try to firmly grasp its story. But it's Paul Thomas Anderson, so I'll let this one slide.
February 4, 2016
(rating change 3-4 stars it deserves a pass)so adam sandler plays a socially akward lonely guy who finds it hard to control his feelings, punch drunk love is the type of movie i try to avoid but i checked it out cause it was on tv with little else on.
February 2, 2016
In my opinion, it takes multiple viewings to understand the overall complexity of this endearingly odd little film, but the effort and time is well worth it. Definitely one of my favorites.
½ January 19, 2016
Weird + Adam Sandler= I turned this off after 20 minutes.
½ January 17, 2016
They sure made a charming, odd couple, however I also think the story is under exploited, fine overall...
January 15, 2016
SO GOOD. Best PTA movie by far. Makes me angry to re-watch because of what a chance this was for Adam Sandler to be relevant.