Punch-Drunk Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punch-Drunk Love Reviews

September 11, 2016
A distinct and touching love story. Punch Drunk Love is a great film, and this is probably one of Sandler's best film roles yet.
½ August 26, 2016
Well crafted, performed, directed, and engrossingly told.
Grade: A-
August 20, 2016
Hated this movie. Adam Sandler gave a good performance but his character was totally unsympathetic loser who randomly breaks glass and trashes property with no consequences for his actions. Is stupid enough to give his SS# over the phone to a phone sex operator who then uses it to stalk & extort him for money (duh). Female lead was more together, but whispered & mumbled so much I couldn't understand half of her lines. Direction was excruciatingly slow & plodding. Wanted more Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was on screen for maybe 3 minutes.
July 27, 2016
I love Paul Thomas Anderson and I love this movie. This is such a fantastically quirky movie that does a perfect job of storytelling through elements other than dialogue. Reminds me of an obscure, modern day version of The Graduate, which is also one of my favorite films for similar reasons.
½ July 10, 2016
I saw this film years ago when it came out, but didn't remember much of it and thought it was worth another shot. I really loved Paul Thomas Anderson's first 3 films, especially 'Boogie Nights' and 'Magnolia', but this film was a huge departure from those films. It is definitely an odd film with some crazy subplots and weird scenes that I found interesting, but didn't fit that well together (odd, because PTA did this great in previous films). Adam Sandler did really try to be a serious actor in this and a few other films, but it didn't really work out for him. Overall, this film is very unique and worth at least one watch.
July 5, 2016
This is undoubtedly Adam Sandler's most profound performance and arguably his greatest, he's phenomenal. Emily Watson is great as well but this movie is for Sandler to shine. PTA does a good job with the camera work to create an environment of isolation and distortion, which fits Barry's characteristics. The love story between Barry and Leena is very engaging but predictable. And the addition of the phone sex line plot is completely irrelevant to the story but it does exhibit Barry's passion and devotion to Leena. The music, just like the camera work is very distorted and fits the movie. The Superman theory is also I threshing but still some of the plot seems irrelevant to Barry's goals.
July 5, 2016
Utterly brilliant PTA/Sandler art collaboration. What a perfect casting choice. PDL is a character study that makes you feel exactly how Sandler's character is feeling the entire film (very Charlie Kaufman esque). He's such on odd character, yet ironically relatable. It's like you're a fly following him around the entire film. The first half or so is simply uncomfortable. The film is set in LA, but no beautiful scenery to be found anywhere. It opens in a bland office inside what feels like an endless warehouse. Everything about Sandler's surroundings is depressing. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as always as the sleeze bag mattress store owner. His conversations with Sandler are great. Unlike pretty much every other PTA film, with PDL he rewards the audience with a happy ending which is why this is one of my favorite films of his. Brilliant use of music. Flawless direction. There's isn't a film like PDL. It's a masterpiece and one of the craziest romantic comedies you'll ever see.
July 5, 2016
A very strange flick that would be better without all the drum "music" (really noise) so you could hear what the characters are saying. Love Emily Watson and Adam Sandler showed a different side of himself as an almost Rainman type role. Not a fav, but not too bad.
July 1, 2016
Punch Drunk Love is Adam Sandler at his best it's a Oscar worthy performance. The music in this movie is beautiful the music is a character in this film. This film is slow at times but it's still one of the best romantic comedies that I have ever seen. Paul Thomas Anderson's directing in this movie is one of a kind. This movie is really different and that's what I love about it.
June 25, 2016
If you didn't think you could like watching Adam Sandler in a movie I challenge you to watch this. A wonderful story where the big man actually has a performance worth talking about.
½ June 22, 2016
The best acted movie Adam Sandler has been in personally. The Director is great, which in return the film is well directed. The cast is solid, along with the acting which is very strong. This film isn't for every one. I personally liked it myself. The film show that it's okay to be sad and love. How love can change someone. I dug the message but I think most of the casual audience will not like it. Which put the film rating at 3 1/2 out of 5
½ June 20, 2016
Adam Sandler is funny in Paul Thomas Anderson's unique comedy.
½ June 19, 2016
Emily seems a little too theatre-y for the part. There is a lot of satisfaction in this film.
½ May 30, 2016
Bizarre in the worst possible way, messy and unfunny, Punch-Dunk Love is a stain in Paul Thomas Anderson's remarkable filmography - although it does get slightly better if we pretend Adam Sandler is not there.
May 16, 2016
Good. Not very fancy, not very strange. Just a different kind of love, or hope story in fact. Finally a movie that tries to explore about people with emotional trouble without trying to show them as heroes just for being like that.
May 13, 2016
What a brilliant movie, just incredible the way the script shows women shaming men, the impact on a man, it's really must watching!
April 14, 2016
"Punch-Drunk Love" and I have an interesting history together. I watched this film during college and thought that it was awful. I gave it a second chance in 2011, assuming that it could not have been nearly as awful as I remembered... and it was worse. Finally, I gave this film a third chance (forgetting that I had given it a second chance) in hopes that a greater knowledge of stylistic film would help me to better understand this odd presentation. I still didn't get it, but appreciated some of its unique characteristics enough to bump my rating from one star to two. And now I will never feel the need to revisit this film again. I mean it this time. More than anything, I wish that I could make sense of the critical acclaim for this film. Part of the problem could be personal preference. I didn't care for director Paul Thomas Anderson's "Inherent Vice" and I straight up hated "The Master," so maybe I'm destined to dislike his style. Then again, my wife was completely on board with me, commenting that "it's as if the studio took the ten worst movies that they didn't want to make and threw them all together. 'Some random piano story? Okay. Adult phone service gone wrong? Got it. Awkward love story? Why not!'" I love Adam Sandler's stupid humor roles from the 90's and his serious roles from the 00's, but this falls somewhere in between and ends up falling flat. The third time around, I found myself enjoying his outbursts more and really rooting for him as an underdog, but is this performance really worth a Golden Globe nomination? The redeeming piece of this puzzle could have been Philip Seymour Hoffman's character but he was limited to less than six minutes of screen time and the most interesting facet of this story is largely undeveloped. At times, the music gets so loud that you can barely hear the dialogue. At first, I was extremely bothered but then I realized that the director is trying to make the audience feel the same angst that Sandler is experiencing. Well played Mr. Anderson. Maybe I just don't get it, but "Punch-Drunk Love" is a dark comedy that feels random and unsatisfying. I just cannot recommend this swearfest-without-substance in good conscience. Not even after giving it a third try.
April 11, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love is one of the most underrated films of all time. it is an amazing character study about love, anger, pudding, and phone sex fraud. sound weird? you don't know the half of it! Adam Sandler gives the best performance of his career in this movie and he has a blast with it. all of the characters are interesting and the ending is satisfying to the very last frame. if you like sandler, check it out. if you like P.T. Anderson, check it out. if yiu like great film making in every aspect, check it out! love this movie and it's one of Anderson's best.

10/10
½ April 3, 2016
I. Absolutely. Love. This. Movie.
Dark and hilarious, completely surreal, but its an oddly precise depiction of a kind yet lonely, awkward coupon-clipping guy who must overcome many obstacles to connect with a sweet girl who is mutually interested in him.
Those obstacles are the stuff of surreal dreams.
And nightmares.
And blazing hilarity:
-his 7 tyrannically abusive sisters,
-a phone-sex operator's 4 vengeance seeking brothers, and
-a huge mistake that he must stand up against and overcome in order to move on in his life.

Not for every taste, but its colourful, shocking, obnoxious, slightly disturbing, sweet, always hilarious, and completely off kilter.
Again, I love this movie.

I think the overkill of f-bombs and the phone sex dialogue alienated its intended audience of quirky romantics with a yearning for adventure, but with those things scraped off, this movie is a priceless tongue-in-cheek underdog masterpiece.

For me, its about how life crashes into you and around you, and the motivation it takes to accept and overcome the problems and make your dreams come true.

4.5 out of 5 streetside harmoniums

That's that.
March 29, 2016
When Paul Thomas Anderson first said that he was writing a movie for Adam Sandler, everyone laughed. It's hard to hear this film over the sound of everybody choking on said laughs- this is Sandler's best work by a longshot.

It's obvious that this was written with Sandler in mind because it touches into what makes (well, made, at this point) him appealing- there is just something unnerving about him, but presented with a certain meekness. I've just described your stereotypical closet axe-murderer probably but, I stick by my characterisation.

Anderson seems to relate anyway as he offers up a rom-com that's weird and funny and romantic but definitely the first one more so than anything else. Like much of Anderson's work, it's a stream of scenes with the occasional piece of brilliance. As a whole, it's more of a lived experience than a cohesive start-to-finish achievement but when it hits the nail on the head, it really hits it.

It's superbly cast all-round, and it's refreshing to see the likes of Emily Watson fitting in so well with such a darkly-comic work. It's niche to put it lightly but the appeal is there and there might just be moments that stick with you, as there were for me.

At the very least- don't let Sandler's name, combined with the rom-com tag, put you off from this one. This is a hidden gem and when we look back on Sandler's work (whenever he finally stops making films!), I have a feeling that this one will stand out from the bunch.