Punk: attitude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punk: attitude Reviews

February 15, 2014
Great documentary, highly suggest it
August 2, 2012
Seeing this for the first time in 2005, I was junior in High School. At the time I had just left the punk scene, and when I say what was the so-called punk scene at the time, it was comprised of punks who listened to 3 of the same bands. I was more of a pioneer of hearing everything possible, so when I viewed Punk Attitude on the IFC channel more that 6 years ago, my life would change forever.

This film has a lot of heart, it's Don Letts's love letter to an important time and how this reoccurring spirit of punk rock has always existed and bloomed in the 1970s to make its prominent mark as a huge cultural impact in history. Although it primarly leads up to focus on the 1970s punk scene, the film covers such a vast amount of essential punk history as far back as even to the 1950s and boomerangs to cover even today's times.

With interviews with great pioneers, historians, and bands of the genre (ie: Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra Mick Jones, and Jim Jarmusch), and the amount of coverage of the sub-genres that exploded from the initial explosion of punk.

All in all, see this fuckin' movie. It'll educate you, entertain you, and most importantly, inspire you.
December 18, 2011
Det tar mig över en timme att inse att jag redan sett den här dokumentären för några år sedan, men det gör ingenting, Det här är väldigt underhållande + Hur kunde jag glömt att New York Dolls var så jävla bra?.
½ May 17, 2011
Good historical doc.
January 31, 2011
A comprehensive and straightforward history of punk, with detailed coverage of the early movement and a more cursory review of the post-punk years. Lots of commentary from musicians and band members. My rating is based on the fact that I like the music and the history. If you're like me, you'll probably enjoy this documentary. I would have gladly watched a half-hour longer for more footage of the live performances.
½ November 21, 2010
Heisan hoppsann. Nice og fin fin rockumentar eller punkomentar hehe!! Masse godbiter her Bad Brains, Black Flag; dead kennedys osv osv osv. HURRA
½ October 26, 2010
I can't avoid being biased on this movie. I grew up this music and still listen to it constantly. It has a very good straight forward structure and style and it goes straight to the point without any sugar-coating. The interviews could be longer but they land well and fit right in with the story of the evolution of punk. I would like to see the full interviews from each of the subject in the film.

My biased rating is 4.5 although it really is a 4.0... I would rate it a 5.0 but, oh, well, I love this documentary.
September 2, 2010
I know there's a shitload to cover and blah blah blah, but all this movie does is reiterate the already WELL DOCUMENTED early punk days. It just treads old ground.

I'm not saying early punk bands don't mean everything to me. I owe my life to The Ramones and The Stooges (but couldn't give a shit about the Pistols, go figure), but it's a total kick in the teeth to 80's punk rock, hardcore, and lots of other sub-genres/bands that deserve more exposure and documentation.

And seriously, Nirvana and Sonic Youth and all that grunge shit? Gimme a break.

Rabble rabble rabble.... and soforth.
April 1, 2010
Beastie Boys are NOT punk, they're just BAD.
February 24, 2010
A great documentary on the history and impact of punk rock, from the VU to Blink 182.
February 1, 2010
Very good documentary on Punk - it's origins to it's status today. The information is stuff I sort of already knew but I learnt a lot more and realised I like some of the bands on there that I have never bothered listening to. I also feel as though my generation has little to say politically with music. I feel as the 1960's, 1970's and even the 1980's had a lot more of a voice with it's music, and better bands really. I would recommend this documentary to anyone who enjoys good music.
½ January 26, 2010
Not bad for another documentary but a little mainstream lenient, Rollins is really starting to seem like a rambler that can't stop complaining.
January 24, 2010
The main point about this film is that it's Punk - ATTITUDE. It's not about mentioning all the bands, or following all the trends that spin off of it, but of focusing on that ATTITUDE that was at the core of why it took off, and showing where that spark was 'before' and 'after' the main media-drawing period of punk fashion, and how that spirit, spark, attitude, whatever, is NOT just defined by those kind of boundaries, or what 'looks' punk, or 'sounds' punk, etc., etc.

It couldn't possibly include all examples of that kind of spirit, either before, or since, and it certainly wasn't supposed to make sure it listed all the bands that have at any time acquired the punk 'tag', especially the very formulaic and conformist ones who are not really so in touch with the punk ATTITUDE this film is talking about.

It could have gone further, and deeper, and listed more examples, and shown lots that DOES have that attitude since and in the present, and gone even further back into the past. Maybe that would have got the point through to more people. But it's shown well enough here to those paying attention, and very clear to those who got it all along and still do - it's about clearing away the bullshit layers and wrenching yourself free of the 'follow me' forces of the loud crowds and their obvious expression around you, and touching the raw core of your individual self inside and your unique context and feelings, expressing it openly and without bullshit or genteelity, and giving it a chance to connect somewhere.

That's why even John Cassavetes or free jazz or Henry Miller or something was punk, or plenty else. And, yes, it could have brought in some of the rarer and freer and more interesting stuff that came later in both US and European Hardcore, and also the rare examples of such lack of rigidity in the Anarcho movement, but, well, on the whole these movements WERE too regimented and conformist, and those examples WERE relatively rare.

But, yeah, could have fairly looked at some of the freer examples of that stuff, but the attitude WAS clearly focused on, getting in all examples is not the point, especially seeing as they're endless. 'Punk' can be a fashion or a conformist boredom that excludes the punk attitude, but 'punk attitude' can thrive without any of the trappings of punk fashion, sound, image, whatever, just as it always has done, somewhere or other, though rare, probably as long as there have been human beings. This film fell into all sorts of probably unavoidable traps, and certainly is limited in some ways, but all the same, punk attitude is what came over, and that's what it was about.
January 8, 2010
Very interesting documentary on the scene, but skimmed too quickly over certain periods, I thought the fact that Thurston Moore was talking, they might take a longer look at the No Wave movement.

You can't put everyone in though! But I must say I was disappointed in the lack of Crass.. but then they seemed to be against everything else in England at the time.

Anyhow, good documentary. Henry rollins is a riot as usual.
December 3, 2009
If you didn't live this, you missed out!
October 26, 2009
a real education on who's who in the punk/protopunk/postpunk scene.
October 25, 2009
The most superficial (as in skimming only the surface) punk documentary I have ever seen. It's about an hour too short and doesn't include the Jam. What the hell?!
October 21, 2009
Good documentary. Interview with Henry Rollins was the best part.
October 18, 2009
Now I can really understand what my aunt was about when I was a kid in the eighties. I would love to add this to my collection.
September 19, 2009
Punk: Attitude is an excellent and varied documentary about the worldwide punk scene, sensibly starting from the Velvet Underground and The Stooges and ending with Nirvana (although I could have done without the late mentions of Green Day, Limp Bizcit, et al, even if it was implied that they were the definitive sold-out end of the punk ethos).

It doesn't shy away from problematic sections either, which is admirable - director Letts pretty much has to at least mention his own contribution to the history, and Siouxsie Sioux's opinion of Nancy Spungeon is fairly honest - and the inclusion of talking heads sections from the creators of Punk and Sniffing Glue fanzines shows that the grass roots of the movement had such an important influence.

Anyone aged over forty will want to watch this; anyone aged under twenty should be forced to - maybe they'll learn something.