The Puppet Masters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Puppet Masters Reviews

February 6, 2016
Terrifying when a child, not so much as an adult.
January 27, 2016
Pointlessly schlock ending.
February 14, 2015
Familiar but pretty well done.
½ December 30, 2014
Meh. Pretty standard, by the numbers pod people movie. Nothing offensively bad, but nothing all that memorable either...
November 26, 2014
It starts out smart and ends deadheaded then a broken doornail. Lacking plot mixed with boring suspense, it tried too hard. But Sutherland and the directing is decent.
½ November 12, 2014
Did It's Job To Freak Me Right Out. The Attention To Ghoulish Detail Is Pretty Good But The Story Is Overwrought With Extreme Horror.
January 14, 2014
Interesting premise, silly execution. The film quickly takes off into the action and doesn't really slow down, but it gets dumb and quirky quickly. Decent characters, great creature effects, lackluster ending, but ultimately a watchable goof.
½ July 3, 2013
Poor Directing, Weak Script & Dialogue Spoil Sci-Fi Thriller--What a stinker!!
½ April 6, 2013
Another take on the 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'-type story. I heard somewhere that the original 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' was a rip off of the book this was based on. Funny they should cast Donald Sutherland, star of the 1978 Body Snatchers remake. This was watchable, but nothing to write home about.
March 17, 2013
Feels longer than it is and has the urgency and suspense of a made for TV movie, but paranoid alien thrillers of this type are always at least kinda fun.
January 20, 2013
Why , Why can't there be more great Heinlein adaptations like this. I can watch this movie everyday and not be tired of it.
January 20, 2013
I dug the cast and have always liked the Body Snatchers idea. The aliens look cool and while it does lose a little in the last half and it goes on too long, still a solid flick. It is never a shock who the aliens get.
January 20, 2013
Very fine in the technical world, but the poor dialogue and the fact that it is devoid of suspense overshadows this.
January 8, 2013
Creepy and entertaining.
December 24, 2012
I think I actually got dumber watching this movie. The aliens took over people's bodies by attacking their spines from the back...but no one ever thinks to wear a piece of metal or something over their back... The first 5 minutes were pretty good, but it was a total poop fest after that in terms of dialog and plot.
October 11, 2012
a good movie, to bad it doesnt get the recognition it deserves
January 19, 2012
One of the most prominent themes in these films (the better versions anyway) is a perceived dichotomy between individuality and the nasty things humans do. I believe that this dichotomy is a falsehood. That the road away from "zombiedom" leads BOTH toward genuine expression of individuality AND toward greater control over our dark sides. But despite this disagreement between myself and the creator of this basic storyline, I still find the corresponding films to be very engrossing. Something about the slant through which these films can explore: the nature of sanity/insanity, what makes people we love who they are, character reactions to their world rapidly becoming and alien one, etc. Long story short: I've recently put myself through a little marathon of variations on this concept. Here is the list of films I've seen, in order of preference:

1) Invasion Of The Body Snatchers 1978
Oh what a difference well-detailed characters make to a film like this (or most any film for that matter). Great attention to detail in general and a solid filter for keeping the usual Hollywood BS out of it. This is the only version that manages to do that without fail.

2) Body Snatchers 1993
Rather good on the character detail side. Minimal BS.

3) The Invasion 2007
Quite a bit of lip pouting and the like, but ultimately not an entirely wasted effort.

4) Puppet Masters 1994
Pretty damn useless.
December 15, 2011
A captivating paraniod sci-fi thriller well directed by Stuart Orme, that features a outstanding lead star performance by Donald Sutherland, as Andrew Nivens the shrewd, sardonic head of a secret top-level U.S. Security Agency who leads his team consisting of agent Sam Nivens his disaffected son, Dr. Mary Sefton a specialist on alien biology from NASA, both roles are well played by Eric Thai & Julie Warner and agent Jarvis, nicely played by comedian and character actor Richard Beizer into an investigation of a alleged UFO landing in a small midwestern town, they quickly discover that small parasite-like extraterrestrials creatures have indeed landed and are taking control of the town residents and manipulating their bodies and minds like they were puppets, now Sutherland and his team face an escalating crisis as the creatures multiply and keep spreading to the point the the U.S. Army has to be brought in to stop the seemingly unstoppable alien menace. Solid supporting performances by Keith David, Will, Patton, Yaphet Kotto, Sam Anderson, Gerry Bamman and Marshall Bell, but its Sutherland superlative turn in itself that makes this motion picture worth watching. The film has several superbly staged action sequences, and an intelligent screenplay by Ted Elliott, Teau Russio, and David S. Goyer, which is based on Robert Heiniein's original story. Excellent visual effects with remarkable animatronic slug-like alien parasites creatures by Gred Cannorm, A solid piece of science fiction that has some genuinely creepy moments. Highly Recommended.