The Purchase Price Reviews

• Oct 29, 2017

Stanwyck escapes gangster boyfriend and becomes farmer.

Stanwyck escapes gangster boyfriend and becomes farmer.

• Aug 18, 2017

Oldie but goodie where Stanwyck goes from night club moll to Dakota mail order bride. Somewhat wooden acting, especially by Brent, but at just over an hour, a pleasant diversion.

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Mar 31, 2016

Barbara Stanwyck had me from the beginning, as she crooned "Take Me Away" so seductively in the movie's first scene, and she could do no wrong from then on. Those eyes, that voice. She's so beautiful, and so natural as an actor. She plays a nightclub singer who becomes a mail-order bride to a farmer (Jim Gilson) in the middle of nowhere after wanting to get away from city life. It all moves a little too quickly for her as she has a rapid civil ceremony practically after stepping off a long train ride, and that evening she rebuffs her new husband's advances. He's the sensitive sort and can't forget it, even after she comes around and makes it clear she wants to consummate their marriage, talking to him sweetly and sincerely, and later beckoning him with lingerie. The movie is not all that well regarded, but I found it sweet, and Stanwyck captivating.

• Nov 10, 2015

The Purchase Price is an excellent film. It is about a torch singer who becomes a mail-order bride for a farmer. Barbara Stanwyck and George Brent give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. William A. Wellman did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor.

• Dec 19, 2012

another pre-code wellman sr mail rdewr vbride, like my grandma was also.

another pre-code wellman sr mail rdewr vbride, like my grandma was also.

• Oct 17, 2012

3: I loved it, although it wasn't obvious why this was in the Forbidden Hollywood pre-production code collection. I suppose it's because it dealt with a fallen woman as it were, but the differences between this and films made under the production code is very subtle. It is a rather convoluted and unbelievable story, but it is certainly watchable. Stanwyck carries the film and manages to keep things interesting throughout. It's really just a good fashioned yarn.

• Mar 16, 2012

Wellman seems to work in extremes. He either makes a broad, difficult piece of social criticism (HEROES FOR SALE). Or he makes something that does little to challenge the audience. THE PURCHASE PRICE is, unfortunately, the latter of the two. It does have some moments. The pre-code circumstances encourage some rough violence at times and do allow for a more complicated relationship between Stanwyck and Brent. Brent is one ideal counterpart for Stanwyck's iron will. She always seemed too smart and shrewd to be a real sexpot, but Brent can bend through that and get some genuine feeling out of her. Something by which some much better actors are defeated. Wellman isn't particularly adept at photographing Stanwyck, although the pictures of her against the expansive farming landscape are Fordian. When not worrying about photographing ladies, the pictures are very clear and beautiful for 1932. The restoration also deserves credit for the wonderful preservation of imagery. THE PURCHASE PRICE says little and does so with nice pictures. It's always a joy to watch young Stanwyck, especially in her Pre-Code years. You might not learn anything, but you will see one version of love come to life.

• Oct 13, 2011

Stanwyck isn't nearly dressing and undressing as much as I have come to expect from her Pre-Code films. My expectations were not met, Barbara, very disappointing. Oh, right, the film, meh. And gah. A bah even. Who in their right mind would want to be a farmer? That's what grocery stores are for.

• Aug 20, 2011

It's not as strong as the other Wellman film on the same disc in the Forbidden Hollywood collection (Other Men's Women). However, Stanwyck is really fine here: charming, sexy, and vulnerable.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Nov 27, 2010

This movie is both cute and realistic at times. It's a pretty good movie, and Stanwyck gives a good performance, but the rest of the cast is just okay, this movie could have been better, I think, but it's still pretty good.