Pure - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pure Reviews

July 14, 2016
Extremely depressing and rather slow-moving, although young actor Harry Eden gives a powerful performance.
½ June 15, 2015
The performances give this depressingly dour story a face and substance.
½ March 20, 2015
As brilliant as Harry Eden's performance, as compelling as Molly Parker's, Pure is a remarkable experiences of cinematic character driven.
August 24, 2012
A powerful film about a mothers strong bond with her son and what her son is willing to do to save his mother from her bad drug addiction and the abuse from her dealer boyfriend whom she owes money to. Plus feature Keira knightly bravest and best performance to date. The movie is well write. And acted especially by 12 year old Harry Eden, Canadian actress Molly Parker and Keira all quite good and holds the film together.
July 31, 2012
The story needed more touchable elements, other ways Pure is good drama movie. Good acting and performances. Even kids did good job in their roles.
July 8, 2012
Okay movie. Thought much something else than the back cover said, but not completely waste of money though. And the European front cover was different... anyways. Good acting, great performances, but the story ain't that touchy to me. Somehow leaves me a bit cold. I wanted to feel for this film but it didn't give me more thoughts to flow, more... I don't know. Something was missing.
May 13, 2012
A little overbearing, though not entirely unwatchable. Good, but not great performances.
April 6, 2012
I want to see this, I wish it would let me
LWOODS04
½ March 11, 2012
Cast: Harry Eden, Molly Parker, Keira Knightley, Vinnie Hunter, David Wenham, Nitin Ganatra, Levi Hayes, Rupert Procter, Bronson Webb, Kate Ashfield, Marsha Thomason, Tyler Smart, Geraldine McEwan, Gary Lewis

Director: Gillies Mackinnon

Summary: In the wake of his father's untimely death, 10-year-old Paul (Harry Eden) must become the man of the house, caring for his younger brother and sick mother Mel (Molly Parker). When bullies taunt Paul by calling his mother a junkie, the boy soon realizes that the medicine he has been preparing for her is really heroin. Keira Knightley appears as a crack-addicted waitress in this bleak family drama set in West London.

My Thoughts: "It's very rare when you get a film that is so spot on with addiction and the tribulations it causes not only the person with the addiction, but also for their families. The little boy Harry Eden was very good in this film. A great young talent to take on such a harrowing character. Some of the scenes that take place are a bit shocking. For instance, when Paul is preparing his mother's "medicine", at least that is what he believes it to be. Another is when Mel is on the bus with her two son's and her friends daughter. I was shocked and furious at what Mel does, but also relieved a bit. I won't say what happens, but for those who have seen the film you will understand. The film is gritty and raw and leaves nothing off the table when showing the honest glimpse in the life of an addict and a little boy desperately trying to hold whats left of his family together. All the performances are fantastic. This is one to see."
½ February 19, 2012
Pure is a dark and gritty drama about drug addiction and the bonds of family. The story surrounds a 10-year-old boy who's struggling to keep his family together and to help is mother beat her drug addiction. Molly Parker and Keira Knightley both give solid performance, but it's Harry Eden's performance that carries the film. Eden gives a truly compelling and moving performance that's heartbreaking at time as his character suffers the abuses of his mother, who's suffering from withdrawal. The film has some storytelling issues that cause the film to drag and wander a bit, which breaks up the momentum. Pure presents an interesting view of a family's battle with drug addiction, but it has some problems staying on message.
February 14, 2012
A ten year old boy is desperately trying to cope with looking after his mum who's a junkie, while she spirals down a slippery slope he is left to defend for himself and his little brother. Eventually Mel played by Molly Parker receives help for her habit after being caught by the police and accused of being a dealer. She has no choice but to go into rehab and clean her act up. Meanwhile she loses custody of her two sons who go and live with their grandparents. Eventually things work out for the family and the film ends on a happy note. Shame about them supporting West Ham. What's their song! I'm for ever blowing H...or is it bubbles.
February 1, 2012
This was good. Alittle on the slow side but the overall movie was done well.
½ June 14, 2011
powerful film. worth a look.
April 29, 2011
A very touching story. Harry Eden did a wonderful job!
April 29, 2011
This was a great story. It was really impressive. Harry Eden did a great job on his first big movie.
April 23, 2011
An amazing film. The performances were just amazing all round. Harry Eden was just astounding and Molly Parker is pitch perfect. An emotional film. I dare you not to cry. It might be viewed at too depressing a film for most but its a real slice of life story. Its shows a very real pain that drug usage has on a family. Nicely directed with a great script. Its a must see!
March 4, 2011
Disturbing look at the life of a dysfunctional family and the mother's
struggle with drug addition. The story drags in spots, but overall the
experience is worthy of a look. Harry Eden does a fantastic job (even
though the constant tongue movements drove me crazy), and the reason I even thought about watching this movie, Keira Knightley, holds her own as a strung out pal to the young lad.
½ February 9, 2011
I liked the entire atmosphere, but story seemed bit weird to me. I thought it's less realistic, but is it because of I'm Japanese? Maybe there are bunch of mom who are heroin junkie in England?
Anyway Keira Knightley was pretty cute and lovely, even though I don't think she is the best choice for this character ; )
weelee18
January 29, 2011
Some people say the film was too depressing, with no redemption. But maybe some films don't need complete, expected solutions. I feel that the ending to Pure was not altogether hopeless or fatalistic. In showing that there has been some triumph or progress during the course of the film, hopes are validated that Paul's life can continue to improve beyond the film.

This is a must see film for anyone that likes to be emotionally touched whilst watching a movie..
December 19, 2010
amazing acting, the movie is disturbing, but it shows the life of an drug user really well