Pure - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pure Reviews

½ November 28, 2010
Pure is a wonderfully yet disturbing depiction of the drug world seen through the ten year old son of a heroin addict.
September 10, 2010
I have been waiting to find a movie to write about that finally caught my eye as being really special and unique. "Pure" is just that movie and more. The premise of the film is the story of a 10 year old english child who cares for his heroine addicted mother, and unknowingly even helps shoot up her "medication" for her. When the child finally starts realizing the mother he loves so much is a junkie and how much he has been supporting her addiction, his and the lives of his family are turned upside down in an instant. As the family struggles with the mothers addiction, can they reclaim the love and bond they had before?

This a British/foreign flick that was directed by Gillies MacKinnon. I havent seen any of his other films but he does a tremendous job with this one. He captures the raw emotional presence in this film perfectly. It stars Harry Eden as Paul, the 10 yr old boy. Molly Parker as Mel the addictive mother, David Wenham (Faramir in the LOTR films) as Lenny the drug dealer, and Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean, Atonment) as Louise, a waitress who befriends Paul with a troubled past of her own. Eden for a young child does an amazing performance in this film, he carrries the film squarely on his shoulders the entire time. Parker and Knightley have great performances as well but its obvious who the real star of the film was and thats Harry Eden.

This film leaves such a powerful message on the viewer its hard not to feel the strength of the love between mother and son in this movie. It can get very dark at times and even throw some shocking moments at you as well. This is a must see for most people, if not more so to people who have dealt with this same problem as this may be the one film that can truly grasp the negativity and power drugs have on people and their familes. One side note that I want to add is the very unusual but unique musical score the film has, at times its almost like the movie is mocking itself but trying to add the presence of how the story might be told through a child's eyes.
½ September 7, 2010
Nothing in this film to suggest it should be brilliant and it's not but it's entertaining enough. I'm lucky enough never to have had anyone I know become dependant on hard drugs so I can't claim to know if its authentic or not in terms of its treatment of the subject. However it's pretty hard hitting (without being over-dramatic and unwatchable) about it and the one death/one life saved balance seems fair.

Hard to look beyong Eden as the lead character young Paul in terms of best performance, although he's done little else except 'Dodger' in Polanski's Oliver Twist. Knightley, Parker and Wenham act well whilst it was fantastic to see Geraldine McEwan playing the gran role.

The film was set in London without being too overtly cockney (except the slightly pointless references to West Ham United) which was refreshing. Nice to have some scenes in a good old cafe too! Music score was a bit one dimensional but the main theme, repeated throughout, was pleasent enough.

More than anything though I actually cared about what was going to happen in the end. I can't say it moved me in any way but I felt I could relate to Eden and Knightley's characters in some strange way. It won't amaze you but it's worth a watch!
½ August 28, 2010
When the film opened with a 10 year old boy cooking his mother's heroin hit, the tone of the next 90 or so minutes was set. Anchored by the best child actor performance I think I've EVER seen--thank you Harry Eden and bravo--'Pure' is an in your face story of drugs, poverty, and family. It also seems appropriate to compare this film's "viewer discomfort" with that of 2009's 'Precious;' 'Precious' might just be a bit harder to watch, but both effectively thrust the audience into the lives of kids in different but equally terrible situations.

I highly recommend 'Pure' for its outstanding performances and its painful but necessary images.
August 8, 2010
I did not expect to like this film. The beginning just shocked me.
½ June 3, 2010
Very gripping and sad story about the perils of drug addiction. Yeesh.
½ May 31, 2010
Another fine addition to MacKinnon's canon, this moving kitchen sink drama portrays the effects a mother's heroin addiction has on her 10-year old son. A visit to 'broken Britain' it's worth making at least once.
½ May 21, 2010
Great story, great cast!
February 16, 2010
A little overbearing, though not entirely unwatchable. Good, but not great performances.
December 26, 2009
A 10 years old boy named Paul (Harry Eden), take care of his younger brother Lee (Vinnie Hunter) and his sick mother Mel (Molly Parker). After her husband died, Mel became an heroin addict. But when Paul finds out the truth about his mother's addiction, he will try to help her overcome it...

Great performance from 12 years old Harry Eden (1st time on big screen) and Molly Parker, also 17 years old Keira Knightley, did a pretty good job in her role.
½ December 2, 2009
I saw this film for the first time in 2003, I wanted to see it because I like Keira Knightley. I ended up loving it because of Molly Parker. Her performance is nothing short of brilliant and she surely deserves more recognition and roles worthy of her talent.
October 3, 2009
Sounds artsy. Might be interesting
September 30, 2009
the scenery reminded me of brazil SO many times. besides that, the movie was was complex and interesting. well done.
½ September 19, 2009
A movie depicting struggles of of the effect of drug abuse, single mother, and death on a small family. really enjoyed this movie.
August 15, 2009
de las mejores peliculas que he visto, molly parker magistral su actuacion....en verdad la recomiendo
½ June 24, 2009
An edgy, almost gritty look at the real-life evils of drugs.
June 11, 2009
oh what a life but was a good movie
½ June 8, 2009
Another very real "drug drama" molly paker plays a heroin addicted mother. Keira knightly a heroin addicted young confused slut pretty much. The son of molly parker's character does everything to get his mom off drugs and steals the show doing so. Touching film!
March 14, 2009
Inglaterra que tienes que me encantas? una peli hermosa super bien actuada y musicalizada de una manera maravillosa, una mas sobre drogas con un final predecible pero que deja tranquilo aunque no necesariamente todas las historias acaben igual
February 15, 2009