Pure Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pure Country Reviews

August 11, 2016
I grew up with this movie. Never gets old!
June 1, 2016
this move has so many good parts in it there is parts where just break down in cry in it. and then there's parts where I don't cause the movie is so good just watching him sing and ride those horseies. that
what I like about this movie.
½ March 26, 2015
You people suck No sex or violence so of course you don't like it
½ January 19, 2015
Sensitive and undeniably heartwarming, Pure Country delivers a memorable performance by one of country's greatest musicians, George Strait, as well as a solid female performance by Isabel Glasser.
½ January 19, 2015
Sensitive and undeniably heartfelt, Pure Country delivers a memorable performance by one of country's greatest musicians, George Strait, as well as a solid female performance by Isabel Glasser.
November 5, 2014
It's GEORGE STRAIT! Of course I'm gonna love it. Down to Earth movie; absolutely love it. My personal favorite film from any Singer. Not to mention the incredible soundtrack!
September 18, 2014
George Strait was great in his big screen debut and it resulted in some of the best music he ever sang in I Cross My Heart. This film is defintiely underrated and will surprise you once you watch it since you can get engrossed in what it feels like to be a huge star.
June 24, 2014
I really loved this movie wish he would make more movies.
June 17, 2014
Love This Movie! I've Seen It Like A Million Times And I Never Get Tired Of Seeing It.
June 13, 2014
The movie is country music. I love it.
August 24, 2013
When singers try their hand at acting, the end result is usually less than stellar, but George Strait's film debut is saddled with more problems than just his blandly likable lead performance. "Pure Country" also has a story riddled with cliches, one that is so familiar and predictable that it didn't need to be told one more time.

Strait is essentially playing himself, and he's pretty successful at that, but his down-home charm and admittedly good looks can't cover up the fact that he has very little chemistry as an actor. The camera and director Christopher Cain obviously love him. You can tell that from the glorified way that he's filmed, especially in the concert scenes, but he isn't much of an actor.

The movie also falters in the other key area in which it should have shined and that's the music. I've never really been a fan of country music, but I like it when it's good. Here the songs are surprisingly weak for a film that showcases the entertainer as prominently as this one does. It doesn't represent his best work, but I'm sure his fans would disagree.

They will also probably eat up the homespun humor and the benign, dull relationship that develops between the star and Isabel Glasser. Like the rest of the film, it's all very nice and non-threatening, but there's not much to keep you watching. If you're a fan of the leading man and this particular genre of music, then you'll find a lot to love in "Pure Country". I found it to be vacant and grossly under nourished.
July 29, 2013
The movie that made my husband FALL IN LOVE with me
May 27, 2013
Great movie! Always cry at the end
April 23, 2013
Excellent movie. George Strait is a beautiful person and this is a wholesome movie..we need more of these kind of movies.
March 10, 2013
awesome movie, the song i cross my heart is going to be my wedding song
½ February 25, 2013
Good heart warming family movie great
January 25, 2013
This is a great movie to say the least. It's the best biographical movie that I've ever seen, and one of the best period. It tells the story of the best country singer, George Strait. George Strait is a great actor in this movie. Yes, you'll actually see him get upset for once while he acts out the highs and lows of his career in this movie.
This movie made me respect George Strait more for what he had to go through to become the superstar that he is and there couldn't be a better ending to a great movie. Along with the great music that you'll hear in this movie, this is one of the top ten movies of all time in my opinion. If you're a George Strait fan or even if you're not, this is a GREAT movie and deserves to be ordered by anyone. NOTE: This was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I've seen this film several times since then and still love it, not only because I'm a big George Strait music fan, but it's a great movie to watch in itself, and even non-country music fans should watch!
January 12, 2013
I despise country music.
December 20, 2012
George Strait? Uh, no thanks...
½ December 14, 2012
I think its a 5 star movie...I loved it and love to see it over and over since i do own it.... giggle