The Purifiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purifiers Reviews

January 27, 2015
Great performance by Dominic monaghan, had so much potential but couldn't send the pplot far enough. Could have been the first movie like Divergent. Great plot and story line, not enough recognizable character.
January 11, 2012
Okay so let me just say I'm kind of disappointed... Well more like very disappointed because the trailer looked pretty cool but then it wasnt. This movie is about some Martial Arts Clubs who have created there own city infostructure. Then Moses who is pretty much like the president even though i guess there is some sort of goverment so it's actually like he's the president of the hood. So anyways they are seperated into differnt parts of the city and when one club comes into another clubs part then it causes problems anyways Moses comes up with the idea to form together so they can take over the whole city instead of the little bit they have. ( Sounds pretty good so far...right?) But then they all form together but the purifers dont because they are not corrupt like the others. (Yay for them) So Moses tells the other clubs to pretty much kill the Purifiers. Then crap happens blah blah blah and the main dude for the Purifiers ends up coming back to Moses and then they fight and it's all because a dude on the Purifiers set all of them up and then they go agaist everything they stood for blah blah blah lame. SO besides from the story line sucking it only gets worse. With horrible acting, stupid special effects that dont even make sense, and then the kung fu is downright horrible if you wanna get a picture in your head then picture you and your best friend who have come up with a fight scene and then you act it out only once and record it with really far away punches and lame kung fu since you dont actually know any and then you've pretty much got this movie. Then there was so much slow motion when if it was fast it would have looked a lot better. However 1 person was a good actor and that was Kevin Mckidd aka Moses who is or was a star in Journey Man. Then the other who did okay was Gordon Alexander. And I forgot there was one good fight scene between Moses and The main dude in The Purifiers. So all in all this movie doesnt even deserve two and half stars so im gunna change it to two.
July 3, 2011
Not a great movie, but not as bad as some reviews make it out to be. The acting is a bit wooden, and McKidd is way over the top, but the film has merit based on the idea that just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right. The "hero" stands up for what he believes in, in spite of all of his gang either turning on him or betraying his trust. The martial arts choreography is pretty decent too. Go in with an open mind, and don't let the small stuff (like the themes of the rival "gangs" - they had to do something to differentiate them) distract you from the purity of the story.
½ June 8, 2011
THE PURIFIERS (2004)
August 3, 2010
A hint of all movie makers: don't advertise an actor as the main character when he isn't. Dominic Monaghan is an amazing actor so to go on like he's the star of the film when he isn't is misleading. The other actors were terrible and the movie was just plain stupid. Also, does Dominic Monaghan have to die in everything he does, he died on Lost and in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, his death wasn't needed.
March 24, 2010
it was ok
really visually good, but lacked a basic storyline and plot development
no character development at all
it was basically just martial arts in an interesting environment
it was really confusing and i felt like i was missing an important, lengthy backstory
the acting of the main actors was good, but the background people were fairly horrible
altogether confusing and pointless
March 25, 2009
Never really got the plot but the cast
½ March 1, 2009
i thought that it had good elements the final fight scene monaghans betrayal but the actin was lac lustre and just a rip off of the warriors
February 2, 2009
I liked it. It starts right in with the "look at me I'm a martial arts movie" and just keeps on going. It stuck in just enough Bladerunner-esque stylings to establish itself as being futuristic without getting too caught up in making things different and technologiucally advanced. If you've visited Milton Keynes then you'll recognise much of the outdoor locations as clearly not Glasgow, it was the interiors where Glasgow popped it's head in more with a couple of scenes filmed in the Arches and in the underground system. The plot is simple and they keep it simple, the best plan in a pretty short action movie (85 mins). There are a couple of dubiously explained moments where someone is called upon to do something stupid like wander off on their own in order to better set up the next fight sequence but on the whole it's a simple 'these people want to beat up these people cause they won't play along'.

The Purifiers themselves are a straight split of three men and three women, we get a little background on one (Moz?) and subplot on Dom's character Sol and John's love-interest Frances. The hero and leader of the gang, John, is played fairly straight, his main plot point being his previous friendship with the now bad-guy who wants to take over the city, Moses (played by Trainspotting's Kevin McKidd) and the ubiquitous honor and refusal to compromise of most hero's.

The fighting is very nicely done, most of the cast are very experienced martial artists excepting Kevin McKidd (the only one who was occasionally body doubled iirc) and Dom (who gets his ass kicked mostly by women). It's not a very violent movie, there are only a couple of moments that might make you cringe a little. For the most part the fight sequences are stylish and very dance-like with lot's of back flips and interesting high kicks. All of which were performed as is, there was no wire work.

The acting was for the most part fine, a few shaky moments; the lead was strong, the bad guy was strong, Dom was Dom, some of the more minor players were a little akward on occassion.

In summary. I scored it excellent on the little card they gave us, but that was influenced by Dom's presence. It's always easier to get into a movie in which you have an existing interest. Without Dom I still would have liked the movie but it would only have been good. It's an easy watch, attractively filmed, the score is good, the editing is just interesting enough without becoming gimmicky. Worth a cinema visit but not so big and flashy it won't work fine on video or DVD. Go and see it, lie back and enjoy it, don't ask too much of it. It is what it is and it does it well.
½ September 29, 2008
It was a random choice to choose to watch it, bad choice on my part. This movie is too much reminiscent of The Warriors, which was a great movie.
September 17, 2008
Love it! Dom was brilliant! This fighting movie is expectacular. I know people dont always love indi films, but this one is a very good indi film. I have seen so many, I could watch as many indi films I want.
August 28, 2008
This film was painful to watch. What could have been an excellent martial arts film fell flat on its face. The editing, story, dialogue, acting, music, script were awful. The slow motion karate action could have been skipped to make the movie intense, but instead it made it appear like the actors were memorizing a bunch of moves they had no idea how to use.
July 11, 2008
½ June 29, 2008
Not the worst film ive seen but not the best either, some good moments but overall felt let down, could have been better. Although i liked the use of MK's locations! lol
June 16, 2008
P. Buckley is right. I'm glad I wached on netflix watch instantly, so I cut my costs a bit. I would have screamed for my money back if I saw this in the theater.
½ June 14, 2008
Wow, I've seen a LOT of bad movies...but none as bad as this one!!!! Take the classic movie The Warriors, strip all the bad-ass out of it...fill it with Artsy style film shooting and themes. Throw in some bad martial arts (and I mean BAD martial arts)...bad actors reading piss poor dialogue...and you come out with this turd of a film. The only redeeming thing about it was that it was only 1hr 22mins long (and that includes a TON of slow motion shots)...
June 11, 2008
I only wanted to see this because Dominic Monoghan, plays Charlie in lost, was in it.. It is so funny. It's a british kung-fu movie. HAHA. It was so bad, it was good. The acting was good, they just took themselves so seriously it was cheesy.
½ March 8, 2008
boy o boy! i haven't fast forward 80% of a movie for a long long time. the plot is whack, and all the martial arts scenes have bad choreographies. every other aspect of this movie is made of pure cheese.
½ February 5, 2008
this movie is crap, it has copied the warriors done an awful job, the fights are unrealistic and loaded with unnecessary sound effects, just total crap
½ January 12, 2008
A cheesy film with a very bland plot line. I though that this movie took itself too seriously and the action scenes weren't that great either. Not a very interesting film.