Movies Like Purple Rain

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Purple Rain Reviews

February 3, 2014
Watched this over this weekend. I forgot how crazy it was. Music great. Acting not so much.
January 11, 2014
"Purple Rain" is a musical fantasy, designed to showcase some great songs and performances by Prince and the Revolution. And, as such, it is an enjoyable commemoration of his career, before he went fully weird. There is some emotion, but nothing compares to the music scenes. It has a wonderful soundtrack, featuring a range of genres.
July 21, 2011
U need 2 see this movie.
December 8, 2013
No argument that 'Purple Rain' is one of the very best soundtracks of all time. Even I own it. The film itself....At least watch the footage of Prince & the Revolution perform the songs.
October 6, 2013
On a technical and auditory level, this film isn't too bad. But on an acting and storytelling level, it's absolutely dreadful. Prince and friends seem lost is a sea of melodrama.
Lou S.
August 7, 2013
Great story, great music, bad acting
July 5, 2013
I've been a fan of Prince since I could remember. Purple Rain brings back memories of being in my parents house with awesome music. I wish Price would make more movies today, but I also know he's an artist in his own right. I would love to attend a concert of his, which are few and far between.
January 10, 2012
A spotty film with bad acting and a decent story that should've been fleshed out more. The musical performances are all great and the soundtrack is one of the greatest Pop/Rock albums of all-time. The style of the film is so splendidly 80's that I would recommend it for any fan of the 80's.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 17, 2013
Purple Rain is a surprisingly average musical drama starring Prince. I had heard countless things about this film, and I finally checked it out. Well, it's not a great film by any means, and the film is more famous for its soundtrack, which is quite good. The film has its fair share of faults, but manages to be entertaining due to an interesting performance from Prince. I enjoyed the film, but I felt it could have been better. The songs are obviously the standout aspect about the film, and the plot is a bit cliché as it's something we've seen many times before. Those interested in this genre of film will surely enjoy this one; others will find it not quite enjoyable. By today's standards it's quite dated, but it is a far better film than the remake of Hairspray and Rock of Ages. Some elements on-screen work well, but others don't and you clearly see where the film fails. Purple Rain should have been a great dramatic musical, but it only touches the surface in many ways. In the end, you are left wanting more than just a good soundtrack. Prince has done some stellar work in terms of music, but as an actor, he just isn't cut out for it. At least the songs he has written for the film are memorable, and that's the main reason to see this film. I'm not normally one to enjoy this type of music, I'm more into Heavy metal, but the tunes here are timeless and it is fun to see Prince perform them. The plot could have been reworked a bit as well, but overall this is a good film to watch when you have nothing else better to do.
February 20, 2011
Meh. I guess it's rewatchable for the music scenes. All in all, its just a narcissistic dabble into Prince's rockstar life with some terrible acting and a brilliant soundtrack.
April 7, 2013
Fortunately,"Purple Rain's" banal message and poor acting are successfully dimmed by Prince's style, grace, sex appeal and, notably, musical genius.
March 30, 2013
Still sort of confused after seeing this movie but I love Prince so I'll take it.
FilmGrinder S.
March 22, 2013
It's hard to take the emblem fromally known as a artist, seriously. That aside, the movie is unforgettable.

Pureifiy yourself in the lake of Tittycaca.
March 15, 2013
absolutely luv prince yhis is one of my all time favorite movies
March 3, 2013
This film is not bad. If anyone ever tells you it is they are a liar. They are lying to you. This movie is so underrated.
February 25, 2013
As a big fan of Prince I can't help but like this but let's face it, it's not that great. I also love Morris Day & the Time too but here the whole story takes itself too seriously whilst it is more cheesy than anything.
February 24, 2013
i liked this movie alot
thomasinawhite976
February 20, 2013
Always loved the eighties movies!! Purple Rain will always be one of my favorites!!
December 11, 2010
Had to re-watched this again, it seems more enjoyable on the big cinema for a reason. Purple Rain is just a classic 80's movies if you're into funky music, guitars, and just some groovy 80s music. The story line just gives it something extra like a pause, while anticipating more music coming the way. Its really fun to watch with a friend and just laugh at some of the quirky scenes. Truly underrated artist for being his own unique way.
January 11, 2013
If you do not like this movie, I cannot talk to you.