Purple Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Purple Rain Reviews

June 21, 2016
I watched this film recently because a friend told me it was great and that Prince was a musical genius. After watching this film, it validated what I always suspected. This was not a great film and Prince was an overrated musician.

This film is Prince. This launched his career and music. In my opinion, his career never did much else after this. Never again did he release great hits despite so many years in show business. Prince was in the 90s, 00s and 10s, much like the Rolling Stones have been after Tattoo You in the early 80s. At least the Stones had a myriad of classic hits from 1964 to 1981!

The film plot is light fare. Apollonia is teen boy wet dream fare. Prince's music is pretentious fare. His guitar playing is lightweight and overrated.

Despite not being a Prince fan, he has a tremendous amount of hit material in this film. Objectively, this is an okay watch, but not a good or great film. Predictable plot. Prince takes himself way too seriously. I assume fans bought into this. I never did. As a guitarist myself, I never had any respect for his musicianship.

The film defines the 80s Prince music genre.
June 7, 2016
Prince, will be missed.
June 3, 2016
This is Prince at his all time best. If you can get past the awful plot and acting, what you will find is some of the best music ever. And, not just from Prince, but from the other band in the movie, The Time.
June 2, 2016
Please bring this back to the big screens on June 7th, every year, in honor of Prince's birthday! At least in Minneapolis!
½ May 18, 2016
It looks fantastic and there are some great musical numbers, but the story is stupid and Prince's character is basically a big a-hole.
May 18, 2016
In Summer 1984, critics trashed this film for poor acting and wafer thin script.. completely missing the point. The band rivalries and domestic violence are sidebars to the music, which carries the picture. 30 years on, one can easily see why this lifted Eric Clapton out of depression and inspired Springsteen. Purple Rain was a star-making vehicle for Prince, and when judged as a musician's film, it's flawless.
May 15, 2016
amazing for obvious reasons. still, the psychology in this film is dark and deep. glad The Kid redeemed himself.
May 14, 2016
Great music and great music performances by Prince are the obvious highlights of this film. The story surrounded it is bone bare on plot. There are a few overdramatic moments, yet the real eyebrow raiser is the last song performance to end the film. Prince does a little hand gesture dance for "I would die 4 U" that includes pointing a finger gun to the head. Quite inappropriate after watching his father lying in a hospital bed after shooting himself in the head.
½ May 12, 2016
In the absence of proper storytelling and acting ability, 'Purple Rain's appeal almost solely comes down to its funky rock 'n' roll set pieces. The snippets of drama concerning Prince's violent father, music rival and his very rarely troubled romantic relationship acts as minor accompaniments for Prince to get on stage and sing his hits. In terms of its definition as a movie, it could be considered quite poor. However, the electric musical performances offering a sample of his widely praised live show experience means 'Purple Rain' is perhaps better thought of as an extended music video.
May 5, 2016
I had the VHS and watched it over and over again 30 years ago. One of my favorite movies of all time. Musical performances are fabulous and the soundtrack is one of the best ever. Through his acting Prince shows the sensitivity that made him the ultimate super star.
May 5, 2016
RIP­???PRINCE­???­???
May 4, 2016
A Great movie for my money, some may like it some may love and some may just hate it, but what you have to wrap your head around is that this movie was made with the music in mind not to be a the best movie ever made, the cast was made up of people and groups from his label that he had under contract. but like I said this was mostly about the music and some small peeks into Princes life and a few of the truths about his life, because this was based on true events but in closing if you need someone to explain his music then your not grown enough for this MOVIE
#RESTINPURPLE
½ May 4, 2016
While the music's great in the way that 80s music was, some of the plotting and the drawn out nature of the film leave something to be desired. If you're watching it for Prince and his music, fashion, and attitude, you won't be disappointed.
May 2, 2016
Despite some real hammy and clumsy acting, Purple Rain is pretty good. The story of the Kid is interesting, and often sad.
May 2, 2016
No disrespect to Prince. He's a great singer and performer, but when it comes to this film, it's awful. The storyline was terrible and all over the place. The acting was cringe worthy at best. The actors really overly acted when they didn't needed to. Theres a few moments that I almost wanted laugh because the scene was either absurd or badly directed. "Purple Rain" would have been better off if it stayed as an album rather than a movie. Might as well call it, "Prince: The Concert Movie." Yes, I know the movie was made to show his talent, but was it difficult to least to make the storyline decent?
May 2, 2016
Thanks #AMCTheaters for showing #PurpleRain at your theaters this past week. I went twice, and both times, the theater was filled with fans of #Prince, and even was singing in their seats. #Epic
May 1, 2016
Saw Purple Rain Last Night At Rave Movie Theater. Prince Was OK As (The Kid) Trying To Make In The World Of Rock And Roll In Minnesota. Best Part Of Movie Was Morris Day As (The Kid) Rival. Prince Music Was Truly Outstanding. I Give His Music (5 Stars) Prince A Musical Genius Will Be Missed.
May 1, 2016
just as good as it was when it first came out