Purple Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Purple Rain Reviews

May 2, 2016
No disrespect to Prince. He's a great singer and performer, but when it comes to this film, it's awful. The storyline was terrible and all over the place. The acting was cringe worthy at best. The actors really overly acted when they didn't needed to. Theres a few moments that I almost wanted laugh because the scene was either absurd or badly directed. "Purple Rain" would have been better off if it stayed as an album rather than a movie. Might as well call it, "Prince: The Concert Movie." Yes, I know the movie was made to show his talent, but was it difficult to least to make the storyline decent?
May 2, 2016
Thanks #AMCTheaters for showing #PurpleRain at your theaters this past week. I went twice, and both times, the theater was filled with fans of #Prince, and even was singing in their seats. #Epic
May 1, 2016
Saw Purple Rain Last Night At Rave Movie Theater. Prince Was OK As (The Kid) Trying To Make In The World Of Rock And Roll In Minnesota. Best Part Of Movie Was Morris Day As (The Kid) Rival. Prince Music Was Truly Outstanding. I Give His Music (5 Stars) Prince A Musical Genius Will Be Missed.
May 1, 2016
just as good as it was when it first came out
May 1, 2016
The music is spectacular! The Story is Nuts! The Directing is insane, but the best part of the film is Prince himself and his performance really brings the film to be one great experience. Highly recommend it!
April 30, 2016
In 1984, Prince was only getting started. He was hot off the success of 1982's "1999," whose multiple hit singles catapulted him into stardom as one of rock's most versatile (and most mysterious) performers. An artist in his shoes would simply capitalize on recent triumph and outdo themselves with their next release, hoping audiences would continue on their musical journey with them. But Prince, the founder of Minneapolis sound and an icon of stylistic androgyny, was not your typical musician. With hopeful music executives by his side, a band of amateur filmmakers and actors was strung together to make a movie supplementing his subsequent album, "Purple Rain" (1984). Resulting is a sonically electric, if dramatically stale, musical drama unforgettable in its vision.
Prince, then twenty-six, stars as The Kid, a young, troubled Minneapolis musician trying to make it in the music industry. With a slot at the famed First Avenue nightclub, he's destined for superstardom - but with an unstable home life (his father is a drunken abuser) and a tense relationship with his bandmates (guitar player and keyboardist Wendy and Lisa are frustrated by his refusal to take their solo work seriously), there's a good chance that he might derail a rewarding future before it can come to him.
Rivalry comes in the form of Morris Day (playing a fictionalized version of himself), a charismatic showman taking up another spot at First Avenue, and romantic interest is embodied by Apollonia (also playing a fictionalized version of herself), a hopeful torch singer possessing looks that could kill a man. So it's a problem when Day oversteps his bounds and threatens to steal Apollonia away from The Kid - the latter, much as we love him, isn't so levelheaded when confronted with jealousy. Fortunately, his musical responses to his setbacks are explosive.
As a child of the 2000s, one can say that my love for Prince is entirely different from that of your hip father in his fifties. A music lover whose fanaticism over the Purple One has lasted only for a reasonably brief amount of time (I've inherited most of his catalogue through my enthusiastic dad who'd rather not think about Prince's defiant 1990s), indulging myself in his best music has been a central part of my life. And yet, viewing his iconic "Purple Rain" has escaped me for years.
Upon hearing of his tragic death a little over a week ago, I've been feeling empty and unappreciative, as if I didn't quite treasure him enough while he was alive. I'm sure the majority of his fans feel that way, too - most thought we'd have him long into his 90s, still playing knockout shows around the time retirement home living would have been more suitable. Seeing him live was on my bucket list; I want to kick myself for not attending a concert and having an out-of-body experience in the process, but, once again, the opportunity never came to me. All I can do, for now, is surround myself in his music, his few interviews, his recorded live performances, and "Purple Rain."
Though he had a brief film career in the 1980s (he disastrously directed and starred in Old Hollywood homage "Under the Cherry Moon," "Purple Rain" semi-sequel "Graffiti Bridge," and headlined a concert movie revolving around his "Sign o' the Times" tour), "Purple Rain" remains to be his crowning cinematic achievement. A typical show business drama carrying the sweet scent of moviemaking inexperience (sorry Albert Magnoli), it avoids delving into so-bad-it's-good-territory by depending enormously on Prince's spiritual duende, and by wisely spending more time with musical sequences than with dramatic ones.
I'm iffy regarding its theatrics - The Kid's tragic home life is more contrived than anything you'd see in a typical TV-movie-of-the-week, and his relationship with Apollonia is developed hastily and thinly - but the overarching ambience of "Purple Rain" made me forget to think about my many inhibitions. It's much too lovable for skepticism. It has, in no doubt, dated in the thirty some years since its release, and it has, if anything, become a cultural artifact rather than an ageless mini-masterpiece akin to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (1975).
But we can also feel the abundance of feelings audiences of 1984 did while watching "Purple Rain" for the first time, most notably the feeling of being overcome with an affection for Prince. It's like we're discovering him all over again, becoming as new as he was to most at the time. And in some ways, its campiness and assemblage of démodé hairstyles and outfits has made it better; experiencing the sense of being transported to a completely different time is intoxicating and, dare I say it, fun.
So while "Purple Rain" is pretty bad - nobody in it can really act, the writing and directing amateur at best - it's a good kind of bad, nostalgic and good-natured and passionate and sometimes thrilling. The soundtrack is stupendous, Prince a great presence. Kotero is lovely, and Day is an effective bad guy, if you can even call him that. The climactic rendition of the titular song is almost religiously potent.
In response, I can't give "Purple Rain" a failing grade, or even an average one: I loved it, despite its shallow dramatics. Extreme bias sat on my shoulder throughout viewing, and I've been devoted to its soundtrack for years. But anyone buying a ticket to see the film in theaters again all these years later undoubtedly feels the same way. One doesn't just like Prince; there's a special kind of love for him that latches onto a part of the soul, never to unhook. I miss him terribly. But what an amazing legacy he's left behind.
April 30, 2016
In the early years the network was hungry for content. Certain artists such as Prince, Michael Jackson and Madonna were quick to use videos to pump up album sales. Purple Rain takes the pop music video one step by making a full length movie with a music video feel.
The movie is made up of a cast of around 20 individuals with little to no acting experience. This type of film takes so many risks that it could easily fall flat on it's face, and yet it manages to fly.
The undertones of the movie such as violence against women were shown but not ever really addressed. I guess swallowing your pride and singing a trio of good songs at the end fixes everything.
Now that Prince is gone the movie gets elevated to cult status. It's a solid movie and a throwback to a simpler time. The music in and of itself lifts this movie at least one letter grade.
½ April 30, 2016
this is the movie that sky-rocketed the late Prince into fame
sure the story is corny as hell but it was a defining visual representation of the Regan years
this auto-biography really showed this artist's complicated yet successful music career and family/love life; he was told the only music he made meant a damn to him, his father was abusive towards his mother, and the love of his life wanted to make it to the top even if it meant signing up with a sketchy manager
but the music is ever-so impressive and you'll be tapping your toes and clapping your hands to many of the numbers
Apollonia is just as perfect as Prince playing Kid with her own troubles trying to be left behind
sexy, tune-filled, emotional, and filled with such passion
Prince Nelson will be forever remembered for his voice but also his commitment to life itself
April 30, 2016
Prince rocks in this film!
½ April 30, 2016
Prince sounded awesome, and Morris Day STOLE this flick!
½ April 29, 2016
Well, I've finally seen it. The music is all that matters, right? The musical performances are great. I love Morris Day and the Time numbers and funny bits.... but that's about it.
April 29, 2016
The film was great when i saw it in '84 at the age of 14. I still love the music, but the poor plot and acting is noticeable in 2016. Still, all it takes is a little cinematic myopia and some mental backwards time travel to enjoy it again.
April 29, 2016
One of the worst edited and written movies I have tried to sit through. High school plays have actors with more chops.
April 27, 2016
A classic movie and rock n roll opus.. Now Prince is gone and critics are picking on the "sexist" stuff. 2016 is not 1984 sad to say.
½ April 27, 2016
I would never have seen this movie if Prince had not died. All the attendees were so pumped up, they were clapping and screaming like it was a live show. The movie was so so, but the music was great.
½ April 26, 2016
Even better on the Big screen. He will be missed.
½ April 26, 2016
The music is just so good nothing else matters.
April 25, 2016
Amazing movie was amazing to see prince in theaters
½ April 25, 2016
Yesterday i had the pleasure and the opportunity to discover this little jewel from the 80's on a huge screen at the Metreon film theater in San Francisco. This is definitely the film of another era, another generation and another time when the dude could ride his bike, get the girl and sing his feelings with all his heart and guts still looking like a hero and a total badass. I doubt by today's standards the film film would get the same fame but rediscovering it is like jumping back in time when eyeliner ruled and hair cuts were the coolest ever. The storyline is pretty simple and straight forward but manages to be entertaining, thanks to numerous musical numbers and Prince holding it all on his tiny shoulders, proving that he was a giant in his art and a master of the scene. The acting was actually quite good and overall the film was very well shot, lit and scored. It's a beautiful love letter to music, art and love, all recurrent themes throughout Prince's eclectic and vast career. Purple Rain is a cult object, a film that defy time and reality to offer a unique introspective inside the world of a genius who at 24 years old was literately ruling the world of music and pop art scene. The crowd was cheering and applauding making the experience even more enjoyable and amazing. Purple Rain will remain one of my best time at the movies and a great source of inspiration for generations to come.