The Battle of the River Plate (Pursuit of the Graf Spee) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Battle of the River Plate (Pursuit of the Graf Spee) Reviews

½ January 21, 2009
Hade alla förutsättningar att bli en bra och intressant film, men oj vad det inte blev det. Ett tyskt pansarskepp sänker transportfartyg från den allierade sidan i början av kriget, men stängs till slut inne i Mintevideos hamn i det neutrala Uruguay. Sjöslaget är dock inte det minsta övertgande filmat, och de diplomatiska förvecklingarna i Uruguay lyckas man också göra ointressanta. Bra skådisar som sjöofficerare hjälper en liten smula, men mycket mer hade behövts. Den första riktigt dåliga Powell/pressburger-film jag sett.
½ January 11, 2009
Fucking upper class shite.
November 1, 2008
Another great Powell and Pressburger movie - and perfect for a Sunday afternoon matinee. Great naval scenes, although admittedly it slows somewhat when the Graf Spee is harboured in Montevideo.
September 7, 2008
I found this in a bargain DVD bin at a supermarket - the type of place where you normally only find cheap action and kung fu movies from the 80s. Well, on this occasion I was delighted to find this classic British war film for less than the price of a Big Mac. And a bargain it certainly proved to be - this film is a fascinating and accurate portrayal of the sinking of the German pocket battleship, Admiral Graf Spee. Made by the famous Powell/Pressburger team, the film features an ensemble cast including many personal favourites such as Anthony Quayle, Bernard Lee, Patrick Macnee and Christopher Lee. The characters portrayed in the film are more three dimensional and less steriotypical than many war films of the time, and the naval battle scenes are well done. The use of real warships adds to the realism of the film - the Cumberland is the real ship which arrived late at the battle. The only real complaint that i have with the film is that it makes no reference to the fact that Langsdorff, Captain of the Graf Spee committed suicide. Nonetheless this is a well made account of a particular interesting battle. Next time you were thinking of buying a Big Mac, try this instead. ;)
½ September 6, 2008
A good solid war film. Excellent performances, especially from Anthony Quayle. The availability of real warships contributes to the realism, though the harbour Graf Spee anchors in is obviously Valetta, not Montevideo. Trivia: Michael Goodliffe and William Squire, who work together observing the Graf Spee and tricking the Germans, both go on to play Callan's boss, Hunter.
½ July 23, 2008
great book too, written by Michael Powell to accompany the film
½ June 20, 2008
Great battle scenes, and especially good on detail of naval warfare. Loses its way a bit in the Montevideo sequences.. and why are we not told of Langsdorf's suicide? Great use of colour, but not one of Powell and Pressburger's best. Watch out for Christopher Lee as the Uruguayan bar owner. A US warship doubled up as the Graf Spee, and wouldn't allow any Nazi insignia on board... that's why the German gunners are all wearing American helmets.
June 16, 2008
A war time classic showing the might of the British navy versus the deadly German pocket battleship Graf Spee. An unusual section in the film shows the Graf Spee docked in neutral Montevideo after the battle. The bars, clubs & neon are light years away from the harshness of the sea battle. A gripping & moving ending, as with the British navy waiting outside port for her, the Graf Spee is scuttled by her captain to prevent any loss of his crew in the pending battle. Covers the story from both sides and portrays Captain Langdorf of the Graf Spee as a true gentleman of the waves.
June 10, 2008
I wish I could watch every movie ever made but I sadly don't have the time. I'm not interested in this movie because I don't think I'll like it or don't know enough about it to think I might like it. I may still end up seeing it some day though.
May 30, 2008
A pre-Dracula Christopher Lee has a small role in this.
May 18, 2008
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring. and i usually love powell/pressburger!
May 6, 2008
The first half of the movie has a brave purity in how it is soley about recreating a naval battle instead of telling a story, but then halfway through it tries to have it both ways and it lost me.
April 17, 2008
a wounderful and true story film of our brave men who saved this country from hittlers grasps, by saving out merchant shiping in the south alantic
½ April 10, 2008
Good old navy battle
½ April 7, 2008
The portrait of charismatic captains-gentlemen of enemy ships as charismatic gentlemen from the Nelson era matching their skills in naval warfare has a lot of potential, but the film fails to take advantage of it. Felt too long and rather on the boring side.
March 21, 2008
You cannot take anything away from this. Simply superb. Classic final shot - unbelievably moving, great artistry and integrity
March 8, 2008
The Royal Navy does what it does best, as depicted by some of Britains finest character actors.
February 18, 2008
Best Naval Surface Warfare film ever made.
February 15, 2008
A rarity among war movies; humorous, great battle scenes AND faithful to history. Admittedly some of the studio scenes felt a bit fake.
January 24, 2008
I must have seen it hundreds of times but never tire of it. Historical true grit.