Putty Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Putty Hill Reviews

August 9, 2012
A remarkable and powerful film, all the more effective for what it withholds as for what it shows. Perhaps the closest I've ever seen a traditional film come to cinema verite.
½ July 20, 2012
I can't believe that this wasn't a documentary, at least if it were, then there would be an excuse for it being so boring. You wait the length of the whole film for something to happen and it doesn't. I don't see the point of this film at all.
½ March 5, 2012
This film is as remarkable as it is bleak. There are very few films which tell it like it is but this is one of them.
½ January 23, 2012
Strange documentary-style movie. Worth a rental...I guess.
December 26, 2011
A compelling film that blends narrative and documentary film-making to create a portrait of a community on the outskirts of Baltimore dealing with the death of one of their own. The film takes a very deep look into these various people's lives and gives a unique, genuine view point into the community. Speaking to the youth of the area, Putty Hill perfectly captures the disenfranchised youth of America through having these people open up about their feelings and attitudes, while showing how their lives lack any true focus and how this boy's death almost feels meaning less in these youth who lack serious focus on doing something with there lives. Its a lyrical, poetic film that is once again rather hard to really explain, but should definitely be experienced. In a time where mumble-core films define the true indie genre, this film puts almost all of them to absolute shame.
December 10, 2011
Complete and total crap. A beautifully realized portrait, my ass - my 12-year old kid has made better movies than this overblown drivel. This movie was so slow and boring, it still had no pacing, even though I played it at 2x speed. Bad acting, poor sound, useless dialog and no plot. 97 mins you'll wish you had back, you've been warned.
½ December 6, 2011
This curious blend of documentary and narrative, held together less by any plot device than by a rigorous aesthetic, proves all the more effective for being in service of casual naturalism.
½ December 5, 2011
Shhhh....turn up the volume a little, don't talk. Just watch and notice how it sneaks up on you.
November 22, 2011
I wanted so to like this movie. Being from Baltimore, and having grown up in a social milieu not very dissimilar from the characters created by Porterfield, I was prepared to give it more than the benefit of the doubt. But it was so poorly acted, the narrative so confused, and filmmaking so naively and obviously straining to be arty, I could only cringe. Worst of all, though, is that at heart PUTTY HILL is a tedious morality tale that imagines its insights to be original and provocative. There is an ugly hint of contempt.
½ November 20, 2011
An uncommonly affecting and effective documentary/fiction hybrid.
November 12, 2011
I think that I am going to pass on this one.
½ July 25, 2011
The movie's low budget is too glaring to keep one involved in Porterfield's morose world. The shots are often uninteresting and has too little "pop" to make up for the often excruciatingly long shots/silences that seem more like filler than any sort of artistic statement. I attribute the good reviews to critics trying to find something where there is actually nothing.
April 13, 2011
Like cutting school and ending up stoned in an unfamiliar place. Or like being stoned in school with a familiar face. Or...
½ April 11, 2011
Shot here in Putty Hill, the story centers around a family dealing with a loss of one of its younger members. It is interesting take on a community close to home and it really captures an era, a family, a way of life. Amazing also that most of the film was ad-lib! However, I felt the use of documentary interviews should have kept its mistique or continued througout the film. Becomes quite repetitive and long at certain points in the film.
April 3, 2011
this movie was disappointing. it was far too long for a film that had no point.
½ March 26, 2011
A disembodied voice sporadically interrupts what could hardly be described as 'action' to interview the key characters, which doesn't help to make this strangely unengaging docudrama about a youthful drug overdose victim in suburban Baltimore any more palatable than it might otherwise have been.
½ March 20, 2011
A very profound and compelling look at death and is effects on everyone from family to people who barely know you. Matt Porterfield's direction ia ambitious and may not be for everyone, but I found it fascinating and original. Really hooked me in.
March 19, 2011
The most pretentious film of the year.
March 11, 2011
Playing at the Charles
March 9, 2011
Had to think about this one. I'm in the middle on it. I wasn't really moved by it. It had some very wonderful scenes but not enough to keep me 100% riveted. I was impressed by how well it captured the real Baltimore so just for that, I'd recommend you see it. Plus, the director seemed like a really nice guy. I think its great too that a local filmmaker is getting so much acclaim. Get out and show him some love!