Q & A - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Q & A Reviews

½ March 30, 2015
Not a great Lumet flick but Nolte give this movie it's bite.
September 7, 2014
Por mais que sejam as coincidências em que "Q & A" nos obriga a acreditar e os clichés que soma durante as suas duas horas, é palpável a sua pertinência na obra de Sidney Lumet, nem que seja pelo modo como revisita as mesmas questões sobre a atribuição de culpas, num crime de homicídio, e de como esse é um processo delicado. Lumet, mesmo com um argumento frágil e espalhafatoso em mãos, deixa-nos uma vez mais a pensar sobre a justiça e a sua aplicação. Tudo o resto é um carnaval de cinema ainda colado aos anos oitenta, com direito a uma canção-tema chamada "Don't Double-Cross the Ones You Love" e o Armand Assante a fazer de latino com um mullet gigante.
July 28, 2014
Leffa on korruptionkuvauksena auttamatta vanhentunut ja rautalangasta väännetty raapaisu. Kovasti Lumet yrittää valottaa lainvalvonnan rakenteiden korruptiota mutta valju maku tästä jää. Nick Nolte on kyllä kovassa vedossa.
February 18, 2014
It has a lot of problems, including a plot that seems at first to be overly complicated but eventually ends up being overly simplistic (and more than a little ridiculous), a tepid romance, and a really fucking terrible soundtrack. But Lumet kicks it along at an exciting pace (it's too long, but it somehow doesn't feel it), and the acting is excellent (apart from Lumet's daughter, who should stick to writing) so I enjoyed myself.
February 5, 2014
This is a weird one, in some ways it's great. It some ways its crap. Nick Nolte is crap, the big shoot out at the end (watch Nolte punch the air in front of Huttons face) looks really poor. I thought jenny Lumet was pretty good. Assante was the same as ever but with a dodgy accent. I think it over does it on the racial tribalism and the cop jargon. Its also a little hard to follow in places. Anyway, its actually a really interesting film with some interesting themes. See it for yourself. I don't really know what I'm talking about.
½ December 8, 2012
As a political film it's very good. It shows many of the nuances of corruption and crime and first of all, it's shows that the system doesn't work and doesn't want to work. In the end, if it goes to high up in the system, it's prefers to cover the problem up than to solve it. Some might say that it's just one among many other cop corruption movies. And sure it is and many of the others are better movies, but as I said, it has a better description of the system that is corrupt itself than most others. Also, the problem of corruption, racism and police violence still exists so obviously focus is still needed. But with all that said, the storyline never raises itself above average. The acting is good and takes the film as high as the script permits but that is just simply not very high. In the end, it was the political significance that kept me watching more than the plot itself. The acting scenes lacks reel action, the plot twist are non existing and neither is the suspense. A clear problem is that the plot is revealed all to soon to make it really exiting and "choking".
February 11, 2012
Other than the corny early 90s soundtrack, this is a good film about a corrupt Chief of Homicide and a psycho cop.
October 17, 2011
The acting, the cast, the script, the direction...it's all first class. The problem is that we're supposed to be surprised that politicians are corrupt. There's no shock there. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, just don't expect to be blown away.
October 9, 2011
21 years ago the story written by a new york state supreme court judge.
½ April 14, 2011
I finally start pronouncing pronouncing his name right on the show, and Sydny Lumet goes and passes away! My other DVD pick was 1990's Q & A. The gritty thriller is the only film he wrote and directed.
I've already recommended THE VERDICT too many times to count, and 12 ANGRY MEN holds up. Also worth taking a look at is NIGHT FALLS ON MANHATTAN -- Andy Garcia, Ian Holme, James Gandolfini, Richard Dryfuss...but it was Ron Leibman as the district attorney who should have won best supporting actor (wasn't even nominated!)
Almost forgot BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD -- thank you Ms. Tomei!
½ April 9, 2011
Superficially, this might be no more than a mediocre corruption thriller in eightiesâ(TM) style, but I found it entertaining enough all the same. Sidney Lumet has given us a quality product after all (and how could he not have?). The story has its complicated sides (not in the last place because the dialogue is at times lacking in audibility â" or is that just me?), but on the whole, the corruption intrigue is clear enough and oozing the sordidness we are expecting from this genre. The smell of corruption is evident from scene one, when we see the despicable Captain Michael Brennan (a formidable performance by Nick Nolte) set in motion his trail of illegal activities and cover-ups. The rest of the movie is a journey of sympathy with the righteous, sincere and idealistic Assistant D.A. and former policeman Al Reilly (Timothy Hutton), who slowly but surely discovers the (unexpected) core of all evil, while struggling with a piece of unprocessed hearthache that has miraculously wormed its way into the main plot (such far-fetched details are the main downside of âQ & Aâ?, in addition to the futile reason why Reillyâ(TM)s former girlfriend broke up with him and the fact that Brennanâ(TM)s intended target Bobby Tex (Armand Assante) wasnâ(TM)t overcome by petrol fumes in that boat). For the rest, this movie paints an entertaining picture of New York, its criminal underworld, and its police and law practices. I always remember this movie for scenes like Quinn (Patrick Oâ(TM)Neal) singing âQue Sera, Seraâ? and Bobby Tex and Det. Luis Valentin (Luis Guzmán) performing their macho-Latino verbal cockfight only to kiss and make up two seconds later.
½ January 15, 2011
Nick Nolte is scary good and Armand Assante is excellent, but overall the film gets lost its convoluted subplots
hunterjt13
September 12, 2010
Q&A is a fairly typical Lumet film in the tradition of Prince of the City, Night in Manhattan, and well, everything else since Serpico (with the notable exception of the brilliant Before the Devil Knows You're Dead). In a lot of ways it seems that Lumet got stuck on this corruption in the force thing and devoted the rest of his career to pounding that theme to death. I'm not denying the importance of his subject, but I've found it very easy to see where his films are going. What's odd is that because I'm such a fan with a broad knowledge of his work, I've found watching his movies for the first time less enjoyable.
One good thing about watching these older films (1990 is not that long ago) is I'm reminded of just how good some of these actors were in their prime. Hutton and especially Nolte deliver excellent performances.
Last, I did have trouble with the ending. I don't think the final note of the film was developed as the film's principal conflict. Hopefully that was vague enough to avoid giving anything away.
August 1, 2010
A powerful gritty well-acted crime drama, brilliantly directed by Sidney Lumet. About a wet-behind-the ears Assistant D.A. superbly played by Timothy Hutton who is assigned by his boss a smoothly villainous Patrick O'Neal, too investigate a killing of Puerto Rican drug dealer, which involves a veteran detective who is corrupt and psychotic, he is played by Nick Nolte in a powerhouse performance. Nolte steals the film hands down, he has never been so brutal and imposing, his foul-mouth maniacal cop is an unstoppable force of evil. O'Neal is a man with unbridled political ambitions and wants Hutton to do a routine by numbers investigation, to get Nolte who is his personal enforcer off the hook, writing up a Q & A with Notle and other principal players, they must fine a fall guy for Nolte. The film is rich with outstanding characterizations by a terrific cast that includes Armand Assante, Lee Richardson, Charles Dutton, Luis Guzman, and Paul Calderon. This is a hard-hitting crime drama that realistically depicts the racism and corruption in the New York City justice system of the early 1990s. Highly Recommended.
February 24, 2010
saw it years ago and liked it, however, I need to see it again to fairly rate it.
May 13, 2009
Good cast and director fails to hit home in this tale of corruption.
April 11, 2009
Just a decent actionfilm. Nothing really special though.
½ March 9, 2009
Très franchement, un des meilleurs polars que j'ai vus ! Sur un scénario d'Edwin Torres, grand écrivain hispanique inconnu en France, Nick Nolte livre une composition incroyable, qui méritait un Oscar. On trouve avec lui le trop rare Timotty Hutton, l'immense Armand Assante, Luis Guzman (un habitué des Soderbergh), et un poignée d'acteurs solides.
Au-delà d'une intrigue policière typique des années 80, il faut apprécier dans ce film l'évocation sans complaisance des tensions éthniques à NY et les attaques contre la police de la ville, à l'époque considérée comme la plus corrompue du monde. Un film remarquable.
½ February 22, 2009
nolte was good in this but this was just a boring police drama that was so drawn out.. some scenes went on and on and on.. if you want to see a great police drama just watch training day instead..