Quadrophenia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quadrophenia Reviews

½ December 7, 2012
Smartly, director Franc Roddam did not attempt to make a film-version of Pete Townshend's landmark album. Thus fans expecting to see their favorite songs given the big-screen treatment will be disappointed. Rather, Roddam has managed to capture the angst of the album's protagonist, Jimmy, by needle-dropping key songs from Quadrophenia and the 60's mod-movement over the time-course of a few summer weeks in Jimmy's life, culminating in a Mods vs. Rockers showdown at Brighton after which both Jimmy and the Mod scene find themselves at a cross roads. Quadrophenia is a unique and timeless film about those awkward adolescent years in which we find ourselves unable to articulate our dreams, frustrations, and acting-out means choosing between music, violence or perhaps both.
December 7, 2012
Great British Youth film, loved the young actors and thought they did a fantastic job.
½ December 3, 2012
Distinctly British yet universal, this film, inspired by the music by The Who, is a powerful coming of age story featuring a fantastic performance by Phil Daniels.
½ December 1, 2012
I watched it twice and it continues to grow on me. Gritty story, great music. The movie keeps its distance as well as The Who's music. Fantastic ending (slash beginning).
November 26, 2012
It's been over 12 years since I last saw this film, and I still consider it the best rock opera ever made.
½ November 17, 2012
It's better than Tommy.
November 8, 2012
It's like "The 400 Blows" with guyliner.
½ November 5, 2012
A rock-n-roll movie in the purest sense. This film version of The Who's concept album certainly has a storyline to it, but that's not director Franc Roddam's priority. Instead, Quadrophenia lets it's soundtrack and scenes of excess do the talking, and it acts as as a very fun generational statement, albeit not a very provocative one. (spoiler alert) The ending was a bit too similar to Harold and Maude's I gotta say though.
½ November 1, 2012
Maybe it's because I absolute love the 60's and 70's and anything to do with mod's, but this movie I enjoyed thoroughly. It's a brilliant interpretation of the constant war between mods and rockers, the urge to follow crowds to feel 'a part of it', and of course, trusting the correct people! I know I'm not the only one who felt particularly sorry for Monkey (the girl who obviously fancies Jimmy, but he doesn't even realize it) Jimmy is left alone by the end of the movie, which especially left me feeling connected and understanding towards him, but (though he doesn't realize it) he deserved it, as he did the same to Monkey as Steph did to him! This movie also demonstrates how following crowds develops hate towards different people, for no reason. Jimmy bumps into his old friend who he's not seen in years, and realizes he's now a rocker; this means that, as much as he doesn't like the thought, their friendship is over. So multiple meanings are hidden in this film, which is another reason why I loved it so much!
Jimmy is also very very attractive, so that's an immediate plus;-)
September 20, 2012
gets My vote, love the bath house scene
½ September 16, 2012
Enjoyed the Brighton ballroom scene most of all. Phil Daniels and the other kids were great, and it was nice seeing a young Ray Winstone as a Rocker. I have to say I think I prefer the Rockers to the Mods.
September 13, 2012
This is what it is like to be young, or it should be. The highs, lows, laughs and tears of being a teenager and feeling part of something and yet alienated at the same time. A cool, sassy film that gives a brilliant snapshot of mid Sixties Britain against a superb soundtrack. A fabulous, intoxicating movie.
September 8, 2012
Quadrophenia is a great film not just because it details british teen angst, but timeless, international teen angst.
½ August 28, 2012
Good film, great soundtrack! :-)
½ August 28, 2012
Tommy wasn't the only high concept album The Who made. Four years after that classic came Quadrophenia, which in many ways, despite Tommy's status as something of a musical icon (there's a stage show now) is tighter, more musically rich and much more focused than its predecessor (it's actually my all time favorite album). And like Tommy, Quadrophenia spawned a feature film as well, released in 1979, and one that has been criminally under-rated and under-appreciated for years. Now it's finally getting its due in a fine Criterion edition DVD. This coming-of-age drama from director Franc Roddam is set in the early '60's and centers on Jimmy (Phil Daniels, a dead ringer for Pete Townshend), a self-made London mod decked out in natty clothes as he cruises on his Lambretta scooter. Along with his mates, they gobble up amphetamines and raise all-around hell whilst keeping a lookout for their sworn enemies, known as Rockers, who prefer motorcycles. The music isn't as prevalent to the film as it was in Tommy, but Roger Daltrey's throat-shredding track 'Love Reign O'er Me' does come up a lot. The show-stealer though is Sting, who looks the part of a veritable badass in a leather trenchcoat, playing charismatic Rocker Ace Face. It's a performance worthy of a rock star.
½ August 27, 2012
A Massive Surprise. Brilliant music and Brilliant Acting
August 24, 2012
Been wanting to see this for years and was not dissapointed,well worth watching just if its to try and spot the soon to be famous faces,Ray Winstone appears as does Timophy Spall in his movie debut,Tragic Gary Holton also shows up if only for about 10 seconds and Leslie Ash is gorgeous.
½ August 22, 2012
Rebellious,Rock & Roll and mayhem;the dawn and twilight of a mod.One of best rock opera.
August 16, 2012
Classic film based on The Who's classic rock opera! A film that fits into the lexicon of British realism.