Queen Sized - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Queen Sized Reviews

½ April 15, 2015
Admirable concept, HORRIBLE acting. Annie Potts is the only believable actor in this piece of crap. If this girl was really that mousey and pathetic, shame on her. I've been fluffy my entire life and been picked on my entire life (PCOS...I've never been an overeater/junk drinker) and although I'd have reacted to the nomination the same way, I'd have never fallen into their traps to sabotage. I hope the real girl has grown a backbone. Funny how the lead in this move has lost weight and done nothing but a reality show since. Ponder...
February 15, 2014
The movie seems really good
½ December 26, 2013
This was okay. Nothing great about this movie. And I hated the way they show her only running for food when she is miserable. Not all fat people eat when they are miserable. It was okay..I thought it was going to be better. It was nice to see the chubby girl having a good friend by her side.
January 6, 2013
love. this. movie. so. much. it. talks. about. standing. up. to. bullies. and. never. let. them. get. in. your. way
½ April 6, 2012
It was an interesting choice to edit this movie's cover photo and slim down Blonsky's picture. I think that is very representative of this entire movie. There is way too much time spent on calling this girl fat and not enough on any other topic in this movie. No part of this movie feels authentic.
January 28, 2012
Sounds good. I liked Nikki Blonsky in Hairspray and this sounds good.
½ January 21, 2012
It was okay... It had a good message but I got bored throughout the movie.
½ August 25, 2011
Not the best movie ever, but very enjoyable and has a good feel to it. I quite liked it.
November 10, 2010
this was a really good movie. (:
August 18, 2010
A cute movie, I hope that Nikki Blonsky does not fade off into lame t.v. movies.
August 11, 2010
Fat people don't whine about their weight THAT much...Whatever Nikki represented outside and to everyone was what it feels inside sometimes - I can believe that.
I've heard "fat" about 300 times in this movie, people don't give a shit about other people. The movie is more unrealistic than "Cinderella".
What was with the mother "imagination" character? Ridiculous.
½ March 20, 2010
Average in every possible way, or just another way of saying high school is a war zone. The acting is good though, with teenagers that make it look all natural. Also the ending is not as predictable as could be expected, so you can count this on the plus points.
½ March 6, 2010
Your supposed to feel sympathy for Maggie. I just wanted to hit her over her head repeatedly. The storyline is good but the acting is overdone.
½ February 11, 2010
A cliche' but wonderfully inspiring film about believing in yourself and aspiring to be all that you can be. As usual Nikki Blonsky's acting was flawless.
½ February 10, 2010
Queen Sized feels like a Lifetime movie made for MTV. The film's editing is ridiculous - showy swooshing transitions carry viewers from one scene to the next, and the characters are pretty much all impossible to relate with.

It's about Maggie (Blonsky, of Hairspray), an overweight girl who has more wrong with her than just physically. Her father was also overweight and died of diabetes as a result. Maggie's mother loves her daughter very much and is extremely concerned about her weight. Wouldn't you be if your husband died because of complications which arose due to his weight? Maggie doesn't understand this, though, because she has severe mental issues that need to be dealt with immediately. No matter how much her mother reinforces the fact that she is simply concerned about her daughter's health, Maggie only hears, "You're fat and I hate you." No, I mean, she literally hears that: she imagines her mother wearing a slinky black dress and insulting her constantly. These imaginary bits provide actress Annie Potts (Ghostbusters) with a chance to over-act splendidly.

No matter what you say to Maggie, she takes it as a fat joke. She is extremely sensitive. So when a group of girls bully her by adding her name to the Homecoming Queen nominations list, she surprises them all by agreeing to continue the contest. She wins, by the way. Oops, spoiler alert? Oh wait, it's in the opening scene - no big deal. Maggie's friends all rally behind her, but she is blind to the fact that there are actually people (her mother included) who do not see her as just a "fat girl". She actually may be the only person who sees herself that way.

From there the story is pretty rote, as Maggie wins over the whole school by being the underdog, or at least by not being the mean girls. There are a couple of kind of uncomfortable scenes where we hear black girls mm-hmming their opinions about the Homecoming competition from behind closed bathroom stalls. There's a fantastic moment where Maggie tries to get a heavier girl with piercings and blue hair to join in her crusade. "I just thought that you, of all people, would be willing to help me," Maggie says in surprise when she is turned down. This is perhaps the one moment when the movie takes a step back and realizes that even Maggie herself has her prejudices.

But then it seems we're back to making excuses for her. The only time she really has to face any repercussions to her actions is when she starts gaining notoriety and forgets the friends who got her there. But even then, the idea is just about giving credit where it is due and not about getting some professional help for your mental problems or at least just getting over yourself. Maggie's mom is supposed to be a social worker, but she doesn't seem to understand anything about her daughter's social behavior. Maybe it's just too close to home for her to recognize.

And so on. There's nothing particularly exciting here. Most of the characters are flat or obnoxious and the story is mostly predictable. There are a few instances where the editing goes from irritatingly MTV-esque and straight into glaring mistakes. Take, for example, a moment where Maggie's mother is answering a phone. From standing in the kitchen behind her daughter, there is a quick cut and suddenly she is standing next to her. Things like that are too easy to spot to just leave in a finished film.

In other news, Lily Holleman co-stars (which is kinda the entire reason I watched this movie) and she does a pretty good job of it.

All in all, Queen Sized was ridiculous, but mostly enjoyable. I didn't sympathize much with Maggie, but I still enjoyed watching her terrorize everybody around her; and I liked being the only person who could recognize the pain that she really was. The plot was dumb, of course, and I couldn't help but laugh at how everybody was just dying to get into South Carolina University. But other than that, it was just a harmless little flick. Okay.

P.S. This is spoiler: the nicest girl in the movie turns out to be, yes, the mean girl! Shock! I do wish that this was meant as more of a statement than just a twist, though.
½ February 6, 2010
A good coming a age movie. Anyone who went through high school not in the "IN," crowd would like this. It could have been done a little better because all fat girls do not grow up with low self-esteem or low parental support. But I can say some do beat themselves up more then others. It was an OK movie.
½ November 29, 2009
Ah, really not even sure
½ November 25, 2009
Poor fat girl movie!!!!!
November 23, 2009
I couldn't wait any longer to watch it with my sis.. so i saw it on my own.. and if i had seen it with abalee we wouldve made it a comedy.. cuz it was very predictable and u woudl know the plot ending. they played lots of music in the background .. it couldve been more fun if they had something entertaining to make it interesting.. But overall there was a message
just because you look that way doesnt mean u have to put us down.
½ November 6, 2009
C' di buono che cerca di trasmettere un messaggio positivo, ma purtroppo pesantemente utopico.