Serial (Bad) Weddings Reviews

• Jan 03, 2018

There's something about French comedies that involve a family drama that makes them so entertaining to watch. This is the case with this movie as well. I enjoyed it a lot.

• May 24, 2017

It's astonishing how this film appears to be misinterpreted outside France, where it got a great popular success. While far from being anywhere near sensational, it's a funny enough and cute comedy which does not convey but mocks stereotypes.

• Mar 03, 2017

Very funny. Ending a bit disappointing.

Very funny. Ending a bit disappointing.

• Jan 02, 2017

you have to know about the new France and all its racial polemics -- but this is a very funny comedy ... well written, very well acted, it makes fun of all ethnic stereotypes equally and ends with the requisite happy ending and a message of tolerance and understanding which is much needed (if not in vogue) everywhere

• Apr 03, 2016

Très bon. Beaucoup ri. Me fait penser à la scène où tout le monde se gâte dans Do the right thing.

• Mar 19, 2016

I saw this at a Jewish Film Festival and the Jewish crowd was laughing it up! This is only offensive to those who are perpetually offended and don't realize that laughing at our differences and insecurities is the way to make a multi-cultural society work.

• Feb 13, 2016

Silly, but not stupid. It's a fun reminder of our commonalities (as humans) rather than the common focus on our differences.

• Aug 15, 2015

Ce film est génial, plein de clichés c'est vrai, mais ceci reflète tellement les mentalités en France. Vraiment drôle, vraiment réaliste, parfait pour lutter contre le racisme. Ce film est tout bonnement génial, AMAZING.

• Jun 11, 2015

It's simple comedy, but it works.

It's simple comedy, but it works.

• May 18, 2015

Serial (Bad) Weddings is a seriously (bad) movie. The title in English is subject to laughter. When I said I watched this movie and I uttered the title, I just felt ridiculous. The original title in French is something like â??What Have We Done to God?â??, and it is equally terrible. And guess what? THE MOVIE IS AS TERRIBLE AS ITS TITLE. I probably should have known that judging by the title. This movie does not take itself seriously, and that is a huge problem. The premise of the movie is easy to grasp: some racist Catholic parents want their daughters to marry Catholics, but they each decide to marry a person from one of the different ethnic groups that â??composeâ?? the French society: a Muslim, a Jew, an Asian, and a Black person whose family comes from Africa. Now how convenient! You see, I have to accept that I laughed at some jokes, and I have no problems against jokes about race. I mean, I make them sometimes. But the fact that this film solely relies on jokes and punchlines based on the stereotypes of each of the ethnic groups â??portrayedâ?? is extremely questionable. Calling Jews Netanyahuâ??s and calling Muslims Arafatâ??s? Really? However, I do have to say that there is some truth about how things are portrayed in this movie, especially the parentsâ?? behavior. They reminded me of the atmosphere I grew up in, and it is kind of sad and pathetic that there are still ignorant people whose lives are based on making prejudices based on literally everything (physical appearance, family background, religion, ethnicity, occupation, economic background, and everything you can think of, I could go on forever). This is the reason why I am actively against this movie not taking itself seriously. It could have been done with a smart storyline, and some cynicism or satirization there and there. But no, it had to revert to cheap humor, laughable and inconsistent characters, and the worst plot Iâ??ve seen in years. I will provide some examples. So the last daughter wants to marry a Black person, so in order to save their parents from falling into depression, the other daughters (who already had non-Catholic husbands from different races) try to sabotage their sisterâ??s relationship, and their diverse husbands try to help! Even though if earlier in the movie they were having anti-racist commentaries. What is this movie? Why does it even exist? This movie gives such a bad name to French comedies, which have already stained their name over the past few years for bringing movies that are probably more formulaic and stupid than Hollywood rom-coms (I am dead serious about this). Donâ??t watch this movie, ever. Let it be forgotten please (I know this is not going to happen). I mean if people would not have liked this, it would not have gotten to fucking South Africa, SO STOP WATCHING TRASH LIKE THIS.