Quest for Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quest for Fire Reviews

February 22, 2014
While it can be repetitive on some standing still scenes, Quest for Fire correctly portrays the early human race in its unexpected next step to evolve as a society. I'm going to be a bit too deep on why this works, because a film with practically no legible language surely requires some deep analysis.

Quest for Fire works because it does put on screen how the primitive human race started to learn, adapt, think and even communicate via signs, facial expressions and mimics, way before we learn to have actual dialogue. It puts also how important the fire was for the world, and it's even put correctly on the first text of the movie: having fire meant having life. Through the movie, we see how some tribes relentlessly killed for this element, how much they risked to get such element, how far they needed to go, and we even get to see how our main characters learn to produce fire instead of having to go to the other side of the earth to get it. This movie also subtly puts how important women are in our evolution and develop as a race: one of them teaches our main character to be loved and even how to make love...that's weird but adequate, somehow. Also, she teaches the main character's tribe to produce fire, so, mission accomplished. Overall, Quest for Fire is an analysis on the mind of the early human.

It also has some funny stuff there, never too slapstick to feel like a comedy. A film without legible dialogue sure is hard to make, but director Jean-Jacques Annaud nailed it with this movie's crispt direction, pacing, humor and good execution. An entertaining film about the origins of communication.
February 10, 2014
best movie ever. anyone can view it and understand it. just wonderful'
February 7, 2014
It is remarkable what the writers could do with just basically nothing. Like playing with fire.
½ February 3, 2014
Just watched it for the second time and it was well worth it. Going to try to make fire with sticks too.
January 28, 2014
powerful pic i really liked this and have seen it several times
November 4, 2013
Has ZERO dialogue, but is a fantastic adventure film with interesting characters, that use a lot of non-verbal communication and rudimentary ancient language, to create an interesting film world with a simple, yet effective story.
½ October 6, 2013
This movie has a series of very interesting traits, the not least important being the absence of modern language use. Not one word spoken on the screen (and they are not many) is uttered in any language intelligeble to contemporary ears. It really challenges the viewer to think about what life must have been like before language was developed. Aside from some seeming anachronisms that feel a bit jarring, the film manages to maintain this pre-historice tone throughout the narrative. Very interesting project.
½ August 29, 2013
A journey through the essence of the human spirit--Unique prehistoric survival adventure!!
½ August 27, 2013
89%
The Quest for Fire...what an amazing movie.
½ August 10, 2013
Interesting take on early humans, but it feels much longer than it is. Slow plot. But fun seeing Ron Perlman in one of his earlier roles. I bet they didn't have to use as much makeup on him as the rest of the cast...
August 3, 2013
i loved it, but I cannot make myself watch it again.
July 20, 2013
helt ok för att vara 31 år gammal.
July 19, 2013
This is one of the worst movies ever made. It's just too dumb.
½ July 1, 2013
I saw this once in the theater upon its release and intend to rent it.
½ June 1, 2013
Another cult classic off the list. Weird. Lots of grunting, oddly misplaced nudity and shaved lions with glued on teeth to depict saber toothed tigers. Fun way to kill some treadmill running. Enjoy on Netflix Instant.
½ June 1, 2013
First time seeing this and it was really unique and interesting.
½ April 8, 2013
Definitely not a film for the average person - there is no comprehensible dialogue and the constant grunting may annoy, but it's interesting to see that a film can still be made this way and still have a coherent plot.
February 22, 2013
can somebody tell me how to watch movies on flixster i have tried everything!!!!!!
February 16, 2013
A bit boring, but a truly unique film.
½ January 14, 2013
Visually, "Quest for Fire" is an ugly film, and that's not just because all that it captures are filthy Neanderthals. The cinematography is drab and muddled and the idea of shot composition seems to have been ignored almost entirely. Whether this technique is intentional or not is beside the point; it makes the movie hard to watch. It's cool that there's an actual movie about cavemen and their discovery of fire, but it's hard to make unintelligent characters like these interesting or even close to likable. The locations are beautiful and the makeup is amazing, but I personally don't find much of interest in "Quest of Fire." It's a respectable work that I imagine some will grow to love; I'm just not one of those people.