Reviews

• 1d ago

1001 movies to see before you die. This was a unique courtroom drama mixed with a murder based around feminist themes. It was well made, but not one I need to see again. It felt like a tv movie. The soundtrack was remarkable. It was on Dailymotion.

• Sep 06, 2021

'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Murderous Intent, or, How I Learned to Treat Women with Respect so They Won't Murder Me.' This film wasn't made for me, let's just get that out of the way up front. A Question of Silence is an overtly feminist film that isn't exactly languishing in subtlety; three unrelated women incidentally converge on a boutique only to kill its male owner in broad daylight, his condescending attitude simultaneously bringing to a head their respective lifelong experiences of being subjugated by a male-dominated society. The circumstances of their motivations as well as details of the crime itself are gradually revealed through flashback and reflection with a psychiatrist, Habbema's Dr. Janine van den Bos, who comes to empathize with them. The female characters are given this universal, scarcely differentiated experience of suffering that forms an unspoken kinship, inspiring occasional bouts of rebellion that may or may not happen to take the form of disemboweling a man with a plastic coathanger. The film is intended more to inspire discussion on the 'quiet' subjugation of women in the form of a patriarchal society that offers technical equality while maintaining social practices that oppose true respect and acceptance, rather than an explicit promotion of vigilante retribution against men who disrespect women (which is the misinterpretation that seems to generate much of the film's controversy). Thematically, A Question of Silence actually seems a bit tame by today's more widespread acceptance of feminist film, but Gorris' work remains an important stepping stone in that acceptance. I'll have to take extra care when out shopping not to disrespect someone on the basis of gender so as to avoid becoming an unseen, graphically described corpse. (3/5)

• Aug 17, 2018

Loved it, used it in my women's studies classes. Have your women friends over to share a bottle of wine or three, and watch this film together.

• Feb 28, 2017

So much Mansplaining! Loved all of the unspoken communication here, the comradery of the women together came from a shared understanding of oppression. If I was a man watching this film, I might not get it.

• Oct 30, 2013

A female psychiatrist must establish whether three women unknown to each other who murdered a male boutique owner are mentally sane. A feminist reflection on frustrations and unhappiness, can be praised for character development though it is not as impressive in plot and resolution.

• Apr 02, 2012

Really falls apart at the end to a glorious, nonsensical extent.

Really falls apart at the end to a glorious, nonsensical extent.

• Apr 15, 2010

Starts off kind of slow but the movie over all is one of the most important feminist movies and raises many questions about the world we live in and how it may affect women.

• Apr 12, 2010

It's a shame to say that this is a well-made and well-acted film corrupted by a perverse concept. This is the worst possible argument for feminism, and it actually came closer to convincing me we should do everything to keep the concept from spreading. The film is about an average woman who tries stealing a dress from a male shopkeeper. The shopkeeper calmly confronts her and asks her to pay. Next, she and two other women in the store proceed to beat and mutilate the innocent man to death. They are imprisoned, evaluated by a female psychiatrist, and we are expected to feel sorry for them as if they did nothing wrong. Literally, we are supposed to root for these women that did this horrible, horrible thing. I am not saying this as a man, but as a person, and it's disgusting what this film tried to make its audience think. Because it did this, it is a terrible movie. A distasteful movie, and I never want to meet the filmmakers who believed in this garbage. Thank you.

• Jan 24, 2010

Die Stille um Christine M. - Der Debuetfilm von Marleen Gorris aus dem Jahr 1982 gilt als Meilenstein der feministischen Filmgeschichte. Dementsprechend hoch waren meine Erwartungen als ich ihn nun 28 Jahre nach Erscheinen zum ersten Mal sah. Meine Erwartungen wurden erfuellt. Der Film erzaehlt auf sehr beruehrende und gut inszenierte Weise wie Frauen erwachen und sich aus ihrer Opferrolle befreien. Die klare Botschaft "Frauen wehrt euch und schliesst euch zusammen!" macht Mut und hat an Aktualitaet leider nichts verloren.

• Jul 24, 2008

3 angry chicks in the 80's...a lawyer transformed...one badass chick director...great film.