Quill: The Life of a Guide Dog Reviews

Ian W Super Reviewer
    Jun 12, 2016

An absolutely lovely film that is more realistic than sentimental when compared to other films like this. I actually found that the film was also informative when explaining about guide dog training too. The ending, as you can imagine, is a little heartbreaking though.

• Mar 07, 2014

A movie about a dog. Enough said.

A movie about a dog. Enough said.

• Oct 11, 2013

"Good..Goood.." Yoichi Sai..another good filmmaker that I would look backwards to his previous projects,soon or later.The dog probably is the best attention's stealer,yet you too will be trapped by the story and Sir Yoichi Sai's shooting skill,it filmed in a realistic way.Doesn't matter this is related to actual event or Dog lovers,just go for it.

• Apr 05, 2013

I remember this movie in my Japanese class. Throughout the movie, Quill has related to my family's dog as well, yet all good things had to come to an end. Hopefully this heartfelt movie will inspire me to get closer to my cousin's new pet dog.

• Mar 01, 2013

• Leo L Super Reviewer
    Feb 14, 2013

This film was absolutely adorable! I have to admit that my knowledge of guide dogs and what they endure in training is slightly limited, but I have such a profound respect for these gentle souls and their lifelong dedication of serving humans with needs. This particular guide dog, Quill, is truly memorable- so much patience and understanding. His love for Mr. Watanabe (and vice versa) on several film spots almost brought me to tears. Please note that this film is set in subtitles but if you're a fan of films of all range this is definitely one you shouldn't miss. I highly recommend this film!

• Oct 29, 2012

KIDS FIRST! Film Critic Hunter Willow Jones (age 11) reviews the film below. Video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgy7bVBrI5M I LOVE this movie! It is heartwarming and the dogs are so adorable. I was not actually looking forward to watching Quill; I mean the title didnâ(TM)t seem very interesting. Also, it is a Japanese film with English subtitles, which didnâ(TM)t excite me. But as the movie progressed I like it more and more. Quill is the story of one special guide dog; a yellow Labrador named Quill because of a unique brown spot on his side. Shown as a docudrama, Quill goes from a small puppy with its mother being picked to be a guide dog because of his calm nature and sent to live with a foster family that loves and cares for him until he is a year old and then he is off to school where he learns to be the eyes for a blind person. Though Quill does not seem to learn as quickly as the other dogs, Satoru Tawada (KippeiShiina), Quillâ(TM)s trainer, is patient and sees the potential in him. Quill is teamed up with Mr. Watanabe (Kaoru Kobayashi), who is not a dog lover and does not like being blind. Though the pair has a rocky start, Mr. Watanabe grows to trust and respect Quill. The ending is inspiring despite it being sad. Technically, Quill was average with good sound and cinematography. The dogs in Quill are simply amazing. They are so well trained. I thought they were the best actors in the film. The subtitles were a little distracting, I didnâ(TM)t like that I couldnâ(TM)t understand what was being said and had to read it, but as I got into the movie that became easier. I liked seeing what life was like in Japan and that there are differences from my town like the way the houses look, but there are more things that are same like how we love our pets. When my parents and I were done watching Quill we talked a lot about the movie from what it is like to be blind to how dogs are trained to be guide dogs to the story and characters. Quill made us smile, laugh and cry, but it also made us think. Quill was released in Japan in 2004, but has just been released in American in May 2012. Quill is a wonderful movie for any age, but it is better for kids who know how to read. Kids and adults both will enjoy it. I give Quill five stars!

• Oct 27, 2012

Sometimes the Netflix recommendations are spot-on. I do love dog movies.

Sometimes the Netflix recommendations are spot-on. I do love dog movies.

• Aug 15, 2012

• Jul 27, 2012

This Japanese movie follows the life of a yellow Labrador Retriever from his playful time as a puppy, his years in specialized training, and his life work as the eyes and companion of his reluctant owner. Very sweet and entertaining story, quiet informative about the training process of these noble and remarkable dogs. Youâ(TM)ll probably also shed a tear or two.