Quilombo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quilombo Reviews

½ June 17, 2010
It was good to show all the historical facts from Quilombo dos Palmares, but I didn't like much the plot and some dialogues.
½ April 11, 2009
very interesting story little known outside of Brazil, about an enormous community of escaped slaves that ran their own miniature fantastic kingdom for many years. as a film, it is very unusual and an explosion of color. highly recommended!
March 22, 2009
Good Movie be sure and read Ebert's review. Very interesting to see the point of view of the free slaves in Brazil in 1600 and 1700 fighting for their continued freedom. I would have like the movie more if they had not interspersed the film with modern Brazilian popular music. It just did not fit in. I enjoyed the story characters and costumers were fantastic. The Dancing singing and staging of the dancing in the Brazilian town was incredible. the story/plot seemed a little over romanticized toward the side of the oppressed.( I guess for the Capoeira crowd in Brazil)
Highly Recommended.!! A very unusual and interesting historical drama set in the north east of brazil. Pernambucu. four stars
February 19, 2009
A true story about a settlement of escaped slaves in northeast Brazil who fought against the Portuguese captors for decades. They jumped from the highest cliffs of the mountains rather than be reenslaved.
October 23, 2008
Good movie with a good message.
½ October 4, 2008
A romanticized story of Quilombo de Palmares, the most famous settlement of escaped slaves in Brazil. Nothing great of this movie. It was a good story.
August 31, 2008
Cinema of resistance. Great film made from the point of view of the exploited. Fascinating alternative history and great looking. Made with passion and conviction
August 22, 2008
Blackfolx workin' it out, by any means necessary
August 20, 2008
Another all time favorite o' mine!
October 31, 2007
Pretty accessible for a foreign film; definite recommend for anyone interested in Brazil.
½ October 25, 2007
I stinkin' LOVE this movie! The energy, the colors, the determination of the people, the way the story is put together, the reverence for the culture of the people...I wish I could live in this movie...
½ October 12, 2007
Some parts are cheesy...but overall its just so cool!
½ June 16, 2007
A great film about the runaway slave community of Palamres.
June 5, 2007
A definite for those in the Pan-Africa field...