R-Point - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

R-Point Reviews

August 28, 2015
This is and absolutely fantastic film didn't see it until 12 months ago and was blown away by the action and suspense that this film makes, it grips the audience with an ever twisting plot into the human psyche. well directed and well produced film. best i've seen in a while.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Korean war movie with some horror like grudge style kinda. Not to bad and worth seeing.
½ April 18, 2013
Ottima atmosfera, però si vede che è stato scritto in fretta e poteva essere migliore. Guardarlo con i commenti del regista sembra dare una visione più accurata del film (e di quel che poteva essere)
March 25, 2013
Solid South Korean horror film about a group of South Korean soldiers searching for a missing patrol in Vietnam in 1972. It's quite enjoyable, with some creepy moments - mysterious soldiers disappear into the grass, the men are plagued by eerie radio messages. As a war film, however, it borrows a little too heavily from others in the genre. There are moments clearly echoing Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan. The disparity between the serious leads and the comic performances of the supporting characters also gave the film a slightly uneven tone. Nevertheless, a decent addition to the genre.
½ December 10, 2012
a very good military ghost story and it makes you notice small details
½ October 28, 2012
R-point me in the direction of the wikipedia page for this film so I can understand what the hell happened in it.
July 4, 2012
Frighteningly effective psychological Korean horror tale set in Vietnam War!!
½ April 30, 2012
Good movie. Great build up. The ending was a bit predictable, but overall it was a great movie. They did a great job on the setting.
½ April 25, 2012
Evil Dead meets Full Metal Jacket.
April 14, 2012
Not too memorable but interesting enough. For horror fans only.
January 4, 2012
It's not very often you get to see aspects of the vietnam war from a country other than the US and yet here's a Korean take on their actions during the conflict... of course, it involves ghosts but I'm sure many soldiers were seeing ghosts over there after awhile. Not exactly filled with suspense and jump scares, R-Point still weaves a pretty interesting story even if the scares aren't delivered and it looks pretty good too!
½ November 8, 2011
I see a lot of people comparing this to such movies as Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now. These people must suffer from open head wounds. For most of the running time R-Point works, as a good but not great thriller. There is a slowly building sense of dread as it goes on that thankfully never becomes overwhelming. It's not perfect as most of the men blend together and you really have no idea who is who. The real problem is that around an hour or so in the film starts to not make sense. Events become disjointed and there are some turns that seems out of left field. Granted this is a film that asks you to pay attention as little things early on show up later or give clues to what's going on, so if you look away you may feel lost. Which I did and I was lost but was pretty much able to piece it all together in the end. The pace was really slow moving and the scares just didn't happen. There were some really good scenes and moments though. I'd like to go back to it one day and hopefully it'll be better with multiple views but for now it's staying a good attempt that just didn't make it.
½ November 8, 2011
I see a lot of people comparing this to such movies as Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now. These people must suffer from open head wounds. For most of the running time R-Point works, as a good but not great thriller. There is a slowly building sense of dread as it goes on that thankfully never becomes overwhelming. It's not perfect as most of the men blend together and you really have no idea who is who. The real problem is that around an hour or so in the film starts to not make sense. Events become disjointed and there are some turns that seems out of left field. Granted this is a film that asks you to pay attention as little things early on show up later or give clues to whatâ(TM)s going on, so if you look away you may feel lost. Which I did and I was lost but was pretty much able to piece it all together in the end. The pace was really slow moving and the scares just didn't happen. There were some really good scenes and moments though. I'd like to go back to it one day and hopefully it'll be better with multiple views but for now it's staying a good attempt that just didn't make it.
October 10, 2011
Ponderous, full of what you'd expect from a sort of Korean "Platoon" with a couple of ghosts thrown in. Soldiers go crazy and shoot each other. Nothing the least bit surprising, original, or even unexpected ever happens. Largely pointless.
September 14, 2011
great. but.. ghost is....
July 26, 2011
Nice idea... one survives at the beginning, and at the end, and the story continues
July 13, 2011
Pretty good horror movie. It relies on atmosphere, which is good. The problem is that the majority of the movie is really quite boring to sit through and it's only in the last act of the movie where things really pick up. Cut 15 minutes from this movie, which you could have done quite easily too, and the movie wouldn't have been as boring to sit through as it was. Thing is, the atmosphere is good but, visually, the movie doesn't really do anything to enhance that atmosphere and it doesn't come on as strong as it, probably, should've. That's about it really, it's a slow movie until the last act which, just barely, makes the movie good.
½ June 29, 2011
Though the plot is a generic ghost story, the atmosphere of r-point is very eerie and suspenseful which is enough to keep any horror fan entertained.
June 24, 2011
It's 1972 and a "platoon" (more like a squad) of South Korean soldiers serving in Vietnam have been sent to "R-Point" to investigate an SOS radio transmission, seemingly from a patrol that vanished without a trace in the region 6 months prior. Unfortunately for our heroes R-Point happens to be the site of an ancient mass grave, ruins and a creepy old French plantation. Soon enough the men start seeing things and... yeah, you can probably guess the rest.

If the story seems old-hat it's because, well, it is - off the top of my head I can think of three recent films that share very similar if not virtually identical plots - Outpost, The Bunker and Deathwatch. It doesn't help that none of the characters are even remotely likable - a collection of whiny misfits led by a monotonous bore who are trying to break the record for the amount of times "asshole" can be said in one film! They're loud, unruly, unprofessional and you don't care what happens to them. It's kind of a problem.

The film is well shot and well acted (the characters may be annoying but they're believable) with one or two interesting ideas but it's not scary, there's precious little tension and more often than not it's just plain dull.

There's probably some deeper meaning going on - I certainly hope there is - but I fear it's been lost in translation.
June 11, 2011