Raavanan (Villain) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raavanan (Villain) Reviews

January 14, 2013
For Bollywood to cross over to "sci-fi" the storyline could have been so much more. The actors and some effects saved the movie not forgetting the song.
½ June 10, 2012
(tamil version)
Directed by: Mani Ratnam

This movie was just spectacular...in a weird way. I don't know why but it had such a "weird" tone all throughout the film...it was in a happy/wild/sad type of tone.

Raavanan is the modernized re-telling of the Hindu God Raavanan's story, which I am not familiar with, as I am catholic but after viewing this film I became very familiar with the story. The story is about a forest-inhabited village and its folks living their lives with no fear and happily, but the village also contains many of India's most wanted terrorists, who are the leaders of the village. The terrorists capture the wife of a indian cop who lives outside in the city, and so the cop who seems to have a huge backstory with the main leader of the terrorists, Beera, goes on a manhunt with all of his forces into the forest to find his wife and also capture or kill the terrorists, mainly Veera.

This is the film I have been waiting for a smart, epic, and sad tamil film, as most tamil films that have come out this year have all been no brain action films. Mani Ratnam is one of my favourite tamil directors and this film seems to be one of his weaker films. I think they should have edited some of the slow parts more, as they seem to just go on and an talking about one thing. Also, the story seems a little muddled, as I had a hard time trying to understand all of the little back-stories.

The film contains alot of violence and gore, like in one scene where Veera captured his dead sisters husband who ran away, and so with anger for running away when his sister needed her husband the most, he cut off his hand and stiched him to a straw doll and hung him on a tree with his cut-off hand in the the other hand.

Despite all that the film's amazing camera work, beautiful and exotic locations, well done acting, breath-taking dance numbers, stunniing finaly and acadamy award winning A.Rahaman's score all make the film "spectacular".
½ December 8, 2011
Melodramatic. Beautifully and creatively shot. A little crazy. And with a bit of a water fetish.
October 29, 2011
Movie Sucks Bigtime.Watch only if you hate your hard earned money!!
½ July 4, 2011
Raavanan was visually very beautiful. The choice of the cast and their performance was excellent. Vikram's acting was just too good for words and Aishwarya was gorgeous as always.
I liked the way Mani Ratnam gave an old epic story a new, modern clothing. It's different, intruiging and mysterious.
The music was great. I wouldn't expect any less from A.R. Rahman.
Raavanan had the perfect cast, story, direction and music. What do you want more?
½ April 22, 2011
As colourful, but a slightly darker story than usual out of Bollywood which is hard to warm to.
February 3, 2011
Beautiful told, Moving ,Strong, love story
½ January 16, 2011
SUPERB DIALOUGE....ESPECIALLY TAT 14 DAYS
January 13, 2011
What a disappointment and waste of time!
Ab's: Over-acting
Ash: Annoying
Vikcy: No words
Govinda: Please retire from the business!
Songs: Fast foward

It just reminded me of the mindless action movies of the late 80's, early 90's.
The only good int his movie was the cinematography.
December 30, 2010
I gave it an eighty percent only for Santosh Sivan's stunning cinematography and A.R. Rahman's wonderful background score and songs.
½ December 19, 2010
if you are bored, try this! it will succesfully manage to get you super bored!
½ December 15, 2010
story is ok. execution is ok. techincal values are the saving assets.
entertainment value is bad. the final grade of the movie is C
November 26, 2010
If it wasn't for the overall average camerawork, direction and editing, Raavan is a visual stunner whose adapted story employs a noteworthy thought-provoking concept.

After Ragini re-locates to a distant settlement called Lal Matti with her husband Dev, the head of the police, she becomes entangled in her husband's case to apprehend a bandit named Beera. In an attempt to seek revenge against the police, Beera kidnaps Ragini and intends to kill her. After seeing that Ragini is as fearless as he is, he keeps her in captivity, but releases any intention to kill her. Throughout the fourteen days that they are together the chemistry between the two characters boil just enough for the audience to understand and enjoy the presence of an underlying love between Beera and Ragini. As the passion subtly but powerfully buds, the plot becomes atypical to the original story when Ragini is finally simultaneously released by Beera and rescued by Dev. It is during these moments that the portrayal of Ravana (demon) and Ram (God) flip back and forth between Beera and Dev. The climax hits these points brilliantly.

Though the first half of the film was a bit slow, it establishes a strong foundation for the audience to better understand the chemistry of the ending. The beginning helped me define the characters in terms of good and evil, but as the story progressed, we felt Ragini's experience as the lines between Ram and Raavana blurred in and out between Beera and Dev.

Visuals: 10/10
(If this film would be recognized for anything, it would be for it's stunning sets, backgrounds, and overall visuals. Besides the setting, the camera work often caught the essence of the character. Examples at the top of my head: Provided she didn't have the longest dialogue, Aishwariya's eyes often expressed her character the most. Beera's reflection in the broken mirror in the camp was also a good visual.)
Sound/Music: 7/10
(Few songs were worth listening to, the others were useless and forced into the movie, often wasting time. Also, Mani Ratnam's attempt to dramatize Beera's evil presence by adding melodramatic clips of music was unnecessary; subtle, mild low undertones would have done better).
Camerawork: 4/10
Honestly, I was disappointed by the camerawork of the movie. I was expecting to be blown away, but there were only some moments in scenes that were noteworthy. Otherwise the direction was average; I expected more precise angles that better captured a moment/symbolism better. (Example: when Ragini was injured on the tree branch looking at her reflection in the water we couldn't see Beera's reflection and his expression clearly. Obviously Rutnam intended for the scene to capture the two reflections in the water, but it didn't pull through).

Overall: 6/10
Though the film had disappointing camerawork, editing and direction, its strong core of an adapted-original story and concept along with excellent, original visuals (in all aspects) makes it a movie worth watching at home and you are in a philosophical mood.
½ November 9, 2010
more epic than mani ratnam usually is. different vibe.
October 24, 2010
When he's posted to a provincial Indian town, policeman Dev (Prithviraj) goes after the local thugs with disastrous consequences. Outraged by Dev's attacks, Veera (Vikram), head of the bandits, kidnaps Dev's new wife, Ragini (international superstar Aishwarya Rai), and takes her deep into the jungle. Despite Ragini's initially strong hatred for her captor, the pair slowly starts to develop passionate feelings for each other, causing various emotional conflicts for the three protagonists.
The story is based on the Ramayana, a sacred Hindu text. The cinematography of the Indian jungles is so breathtaking that I was almost gasping for air. Raw with emotion, intense, tragic, and haunting, this Tamil-language epic is one of the best and most underrated Indian flicks in recent memory.
½ October 19, 2010
one of the best movies I watched this year. even thought it is as the old legend, the movie flows around Raavan (Beera)& Sita ( Ragini).

The description & all acts of Raavan is exactly as in the legend's Raavana; but sita is different. For the sake of the dramatic shape sita has been created as a strong character. The actors have done their best for the characters & there is no mistake on that. but the charisma of Aishwarya has masked the actual character of Ragini yet the director has shaped that in favor of the movie. on the other hand, Beera's character directly enhances the image of Abhishake it had been a great opportunity for him, still his closeness towards the viewer is present which is a characteristic in all his actions. character of dev doesn‚(TM)t do any good to the movie, though a strong background support for the character is available, his anger masks all, resulting in null character. Also the viewers expectation of the character (Dev) is not met though the person as well as the scren play. eventually the hero becomes a bad guy in the hearts of the viewer.

The way the screen play is created such that the charactor Ragini is the main roll & reset around her when ever she appears in the screen, but there are lost of instances where Beera is the center of play. It has a classic ending to Mani‚(TM)s style stops the movie at the peak.
½ October 17, 2010
Not a bad flick to watch on 'Raavan Day', I found it extremely beautifully shot and well, it wasn't that bad otherwise too. Decent time pass!
½ October 16, 2010
Same story line too much hype but not worth watching in theatre wait for it on dvd
½ October 9, 2010
talkin abt the hindi version...a bit more arty...othrwise a preeety gud fare!
October 3, 2010
i don't think this movie is excellent or outstanding but it was quite average. superb disappointment, waited too long for it but it disappointed me. Mnai ratnam's worst movie. its dull, loose and empty at places but somehow An exhilarating and thrilling adventure brimming with lush, breathtaking visuals, lively musical numbers and a captivating love triangle. Very satisfying entertainment for the eyes, ears and heart - mythic romance and action adventure to a throbbing beat. a dark sychologically trenchant modern retelling of the ancient epic The Ramayana. could have been far more better.