Rabbit Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rabbit Hole Reviews

May 12, 2015
Meh. It's a movie that exists.
May 10, 2015
What stands out here is the acting of Kidman, Eckhart and Teller. A story of a couple that lost their child 8 months ago and how they each learn to cope. A good movie that lets the details unfold gradually.
May 10, 2015
Among few of the movies, which brings real emotions into the screen. Nicole at her best.
½ March 15, 2015
Liked this movie, heartfelt.
½ March 5, 2015
Leisurely, understated, sometimes humorous, and very real-feeling assessment on the differing ways that people deal with lingering grief. Despite its unsentimental approach, the film is surprisingly uplifting. Kidman and Eckhart are both extremely good here...Kidman in particular fleshes out a not always sympathetic character with a naturalistic expertise.
February 22, 2015
Well acted and wisely staged melodrama portraying a couple whose child was killed in an accident.
January 5, 2015
Rabbit Hole is an outstanding motion picture featuring great performances from Kidman and Eckhart.
½ October 27, 2014
Typical Nicole Kidman movie. Very depressing and slow. Good enough acting, actually, really good by Kidman. But, not enough to amount to anything. Very much a Lifetime movie of the week.
September 27, 2014
Confusingly decent acting with terrible cliche dialog, so that you almost can't tell what's going wrong.
August 28, 2014
With an always emotional topic and a wide range talent at its disposal it's quite phenomenal how arid Rabbit Hole feels.
½ August 3, 2014
A very intricate portrayal of the process of grieving!
½ July 15, 2014
The sadness is hard to watch, but seeing a couple struggle through that pain, so differently from each other, is as terrible as inspiring.
July 6, 2014
90 minutes of the same 3 scenes over and over again. Fine performances but didn't quite hit the feels for this viewer.
July 2, 2014
This one gonna be depressing but, I'll see it with a box of tissues.
June 13, 2014
Just watched RABBIT HOLE on television so I had to put up with lots of commercial interruptions but the power of Nicole Kidman's performance kept me engaged even with those interruptions. I know the play and must admit prefer the movie! I love the last lines, "What do we do then?" "I don't know. Something though."
½ May 24, 2014
The only way out is through.
Becca et Howie étaient un couple heureux jusqu'à la mort de leur jeune fils Danny. Depuis, chacun essaye à sa façon de faire son deuil et avancer dans la vie malgré tout. Becca essaye de tourner la page et entame une amitié avec Jason, un adolescent introverti, tandis qu' Howie veut préserver le souvenir de Danny en trouvant refuge dans des groupes de parents ayant perdu leur enfant.
Sujet sérieux pour John Cameron Mitchell qui met la lumière sur l'absence de communication dans ce couple qui s'aime toujours malgré l'évènement terrible qui les a frappés. Becca est pleine de reproches : envers elle-même pour ne pas avoir suffisamment veillé sur son garçon, envers son mari pour ne pas avoir fermé le portail, envers le chien après lequel Jason a couru sur la route. Si Howie manifeste moins son mal-être, il n'en est pas moins affecté et a besoin de la présence de parents ayant vécu la même situation et avec lesquels il peut parler quand sa femme le refuse. Le film est pesant et triste, mais jamais larmoyant. Des petites notes d'humour y ont même leur place, pour soulager quelque peu le poids du drame, comme cela se passe dans la « vraie » vie. Subtil, fort, touchant, le scénario est aidé par le jeu de Kidman et Eckhart, tout en retenue et à propos.
½ May 11, 2014
Very sad, brilliantly acted film about the loss of a child and finding the power to move on. Brilliantly acted by Nicole Kidman & Aaron Eckhart, and a nice supporting part from the always wonderful Dianne Wiest. The problem with the movie is that nothing, aside from the brilliant acting, sets it apart from a TV movie-of-the-week. It's good, but ultimately & unfortunately forgettable...
April 16, 2014
Considering the large quantity of botox Nicole Kidman has had stuck into her face, when I heard that underneath that she was able to give an acting performance that scored her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress I really had to see what and find out how such a thing could exist, so Rabbit Hole sounded like a definite viewing.

The first thing I noticed and really appreciated about Rabbit Hole was the script. It captured the real essence of a couple attempting to deal with the death of their son through realistic language and the way it creates situations which seem to brew up naturally. Nothing in Rabbit Hole feels forced, the story actually feels very genuine which is a very difficult thing to do when dealing with such complicated and touchy subject matter. The quality of the script in Rabbit Hole ensures that it is an effective and true adaptation of the play that it is based on, and it gives a lot of sufficient material for the actors to be working with.

Also, the film is a stylish feature. Rabbit Hole maintains the limitations of its budget by remaining within few settings which keeps it within the visual nature of its roots as a play, yet at the same time it allows John Cameron Mitchell to use various film techniques as a way of dramatising the material and making it a more effective visual experience. For one thing, the scenery of the film is fairly colourful and restrains the film from being visually grim, and this allows for the symbolism about how the world may look bright to many people and how others may seem happy when underneath it all lies a lot of unspoken sadness. All of it is captured well through the skilfully executed cinematography which maintains a theatrical style but is able to capture the nature of the actorsâ(TM) facial expressions to emphasise the emotional intensity of many scenes which is executed very well. The cinematography in Rabbit Hole is one of the best aspects about having it adapted to cinema because it allows for film techniques to enhance the situation without deviating from its theatrical roots or becoming a glamourised high-profile story. It knows where the importance lies and stays within it as well as using a few technical elements to boost the dramatisation of the story.

Unlike director John Cameron Mitchellâ(TM)s previous effort on the film Shortbus, Rabbit Hole manages to actually maintain depth in exploring its complicated material. While it feels like the story ends a little abruptly and leaves a little bit much ambiguity for the next step of the characters and that its running time was a little short for such an interesting film, Rabbit Hole still maintains the strength of its roots as a play and benefits from John Cameron Mitchellâ(TM)s strong ability to handle the material and transfer it to the cinematic screen with ease.

But with any film adapted from a play, the importance rests mostly on the script which is great and the acting which in this case is the most impressive element in Rabbit Hole.

I was rather quick to judge the idea that Nicole Kidman would not be able to act underneath all the work she has done to her face after seeing her in Australia, because in Rabbit Hole despite the fact that her facial gestures are someone tainted by the fact that her cheeks are unable to move all that much when she speaks, her performance is a very effective one. I tend to consider Nicole Kidman to be the least Australian of all Australian actresses because she went to Hollywood and completely changed who Australians knew her as after her breakthrough role in Dead Calm, but in Rabbit Hole I saw something I hadnâ(TM)t seen in her ever before, and I liked it. In Rabbit Hole, audiences are given witness to her deepest role in years. Nicole Kidman excellently conveys the emotional turmoil of a mother dealing with the loss of her child in her own way. I canâ(TM)t say for sure what such a situation is like, but Nicole Kidman exercises clear knowledge about the nature of a mother by showing the complex emotional turmoil of having lost one in Rabbit Hole. The result is very effective and dramatically rich, and it makes part of me question why I ever thought of her as a poor actress. When I think back to Australia and Days of Thunder I remember why, but for a time I forgot during Rabbit Hole and found a new appreciation for her as an actress. Nicole Kidman delivers a lot of dramatic strength in Rabbit Hole, and while I was never certain what accent she was going for I can say for sure that her performance was an excellent one, one of the best of her career.

Aaron Eckhartâ(TM)s supporting role is a strong one as well since as a man I am familiar with how we as males deal with complicated emotional situations. I canâ(TM)t say for sure I know how I would deal with losing a child, but Aaron Eckhart manages to easily convey the idea that the actual event has happened to him. Aaron Eckhart manages to sink into the dramatic material of his role without problem and sharing an intense chemistry with Nicole Kidman as well as a relaxed one with Sandra Oh, he manages to prove how well he can interact with the surrounding cast members. Aaron Eckhart exercises his dramatic skills in Rabbit Hole very well by falling into the headspace of his character with skill and natural dramatic charisma, and he reinforces his legacy as a talented actor with a gradually growing career full of strong roles.

Dianne Wiest is always an appealing sight. The woman who has won two Academy Awards for Best Supporting actress isnâ(TM)t too active in mainstream cinema these days, so it is good to see her in Rabbit Hole because she reminds us just how talented she is. In a small role she manages to portray a friendly presence yet an emotionally toubled one at the same time which allows for a lot of complicated drama to enter the story through her chemistry with Nicole Kidman. The mother daughter connection they share feels genuine, and Dianne Wiest reminds us once again just how good she is at playing a motherly figure since she manages to do it without problem once again in Rabbit Hole. It is terrific to see her acting in mainstream cinema again, and her talent has not sunk a single bit in the many years she has spent acting.

Sandra Oh and Miles Teller also manage to provide some refreshingly dramatic supporting performances.

So while Rabbit Hole is a short film and may have audiences feeling that things cut off a little abruptly at its ending point, it is still a deep and meaningful film which deals with some serious dramatic material through the benefit of John Cameron Mitchellâ(TM)s skills as a film director and the acting skills of an immensely strong cast, particularly Nicole Kidman.
March 14, 2014
I'm a little familiar with the play and something I liked were the small modern updates. Like the scene with the video (which was really well done) is normally a tape that gets accidentally taped over. Here, it's accidentally deleted off of his phone, which worked. Overall, I thought this was really well done, and stayed true to the source material while adapting it for a movie. (Like adding the Sandra Oh character, I liked her a lot.) I mean, it doesn't hurt that David Lindsay-Abaire wrote the screenplay. The acting in this is really well done from the ensemble as a whole. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart are great, and this was a great debut for Miles Teller. Dianne Wiest and Tammy Blanchard round out the cast well. There were a couple of times where it was on the verge of slipping into melodrama, but the actors managed to pull it back, and the moments of lightness (Aaron Eckhart and Sandra Oh smoking pot before group for example) throughout make it not as heavy and it could have been. Overall, really well done.
March 10, 2014
She: and then
He: nothing, something new will happen and we will see...