Race You to the Bottom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Race You to the Bottom Reviews

July 8, 2012
An average romantic road movie that is predictable and boring in places.
RCCLBC
February 17, 2012
An interesting premise, acted out by completely unbelievable cast.
The main draw for me was Justin (Green Arrow) Hartley, but he has all of five inutes of screen time and even he looked like he knew this was beneath him.
No pun intended.
April 23, 2011
There was something about this movie that I loved, and something I hated. What I loved was the two main stars relationship with eachother... what I hated was the way they went about it. He is gay, she is straight, they both have boyfriends, but they both have an affair with eachother. Also, the acting from Amber Benson was horrible. Other than that, it was a fun movie, I guess I could say. Not much to it... the ending was good, but didn't really solve anything.
September 23, 2010
NOT INTERESTED THANKS
½ August 26, 2010
Amber Benson (Tara dans la série Buffy) est excellente dans ce film bourré d'humour et d'émotion
½ August 18, 2010
There's something we don??t see in movies often - a bisexual male character and a heterosexual female character. Nathan and Maggie are more than friends, but both their boyfriends are unaware of this. ??Some people might consider that a little slutty...?? Maggie??s friend tells her. "Race You to the Bottom" is very B-grade, and has some pretty cringe-worthy accent. The dialogue's decent I guess.

You get the sense that the only woman Nathan??s really attracted to is her. And even then, he describes that attraction as "profound affection". He??s in denial about the fact that he leans more towards guys than girls. He doesn??t like how guys treat him.??Nathan??s one of those70-30 gays?? ?? Maggie says. The movie basically involves Nathan and Maggie taking a road trip. Something their boyfriends think is completely harmless, of course. Nathan and Maggie start arguing and being awful to each other very quickly. Nathan is scared of who he is. He uses Maggie, and won't admit that.

Unfortunately, this movie is like a road trip to nowhere. Nothing much really happens, and with the semi-interesting premise they had, "Race You to the Bottom" could have been so much better. I'd probably watch it again though if I had the opportunity.
½ February 4, 2010
surprisingly good, a slow start, rocky middle, and a natural ending.
½ November 29, 2009
Amber Benson makes these movies, they are small, but, have this kind of heavy substance to them. I think its why I like her.

I also like movies written from the heart, mind, and soul, not just eye candy in mind, so, yeah, most movies i like, no one has heard of and most do not like if they do on my recommendation.
I'm pretty sure this would be one of those.

Why i like it, i have moved in conservative circles most of my life, not so much by choice, as by default, and homosexuality is a big no-no, in find a lot of aspects of sexuality are.

At the same time, i have always had friends who were gay or bi-sexual, and raised by a liberal single mom who had many gay friends herself in the 70s.

So the former cons. issue, some of my FB friends will shake their heads at my obvious black sliding into sin for watching this movie, while others will probably be interested.

Why i like this movie. Aside from the fact i see a bit of the writers heart in it.

I have known very, very few ppl who have NOT had some kind of feeling or experience that was not, to some degree gay.

Mostly in childhood or puberty, and mostly pretty benign.

My won would fall under the latter, in kindergarten, the very first crushy feeling was for a girl, i was five, so, pretty much, no sexual connotations there, but, i thought she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and i was enamored with her, and got in trouble for hugging her because, "girls do not hug girls", lame.

And in my young childhood, there was some physical curious exploration with both boys and girls

So, this movie deals with 2 people who are in a secret relationship that is both cheating on their BFs, as well as that one is gay, one is straight, by definition, but, theirs is a straight, per say, relationship.

They blurred lines many have int heir sexuality, which i find realistic. it deals with the pain of doomed relationships, also realistic, and i just really liked the heart of it, even if the acting was off sometimes, and the plot and writing was not the best in all places. As a writer myself I know that perfection does not exist, except maybe on some occasions, Joss Whedon can hit a full on home run, this is more the kinds of movies i strive to write.

Speaking to me in a movie or tv show is nearly impossible for me, i am always re-writing it in my head, and can see the end coming far too early, and its ruined for me.

This one did speak to me, so, i give if many kudos.
If it not something that will make you fell icky, rent it online. DO IT!
July 8, 2009
This sweet, well-dialogued gay drama starring Amber Benson and Cole Williams was yet another Benson film I was expecting to be average, but was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoy these relatively slow paced dramas with realistic portrayals of romance that aren't unbarably sappy, I guess its something that comes with indie films. This film is not plot heavy, there is not a lot of story, just dialogue and character development (just how I like it). The gay themes were, for the most part, not laid on too thick, but just natural, which is a very fine line to walk in gay cinema. There were a few things in the film that brought the rating down a little, including the contrived ending where years later the two characters meet again, although the dialogue involved did give the film its title, it felt a little too obvious. The supporting cast was another downer, although there is very little of the supporting cast seen, most of them give a sub-par performance. On the up side, the music was splendid and the direction, dialogue and lead acting (particularly Benson) were intriguing and quite well done.
½ May 5, 2009
Tried having its own perspective but like most of Indies, its ambition was discounted by the immature directing, writing & acting.
April 12, 2009
this film dealt with some interesting subject about friendship but felt as if it only touched the surface. would be better if it went deeper. watchable still.
March 18, 2009
Has the cutest boy ever, and a plot that I can relate to, and is completely impelling
November 16, 2008
Gay-bi male in a relationship spends a business/vacation week of sex and fighting with young woman who is also in a relationship. During the entire movie they are "racing to the bottom" of everything a relationship demands.
August 13, 2008
Really Good Movie. Teaches something that we ought to learn.
June 15, 2008
Well performed and engaging, but lopsided. I needed more beginning, because the last two thirds of the movie toppled over the almost lack of beginning. Still, intriguing and captivating.
½ May 21, 2008
Not a bad little flick, although somewhat wandering and plotless...and could have done so much more with the premise and characters. Ah well! It's well worth renting just for the always-fantastic Amber Benson, who is luminously gorgeous here as well. And any girl who's ever fallen for a gay boy will probably be able to relate. ;)
½ May 15, 2008
not much impressed with it....
a ok movie
April 27, 2008
I absolutely love this movie its wonderful in so many ways
½ April 24, 2008
What's the point. Pretty nice indie flick. The movie made me wanna go to the Napa and have sex on the barn. Nature in California is awesome. Beautiful shots. Nice red car.
½ January 27, 2008
Better than most films that take a look at a relationship with problems - and this relationship is different from those typically portrayed on screen. A heterosexual woman and a bisexual man. Dialogue was well-written for the most part.