Race the Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Race the Sun Reviews

October 28, 2017
I just saw this thing on one of those broadcast channels that specialize in off-brand movies for the oldster/po-folks no money for cable communities. It was like "this looks like they spent about $1.98, what with everything...."

We get to see the ugly ass end of Hawaii. Almost interesting. The credits roll... I miss the star. Eliza Dusky (Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is in this! Well, that might change everything. No such luck. The white surfer/slacker who is our focus ends up at his butthole school where the hot new teacher (shit, is that Hallie Berry?) is doing her nest Edward James Olmos simulation... shaping the class up and with the crimedgonly help of, wait for it, Jim Belusci, getting everyone pitching in for the big ... solar car race.

It's like one of those after school specials they used to have. Everyone is so earnest. Dead end kids who never had a chance battling against asshole school administrators, sleazy corporate types, each other, and the fat kid saves the day!

I was going to wax on about the deep dyed dumbness of the science/technology, but on reconsideration, I'll spare you -- and me.

Have you ever seen a movie where they only had enough money for one decent actor? Harry Dean Stanton In Red Dawn comes to mind. He's there for a few seconds and you say "Holy shit, an actor!", and then... back to the kids. This movie is like that except the actor is J9im (that's Jim) Belucci. You see the sort of hell we've stumbled I to here.

Everything here is based on a boring true story about a real solar car race. I guess everything turns out wonderful for our Hawaiian heros but by the time it was over I was head-down in my phone playing Clash of Clans. If you play CoC you know long stretches of it are basically time counters counting down " your new units will be up and
October 19, 2015
I loved this movie! Story, acting, everything. hat a great bunch of kids and teachers. We need more like this
October 5, 2014
It is 80s movie quality made in 96. Terrible. They cheer on a fat kid to get a car up a hill. He's driving a car. There is nothing he can do besides keep his foot on the gas.
October 30, 2013
Based on a true story, a group of high school kids build a solar powered car and enter a 2,000 mile championship race with it. Dull and completely lacking charisma, this film feels like an overstretched TV production destined to be forgotten.
March 6, 2013
.... using solar powerred cars . interesting story for me as i was a former PV system engineer . With interesting end !!
February 14, 2013
A good movie about teamwork and good sportsmanship.
½ October 4, 2012
Come on it wasn't that bad.

C
½ May 28, 2012
la vi en el tripletazo de peliculas jajaj
PantaOz
May 28, 2012
Feel good comedy-drama with a nice story and actors like Halle Berry and James Belushi in it! Story is is loosely based on the true story of the Konawaena High School Solar Car Team, which finished 18th in the 1990 World Solar Challenge and was written by Barry Morrow, who had shared the 1988 Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay for Rain Man.

Of course, do not expect originality in this one like in The Rain Man... most of it is corny, using clichÚs and most of the time is very predictable! Still, you can enjoy the exciting spectacle of the race but the big positive for this movie is the attitude and the heart it has! If you want to teach your teenagers how to set aside their differences and insecurities to bond as a team - this is a right tool. This movie won't open your horizons or bring novelties but it's still uplifting experience.

Light entertainment with right message.
April 24, 2012
Very cool n interesting movie indeed.
½ April 18, 2012
Inspiring and humorous true-life story for the whole famly.
November 16, 2011
With this power cast.Still a bad movie.
October 12, 2011
not interested at all ....
½ July 31, 2011
Saw this one t.v. not that bad really.
½ April 21, 2011
Great movie, I loved it so much I just can't describe it
November 11, 2010
old... i wouldnt pay to see this movie, and i've seen the whole movie, but just in bits and pieces when i catch it on tv...
½ July 20, 2010
A charming Tournment Movie about Halle Berry & Jim Belushi traning a Hawaiian Soap Car Racer Team on a Competion in Australia
June 25, 2010
I want to build a solar car
December 18, 2009
Cute movie for teenagers and those who are in their puberty.
I also found it enjoyable as an adult.
It has it's moral and life lessons and also points out some ecological problems.
October 18, 2009
I LOVED this movie as a kid and wish I could find it on DVD somewhere. The characters are great and the dialogue is really funny.