Rachel and the Stranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rachel and the stranger
½ April 1, 2016
year s/b 1948 not 2000
February 14, 2016
Wives don't grow on trees.

David and his son live on a small farm in Ohio on their own after the loss of David's wife. David decides to marry an indentured servant he purchases so his son can have a proper upbringing with schooling, home cooked meals, and a woman presence. He doesn't initially treat her as a wife, but when a rival visits the farm and meets with his wife, David gets his act together and begins acting like they're married...but it may be too late.

"Liquor makes you thirsty."

Norman Foster, director of Davey Crocket and the River Pirates, Mr. Moto's Last Warning, The Great Sex War, Davey Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier, and Indian paint, delivers Rachel and the Stranger. The storyline for this picture is above average and the characters play off each other very well. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Loretta Young, William Holden, Robert Mitchum, and Gary Gray.

"Two grown men fighting like a couple of wild Indians."

I came across this all star cast in a western on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. This was very entertaining and I loved all three main stars. They played off each other well and the script was pretty well written. I recommend seeing this once.

"I hope you're loaded. I hope you know what you're doing."

Grade: C+
½ October 18, 2014
141018: Fascinating and educational movie. Motivated me to look into the history of bondwomen. The rivalry between David (William Holden) and Jim (Robert Mitchum), and their treatment of Rachel (Loretta Young), makes for a thought provoking film. As a matter of fact, the interaction of all the characters (including Davey) makes for a wonderful story. Slavery, not a proud piece of North American history, but one that I feel is all too common even in today's world. Features some great acting. Found the portrayal of the First Nation representatives truly intimidating; of course, that brings up another moral issue. Happy ending for one of the better, and meaningful, early westerns I've seen.
September 7, 2014
William Holden is a widower in the old west with a young son. He then hires a young woman, Loretta Young, as a something of a wife/indentured servant hybrid. Robert Mitchum plays Holden's wandering minstrel friend, who visits from time to time, and a love triangle developes between the three. It's a fairly simple pioneer love story, but all three stars are terrific. I've never been much a Loretta Young fan, but she was quite good in this film, so I'm going to have to give her another chance next time TCM shows one of her films.
July 22, 2014
A predictable movie. A widower needs a women to help run his farm, so "buys" one (by paying off her debt) and treats her like dirt. Of course she is everything the widower ever wanted, and they all live happily everafter.
February 11, 2013
The heavyweight cast bring a fairly ordinary frontier story to life. Mitchum and Holden were never going to win any performance awards for this one, but they have presence and their fist-fight is great to see.
½ September 24, 2010
This was actually a pretty good film. The action is tightly centered on the characters of Rachel, David, and Little Davey - until Robert Mitchum comes on the scene! Humourous and light, this movie is well worth a look.
½ October 10, 2008
Pretty Good. Don't know why they have to ruin some prints by colorizing them.
July 8, 2008
Love this movie. Good wholesome movie for the whole family!
Gary Gray was so cute!
April 22, 2008
This was a great show! Very Romantic!!
April 19, 2008
It's fun fluff--funny in a throw-away sort of way. It's got a really appealing cast; even William Holden, who's supposed to be kind of a tosser, is pretty likeable and inoffensive. You feel for Loretta Young's character (who's supposed to be--but never really feels--shy and odd) and Robert Mitchum has the bad boy/comedic role. It's just a likeable film, overall--everyone's likeable, the story's likeable. No more or less than that.