Rachel Getting Married - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rachel Getting Married Reviews

February 18, 2015
A character study of a dysfunctional family that centers around Kym, a model who has been in rehab for a drug habit, and her return to the family home in time for her sister's wedding. Hathaway is great as usual. The rest is drippy, sappy, emotional crap. There really is no point to this movie.
February 16, 2015
A riveting drama that I think many families can relate to in varying degrees. My one complaint is that this film could have definitely benefited from some tighter editing. They could have shaved a good thirty minutes off by chopping some of the scenes down.
January 19, 2015
Good to see Debra Winger on the screen again...Anne Hathaway gives an excellent performance! Could not get this film out of my head and always think about it whenever Anne comes out with more films.
November 24, 2014
I watched it once and thought it was good but that Anne Hathaway somehow over and underacted at the same time.

Watched it a second time a year or so later and realized that it's pretty much a masterpiece for what it is.
November 19, 2014
Rachel Getting Married is raw and real, with a screenplay that captures the way weighted conversations between family members really goes down. Unfortunately, it spends a bit too much time meandering away from its characters.
November 2, 2014
A raw, real and emotionally powerful film driven by a fantastic Anne Hathaway performance. I have a feeling this may grow in stature over the years and come to be seen as one of the best movies of our time.
½ October 28, 2014
What a boring film. What story is the director trying to tell ? How some American families stage a wedding ? Not sure about Ann Hathaway in a lead role. Give this film a miss !
October 9, 2014
This might be the oddest reaction I've had to a movie in a long time. Overall, the movie was a complete bore. I think it was poorly directed by Jonathan Demme. The length was tantamount to watching paint dry. Granted, it was primarily centered around women, so drama is a given, but the extent and unending drama in this movie is unnecessary and quite stupid.

Yet...

Anne Hathaway, as nails-on-chalkboard irritating as she is in this movie, obviously pulls off a stunning performance since I completely removed Anne Hathaway from the role. She WAS Kym. And, thus, as bad as the movie was, Anne Hathaway moved up a level in my book. A fantastic performance definitely worthy of the Oscar nod.
½ September 23, 2014
Anne Hathaway plays Kym, a drug addict who leaves rehab for a few days to return to her family home to celebrate her sister Rachel's wedding.
Skeletons from the past rear their ugly heads and creates a rift amongst the dysfunctional family as the try to rein in the arguments with the impending big day approaching.
Filmed with a hand-held photography style which captures the film with home video realism and the performances and screenplay accurately portrays a family desperately trying to bury it's head beneath the sand for the greater good.
The low-key style won't suit everyone's viewing tastes, but it's certainly worth watching to experience a good spot of acting, especially Anne Hathaway and Rosemarie DeWitt as Rachel.
September 18, 2014
Anne Hathaway is amazing in her role as Kym, a girl with severe emotional problems who is allowed weekend leave from a rehab unit in order to attend her sister's wedding. Rosemarie DeWitt is also impressive as Rachel. As the story unfolds and the skeletons come out of the closet, the movie captures the angst very well. So well in fact that it is sometimes uncomfortable to watch.The movie itself is overly long and many things remain unexplained which is frustrating.
½ September 13, 2014
Engrossing & interesting, 'Rachel Getting Married' transforms the viewer into a fly on the wall of a most dysfunctional family. Anne Hathaway rules the screen as recovering addict Kym, as Jonathan Demme captures every nuance and eye roll that takes place when Kym returns home for the weekend for her sister's wedding. Old demons resurface and nothing gets solved but grievances are aired and amends are attempted. The documentary style camera works wonderfully with the story, which thanks to a no nonsense approach from Jenny Lumet, pulls no punches. Scenes are longer and the actors can flex their muscles, while Demme watches and directs. The length slows the momentum at times and the story does have some repetitiveness, but nothing too detrimental. Recommended, especially for anyone going to a wedding. Try and top this all inclusive and drama filled affair.
½ September 2, 2014
Anne Hathaway sulks as her bourgeois family yaps about an impending wedding. The beautiful Hathaway does have some decent dramatic scenes as do a few other members of the cast. My big issue with the movie is the revelation of Kym's accidental past, which didn't work for me in ways that I cannot dive into with giving away spoilers. I just don't think that a family would be that forgiving for such a loss. Rachel Getting Married isn't really bad but I wouldn't really recommend it.
September 1, 2014
Anne Hathaway throws away her formulaic heroine trademark in favor of a truly compelling embodiment of a lost and heartbroken young woman, making Rachel Getting Married a disturbingly watchable movie with sublime co-star performances.
½ August 17, 2014
With direction rooted in deep realism and a truly fearless cast (Anne Hathaway's performance is unbelievable), "Rachel Getting Married" chronicles addiction and family drama with compelling and engrossing style.
jjnxn
August 16, 2014
Miserable, unlikable people interact with other miserable, unlikable people. How is that supposed to be entertainment? Anne Hathaway's character is one of the more loathsome leads you'll ever see in a movie.
½ July 12, 2014
You can't help but give kudos to Anne Hathaway for her performance here. It really is amazing. But going toe to toe with her all the way is Rosemarie DeWitt as her sister. You really felt the history between the members of the family and how much anguish they suffer from it. I really loved how the wedding seemed to bridge divides within the family. A terrific realist movie all around.
½ July 10, 2014
Makes me cringe. Unsettling. But a great movie. Anne Hathaway is great in this one
June 12, 2014
Not bad, just predictable.
½ June 11, 2014
I would not watch this again. The main character is dramatic (compared to the rest of the cast), but that is all the 'drama' you get in this otherwise flat story line.
½ June 7, 2014
i thought id like it but i personally was disappointed...some good scenes and performances but as a whole i just was not interested.