Radio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Radio Reviews

July 8, 2016
Radio shows us that if we take the time to get to know a person you might just find your world changed for the better. Cuba did such an amazing job. Ed Harris was outstanding as a man who actually gave a shit. I have a disability and watching this movie made me realize it doesn't define you, the person you are on the inside does. More people need to see this. It brought me to tears of happiness. Radio is one of the most likeable people ever.
June 26, 2016
What a great movie! Not surprised the "critics" didn't like it.
½ May 11, 2016
This is one of the most touching and emotional movie I have ever seen. I loved Radio and I definitely recommend this movie. This movie gets an A.
February 6, 2016
Amazingly sad. I actually cried.
½ January 24, 2016
This movie will make you cry. Extremely touching.
½ October 26, 2015
Mentally handicapped man pushes a shopping cart around and stalks the local football team. Of course the team learns to love the man in what becomes another sappy ending.
September 30, 2015
Radio: An Inspirational True Story
"But the truth is, we're not the ones that've been teaching Radio, Radio's the one that's been teaching us." All wrapped up into one line is essentially the main idea of the entire film. A large portion of air time is focused on the love and acceptance of others and how that eventually, positively affects the outsider (Radio), as well as the other individuals involved (the football team and community as a whole). Based on a true story, this film contains a life message we all would benefit from watching. Radio, directed by Michael Tollin, is a light, heart-warming, and inspirational film, perfect for the whole family.

Coach Jones (Ed Harris), the head football, is a character whom takes on an immensely crucial role in the film. He inspires his community and the audience to show compassion and love, especially to those that are different from the rest. Coach Jones took Radio (Cuba Gooding Jr.) under his wing giving a previously purposeless man, a voice in his community. Throughout Radio, the audience is a witness to the passion and emotion Coach expresses. By one facial expression the audience can feel the sense of pride, admiration, worry, etc. that the character was feeling at that moment. Ed Harris has an inspirational way of speaking and communicating, which further moves the audience, and brings to the forefront the underlying theme.

Radio's character was portrayed with the most likeable qualities, whom the audience fell in love with instantly. This mentally-challenged man embodied such a na´ve, childlike behavior, which was refreshing to see. Radio was amazed by even the smallest things in life such as, riding in a shopping cart or watching a football game. Cuba Gooding Jr. did an outstanding job of showing this innocence by the sauntering way he walked or awed facial expressions. He also had a comedic side to him which added a light quality to the film. At one point in the film when trying to figure out what wear, Radio called Coach Jones. While holding a pair of pants up to the phone he says, "How 'bout this one?", as if they could be seen through the receiver. Radio is a character that changes people. He is a big-hearted, innocent man that goes through life with nothing but joy, and sets a positive mood making the audience want the love selflessly as he does.

The overall plot and theme of Radio is moving and inspirational. It shows the struggle, perseverance, and victory of someone fighting for an underappreciated, misunderstood, man. Coach Jones is working to accomplish something morally right, in a community that is filled with judgement and misled priorities. It hits home at the end, when clips of the real Radio are shown. This adds a lot of depth to the story, allowing the audience to make a real life connection. As a member of the audience you feel a rollercoaster of emotion. The film is filled with a generous mix of comedy and drama, keeping you intrigued until the credits roll through at the very end. Coach Jones and Radio not only teach their community the value of selfless love and compassion, but are able to teach the audience as well. This film is a must-see for the whole family not only because of the likable, inspirational characters, but also because of the important message it conveys to the audience; to love selflessly and to do what is morally right, even in the face of adversity. Radio is a film that has the ability to change people. Don't we all need a little positive change in our daily lives?
August 9, 2015
If you share the cynicism pervading the comments made by many of the "tomatometer" critics who reviewed this movie, move along. You'll be disappointed. If, however, you appreciate heartfelt kindness, look for grand possibilities where they are not commonly expected, and are brave enough to cry in front of others, this film should delight you.
August 8, 2015
Emotional and heartbreaking.
August 7, 2015
As a person who has a condition similar to what Radio has, I can honestly say I have never been more moved by a movie in my life than this one. If you're looking for a message to this movie, try the golden rule: treat people the way you want to be treated. In this movie, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer, and most importantly, you'll feel as though you were there
½ June 29, 2015
Just way way to much syrup.
June 13, 2015
The real story of James "Radio" Kennedy is absolutely fascinating. This film, however, has its moments, but is much more focused on Hollywood-izing the real story to create a sloppy sports drama.
June 10, 2015
I love the heart felt fulfillment that this movie creates for viewers. this is an amazing movie showing that anything is posable no mater how you are. I absolutely loved this movie!
½ June 2, 2015
While it appears to take the best parts of the earlier "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," it's still an absolutely beautiful movie.
April 3, 2015
This is a great movie with cuba making a wonderful performance, i dont know what the critics are saying
March 19, 2015
A tear jerker. A masterpiece. Cuba Gooding, Jr. so should have received an Oscar.
January 29, 2015
Sweet, feel-good movie.
January 2, 2015
As a kid with Asperger's, this movie truly meant a lot to me. With me and a lot of other people like Radio of how growing up differently was hard and frustrating. But when Coach Jones took Radio under his wing, that reminded me of how very few people accepted me for my disability. I believe this movie revolves around acceptance and understanding. Just like how Radio's mom and Coach Jones accepted and understood him, more and more people did too; just like what happened to me, so this movie really stuck out to me.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Good movie with Cuba playing Radio which hasnt an easy life. He like to watch football and one day the coach let him join and learn to live the life more. Its a drama and true story.
December 27, 2014
This is a great movie but is sad the way that they treated those with mental disabilities