Radio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Radio Reviews

March 6, 2017
One of the best movies ever made
February 2, 2017
An emotionally-manipulative story that chooses to, rather than simply showing handicapable people to be just like all of the rest of us, show us a story about the magical power that all people on the autism spectrum have. The points awarded to this film are on account of Ed Harris' performance. The man could play bread crumbs and he would be spectacular.
January 8, 2017
I can not understand so many people with negative reviews.
It is full of technical experts in dramaturgy and specialists and engineers of optics, film and sound.
They forget the origins of cinema.
Cinema or film is not just several photos taken in sequence to capture the world around us in various static squares.
The cinematographic art is the extension of another art, that is confused with the own history of the humanity.
Storytellers have existed since when our ancestors barely babbled some simple phonemes to signify what surrounded them beyond themselves.
And this movie is basically this. Telling a story that happened sometime, somewhere, involving some people, regardless of whether it's real or fictional.
And this story is told with a goal in mind other than just reporting facts that have occurred, real or not.
And this goal is only achieved if people really care about the people and facts that have occurred in history, to the point of making them realize that this is applicable in their own lives.
And to really care only for feelings expressed clearly to get us involved with this story, to laugh and cry together, to really feel the moments of the most blissful happiness and the most intense pain.
And if you do not understand this, then stick with this stupid technical vision, because the real value few will really understand.
December 23, 2016
"Radio" is a crossover between critically-acclaimed dramas and cheesy family-friendly films. The critics hated it but it is nice to see a drama with good acting that can be enjoyed by all ages. This heartwarming story about helping others is not without its clichés, predictable plot developments, and cheesy sentimentality. There aren't any major twists to catch us off guard and most aspects of the story have been seen in other films; still, the simplicity of the story and PG-rated content make this a good introduction into "real" dramas for preteens. Cuba Gooding Jr.'s performance is difficult to rate. His youthful look works in his favor as the 35-year-old actor plays the 18ish-year-old titular character in the film. His acting is a complete transformation from what we are used to seeing and there are times that you would believe that he is actually disabled, but there are also moments where it seems overacted. This is definitely not his "Rain Man" or "I Am Sam" role. Ed Harris is good but lacks the spark that we expect from such an established actor. My favorite performance in the film comes from Alfre Woodard as the principal that must mediate between the community and what is best for Radio. It delivers on the sports sequences that draw in male audiences but the film misses the potential of tying racism more strongly into the plot (maybe they were trying to avoid comparisons to "Remember the Titans" which came out 3 years earlier). Although I enjoyed revisiting this movie, I was more impressed with "Radio" as a high school student than I was as an adult. Perhaps that is the greatest testament to it being a good transitional film that parents can enjoy with their younger viewers.
October 31, 2016
Never go full retard.
October 4, 2016
Cuba Gooding Jr. has done it again. He is back and better than ever, playing the role of James Robert Kennedy, or more famously known as Radio. However, this is not how some folks feel in the racially-divided town where the film takes place. They believe a mentally disabled African American is more of a threat, rather than a gift. He does end up capturing the heart of the varsity football coach, Harold Jones (Ed Harris), the same way he will yours. The big question is: can he get the other townsfolk on his side? With the help of Coach Jones, it seems anything could be possible.

The leading roles of Radio and Coach Jones could not have been casted more perfectly. Co-stars Gooding and Harris were brilliant. They made the film come to life on screen. They portrayed the relationship of more than just a teacher and student, but a father and son. I will admit, at a first glance it seemed as though Jones just took him on as a charity case to boost his ego, but once you watch, you will be put to shame for ever even thinking that. While watching, I felt as though I was part of the movie, which does not happen often. It made me think of what I would have done, especially at a time like that, when people did not want to stand up for anyone who was different. You really have to hand it to Margery Simkin for casting these two unbelievably, talented men.

Not just was the acting incredible, the musical score also had quite the significant role on this film. Whether it was the steady, pounding beat in the background or the choice of radio station Gooding would listen too, really helped turn the story into a movie for the audience. At certain points, you cannot help but get goosebumps due to the scene and choice of music done by James Horner.

The movie had a slow start. The reason for this, is that film director, Michael Tollin, wanted to highlight the development of the character, Radio. He wanted to show viewers what Radio's life was like and how the help of Coach Jones truly affected him. Radio started out not talking at all, but all because of Coach Jones, he was able to open up and interact with other people without feeling afraid.

What makes this movie so outstanding is that it was based on a true story. The fact that Radio and Coach Jones were not just characters in a movie, but are real people with actual lives, is what makes the film come to life.

This movie also makes you really think about your morals, which is a good change of pace compared to all of the other movies that involve sex and drugs nowadays. It shows how much our world has changed since the time period that this movie took place. Now everyone has opportunities, and just because someone might be a little different from you, does not give you the right to belittle them. Radio will forever be a timeless film, that will always be relatable.
July 8, 2016
Radio shows us that if we take the time to get to know a person you might just find your world changed for the better. Cuba did such an amazing job. Ed Harris was outstanding as a man who actually gave a shit. I have a disability and watching this movie made me realize it doesn't define you, the person you are on the inside does. More people need to see this. It brought me to tears of happiness. Radio is one of the most likeable people ever.
June 26, 2016
What a great movie! Not surprised the "critics" didn't like it.
½ May 11, 2016
This is one of the most touching and emotional movie I have ever seen. I loved Radio and I definitely recommend this movie. This movie gets an A.
February 6, 2016
Amazingly sad. I actually cried.
½ January 24, 2016
This movie will make you cry. Extremely touching.
½ October 26, 2015
Mentally handicapped man pushes a shopping cart around and stalks the local football team. Of course the team learns to love the man in what becomes another sappy ending.
September 30, 2015
Radio: An Inspirational True Story
"But the truth is, we're not the ones that've been teaching Radio, Radio's the one that's been teaching us." All wrapped up into one line is essentially the main idea of the entire film. A large portion of air time is focused on the love and acceptance of others and how that eventually, positively affects the outsider (Radio), as well as the other individuals involved (the football team and community as a whole). Based on a true story, this film contains a life message we all would benefit from watching. Radio, directed by Michael Tollin, is a light, heart-warming, and inspirational film, perfect for the whole family.

Coach Jones (Ed Harris), the head football, is a character whom takes on an immensely crucial role in the film. He inspires his community and the audience to show compassion and love, especially to those that are different from the rest. Coach Jones took Radio (Cuba Gooding Jr.) under his wing giving a previously purposeless man, a voice in his community. Throughout Radio, the audience is a witness to the passion and emotion Coach expresses. By one facial expression the audience can feel the sense of pride, admiration, worry, etc. that the character was feeling at that moment. Ed Harris has an inspirational way of speaking and communicating, which further moves the audience, and brings to the forefront the underlying theme.

Radio's character was portrayed with the most likeable qualities, whom the audience fell in love with instantly. This mentally-challenged man embodied such a naïve, childlike behavior, which was refreshing to see. Radio was amazed by even the smallest things in life such as, riding in a shopping cart or watching a football game. Cuba Gooding Jr. did an outstanding job of showing this innocence by the sauntering way he walked or awed facial expressions. He also had a comedic side to him which added a light quality to the film. At one point in the film when trying to figure out what wear, Radio called Coach Jones. While holding a pair of pants up to the phone he says, "How 'bout this one?", as if they could be seen through the receiver. Radio is a character that changes people. He is a big-hearted, innocent man that goes through life with nothing but joy, and sets a positive mood making the audience want the love selflessly as he does.

The overall plot and theme of Radio is moving and inspirational. It shows the struggle, perseverance, and victory of someone fighting for an underappreciated, misunderstood, man. Coach Jones is working to accomplish something morally right, in a community that is filled with judgement and misled priorities. It hits home at the end, when clips of the real Radio are shown. This adds a lot of depth to the story, allowing the audience to make a real life connection. As a member of the audience you feel a rollercoaster of emotion. The film is filled with a generous mix of comedy and drama, keeping you intrigued until the credits roll through at the very end. Coach Jones and Radio not only teach their community the value of selfless love and compassion, but are able to teach the audience as well. This film is a must-see for the whole family not only because of the likable, inspirational characters, but also because of the important message it conveys to the audience; to love selflessly and to do what is morally right, even in the face of adversity. Radio is a film that has the ability to change people. Don't we all need a little positive change in our daily lives?
August 9, 2015
If you share the cynicism pervading the comments made by many of the "tomatometer" critics who reviewed this movie, move along. You'll be disappointed. If, however, you appreciate heartfelt kindness, look for grand possibilities where they are not commonly expected, and are brave enough to cry in front of others, this film should delight you.
August 8, 2015
Emotional and heartbreaking.
August 7, 2015
As a person who has a condition similar to what Radio has, I can honestly say I have never been more moved by a movie in my life than this one. If you're looking for a message to this movie, try the golden rule: treat people the way you want to be treated. In this movie, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer, and most importantly, you'll feel as though you were there
½ June 29, 2015
Just way way to much syrup.
June 13, 2015
The real story of James "Radio" Kennedy is absolutely fascinating. This film, however, has its moments, but is much more focused on Hollywood-izing the real story to create a sloppy sports drama.
June 10, 2015
I love the heart felt fulfillment that this movie creates for viewers. this is an amazing movie showing that anything is posable no mater how you are. I absolutely loved this movie!
½ June 2, 2015
While it appears to take the best parts of the earlier "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," it's still an absolutely beautiful movie.