Radioland Murders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Radioland Murders Reviews

September 2, 2016
It's funny, sure, but that doesn't mean it's good.
½ June 14, 2016
George Lucas who gave us Star Wars, gives us this lame whodunit comedy that could possibly be the worst movie of all time.
August 12, 2015
Great and hilarious, never understood the bad reviews on this one !
½ June 5, 2015
This is definitely one of the most underrated movies of all time. For some reason none of the critics seem to have liked it and it was a giant flop at the box office, which is a huge shame. It has a very classical sense of humor not seen in modern movies and really draws on its 1930's charm the whole way through. It's fast talking and nonstop slapstick all the way through. Sure, it gets a bit exhausting sometimes, but after awhile the sheer ridiculousness of how many slapstick stunts they pull in a minute begins to actually get enjoyable. Not in a, "wow that was done so well" sort of way, but more in a, "wow they are REALLY determined to get more falls in this movie". There are actually a lot of famous actors in this movie, although most of them are completely indistinguishable from their current selves. This movie is just a barrel of laughs and doesn't even remotely take itself seriously. I would put this in the same comedy bracket as Clue and Murder by Death and such movies. Maybe not as much on their level, but it definitely is a lot better than most people give it credit for. I saw this movie when I was younger and recently rewatched it and it retained far more of its comedy and rewatchablility than some other goofy comedies. Take a look at Dumb and Dumber and Spaceballs, if you go back and watch those movies now, you will be excruciatingly disappointed. Radioland Murders still manages to deliver plenty of laughs though.
A really funny whodunit.
March 16, 2014
I don't know what everyone is complaining about, I absolutely love the movie!
December 23, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
October 30, 2013
Though some think this film "sucks" I could not disagree more. I find it beautifully in tune with many previous "screwball" comedies of of the '30's & '40's moving along at a brisk pace with laughs as you may find them, frequent or rare yet always with a smile on one's face while viewing. Great film? no...fun film, YES!
August 25, 2013
My favorite movie of all time-I watch it over and over again- random,funny, and crazy characters-all in all-Fun for the whole family!
April 21, 2013
Despite some amusing satire of Golden Age radio, little references to said medium and a jazzy, lively score by Joel McNeely, this Mel Smith & George Lucas' 30s comedy lacks all that many laughs, with sometimes slow pacing and overly archetypical characters that feel more obnoxious than charmingly old-fashioned.
January 13, 2013
An attempt to capture nostalgia of the 1930's radio dramas that doesn't really work. Somewhat interesting but the lead actors are pretty weak compared to the supporting cast. Maybe it was the last time that we would ever see George Burns or Christopher Lloyd as a zany sound effects guy but aside from a few minor perks Radioland Murders almost sucks.
January 13, 2013
A movie about those old time radio shows is a great idea. but this movie really sucks.
November 17, 2012
Great idea, but ultimately falls flat.
September 13, 2012
I appreciate what they were going for. In my opinion, vaudevillian slap-stick will never be dead. But like I said, they didn't quite pull it off. An impressive cast was assembled, as well as a fun starting story by George Lucas (yep, that George Lucas).
June 22, 2012
Generous blue ribbon slapstick w/ a healthy "time I lightened up" corn dog, you gotta be kidding, nonsense plot. Thank God schtick happens like 'Radioland Murders' & 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'-the movie. Paul Reubens is the best vampire ever!
ASIDE: We're huge fans of Coen Brothers, Wim Wenders, Charles Laughton & Eddie Izzard, so we understand this is a grain of salt & go figure review.
May 27, 2012
Pretty funny. Good mystery.
May 12, 2012
It does come across that everything Mr Lucas has put his chubby finger to since Star Wars doesn't quite turn out so well (apart from 'Indy'), the recent 'Red Tails' for example.

This goofy slapstick comedy on paper had promise and I was quite excited to watch it as the period setting plus the 'who dunnit' murder aspect I like. The whole thing sounded like a kind of 'Clue' or 'Haunted Honeymoon' type venture, that nice dated 30's to 50's setting with smart suits with well spoken chaps n dames all set within a spooky atmosphere.

Unfortunately this film is really quite boring and insanely stupid, there is way too much slapstick in your face screwball comedy...and its not even very good, just forced. Everyone is falling arse over tit every five minutes and the editing is so damn choppy, you zip from one pratfall to the next as if they were individual sketches pasted together.

Awesome cast line up, every well known character actor in Hollywood has been stuck in this but that can't save the film. Brian Benben was for me a bad choice of lead for the story, he's one of those guys that just fits TV roles better and he's also annoyingly unstable here with the most lame physical comedy display.

Good ideas with a great era and concept to homage but this falls flat on its face, it should of been a classic but somehow its been fudged well and truly, damn it Lucas!
April 11, 2012
very funny Murder Mystery.
½ April 10, 2012
i was amazed at how funny this was