Rafiki Reviews

• Aug 11, 2020

I absolutely loved the movie. I would definitely give a rewatch. The colors and the soundtrack absolutely immaculate.

• Jan 03, 2020

Very few films capture the human spirit as vividly or as painfully as Rafiki does. Every aspect of the film is an achievement of it's own, whether it be the smart usage of color, background visuals to highlight how characters feel, or even just the heart breaking story it follows. Rafiki had me hooked for every second it was on. By the end, I was spun around by so many emotions, I had no idea how to feel. Angry, sad, and oddly enough hopeful. This is a movie that made my heart cry and sing. What an awesome and timely film; watch it!

• Dec 11, 2019

Beautifully made film with great acting talent on what is a somewhat standard story but significant for its country of origin.

• Nov 06, 2019

Bright and colourful, but bland story.

Bright and colourful, but bland story.

• Oct 14, 2019

Along with a pulsating soundtrack that perfectly captures the East African sense of place, Rafiki is a visually stunning film that is timely, relevant, and beautifully Kenyan.

• Aug 20, 2019

Set in Kenya, two young women fall in love and begin a lesbian relationship. However in that country, any type of gay relationship is not only forbidden but it's also illegal. Things will take a very dark turn when the women's families and the local townspeople find out about what's going on. I thought this film was filled with rich and real characters. Plus, the cinematography and vivid colors on screen were exceptional. I will look forward to the next movie of director and co-writer Wanuri Kahiu.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Oct 01, 2018

The intentions are definitely noble, especially considering that the film was made in a country where homosexuality means a death sentence, but unfortunately the love story is developed in an extremely corny way and the ending is a dishonest cop-out that frustrates for its naiveté.

• Sep 27, 2018

Best kenyan movie after Nairobi half life. The romance is dope. Gives you goose bumps every time. I'd watch it again. Its an 8/10 for me. God bless kenya