Raging Phoenix (Deu suay doo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raging Phoenix (Deu suay doo) Reviews

½ October 14, 2013
The Thai movie "Raging Phoenix" has a decent potential with a poignant back story, but unfortunately it is overshadowed by drawn-out fighting scenes. Some of the scenes even takes the duration of 10 minutes or more of the movie (without any break whatsoever). After a while, it gets a tad tiring to watch.
½ October 2, 2013
A forced and mediocre story is no match for the amazing and magnificent choreography in the numerous fight scenes. If you don't know the martial arts phenom that is Jeeja Yanin yet, you must watch this one!
March 14, 2013
A freaking awesome movie I never thought it was going to be this good best freak in action flick ever man!!! 8 thumbs up high-five fricking alleluia good movie:-)
December 16, 2012
LOVE Love this Movie! I Love Jija Yanin:) She's Awesome!
December 15, 2012
Jeeja shows her talent beyond Muay Thai with a detour in Capoeira, but in the end the first love with elbows strikes win. Coreography good as always, plot marooning into a boringdoom striking with the power of big feet.
½ October 15, 2012
Forget about the token non-sensical plot elements, it didn't take me 5 minutes to find the fighting unrealsitc, dull and repetitive.
½ June 10, 2012
Wow drink pro break dance with fight
April 22, 2012
As expected there is hardly a plot here, just reasons to move from one action sequence to the next. But despite that, the choreographed fight sequences were very impressive, and even the melodrama from the cast was fun to watch.
April 14, 2012
Tony Jaas female equivalent JeeJa Yanin comes good again in this pretty cool martial arts flick, broken bones aplenty...
½ March 21, 2012
This may be a B movie, but only because it's one of those films that doesn't take itself seriously. It is cheesy in some parts and the acting is decent, but it does have a solid plot you can follow and some killer fight scenes where they combine break dancing with martial arts. When girls start disappearing because of a human trafficking organization, 3 guys who use alcohol intoxication and a combination of martial arts and break dancing take on the criminals. Fun movie worth checking out
March 3, 2012
Incredible movie starring the Thai female sensation Jeeja Yanin. In this, her 2nd movie she's a part of a team with 4 men who are out to smash an organisation that have kidnapped 'special' women. The purpose being that tears from these women have health benefits and people will pay a lot of money for it.

The fight choreography is outstanding and at times it's like watching poetry in motion. For those that loved the Drunken Master movies then you'll enjoy the martial arts here which combines breakdancing and drunken muay thai. In case your wondering although Jeeja is the main star in this movie she does have to share her screentime with 4 people who get to show off their martial arts skills too.

I've got to hand it to the Thais, they're certainly innovative with their fight sequences and action movies. Raging Phoenix comes highly recommended and Jeeja Yanin raises the bar once more after her brilliant debut in Chocolat. Can't wait to see her next movie.
February 13, 2012
Entertaining movie but not nearly as good as Chocolate.
January 8, 2012
Keep in mind I knew this wasn't going to be like watching a well scripted drama. This was basically going to be a lot of setup and filler in-between fight scenes. For that reason I have to admit I spent most of the movie surfing the net and gave an occasional look at the screen to keep track of where the film was. Fight scenes were indicated by grunts and yells so I missed none of them.

Overall the film brought to mind the movie Band of The Hand. Oh joy. Same requirement of the "good guys" having to train hard in montages, and also work at getting along before finally taking on the "bad guys" who, like the drug dealers in BoTH, are likewise immune to regular police enforcement.

The early fight scenes are reminiscent of the dancing, spinning, acrobatic fighting found in 70's B-movie chop socky flicks with a tad bit of capoeira enough to look exotic. Like those old standbys, a major part of the first half of the film is all the "good guys" doing their level best to show they could replace Jackie Chan as the next "Drunken Master". Although as the movie progresses, aside from perhaps arriving drunk to the fight, no one drinks during the fight anymore. I am not even sure anyone was drunk in the last scene, despite the opening scenes where alcohol was what basically allowed them to be super fighters.

In the opening scenes the lesser baddies go down without much resistance, and are difficult only because they are in numbers. The baddies at the end are gods who take vicious blows to EVERYWHERE many many times over, and aside from getting a bit dirty, look fresh enough to go all night long. I have to admit this did prompt me to going back to web surfing to pass the time while the bad guys got softened up. Having made these villains so superhuman it takes a level of brutality to defeat them that it not just borders on the ridiculous, it goes all the way to the heart of the capital. If that's your thing, this is your movie. If not, have a hobby you can engage in at hand like I did.

All the bad guys die, and the good guys enjoy a Pyrrhic victory; but the world has been made safe from the evil depredations of human traffickers/perfume makers so we can all bask in the warm glow of hope as the movie closes credits.

I liked some of the fight moves a lot. I just wish they were depicted as being as brutal as I knew they would be if used for real. Having liked them enough early on kept me around until the end. This film can be turned on as background noise. You can definitely go to the corner store, take a few minutes of watching when you return to know exactly where you are in the movie's progress. Also feel free to move around and do what you have to.... like laundry or whatever.
½ October 7, 2011
½ September 2, 2011
Breakdance fighting on its own is pretty lame, but drunken monkey Muay Thai breakdance fighting is... well... about what you would expect. Only here it's delivered with sugar and spice by the cutie from CHOCOLATE,
August 3, 2011
Whoeiiii breakdancing meets Muay Thai, cool moves! Storyline has some gaps, but Jija Yanin fills that up with her character (which is much more likable than in Chocolate) and of course the cool moves.
August 3, 2011
Yanin alone saved this movie from being a POS. Lame plot, awesome choreography.
August 1, 2011
A beautiful, colorful martial arts movie from Thailand, depicting a fictional fighting style that combines Muay Thai, drunken boxing, capioeira and, of all things, b-boy dancing. It starts off strong and fresh, although midway through the film, it drops much of what sets it apart and becomes a more traditional, if still quite good, fighting flick. Yanin "Jeeja" Vismitananda is outstanding.
June 24, 2011
The martial arts in this film is great, and the storyline is interesting, but there's a bit of a humorous and nonsensical air throughout the movie that doesn't really go along with it.