Raging Phoenix (Deu suay doo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raging Phoenix (Deu suay doo) Reviews

½ June 24, 2011
The movie is a drunken parkour capoeira-muy thai movie all rolled into one. It's few good fight scenes gets overshadowed by the rest of its mediocre fight scenes that should've been dialed up a half-second or second faster so that it doesn't look like they're on "training-mode".
June 11, 2011
Drunken Hip-Hop Muay Thai boxing? Yes please this movie rules the Thai keep cranking out better and better action stars and movies. If you love action and stunts thus is a must see.
April 28, 2011
Excellent martial arts film. The vulnerable charisma of the main actress is irresistible, and the fight sequences are way above anything you have seen in creativity and even to some extent realism (real hits)...

It is a bit slow to start, but the patience is more than rewarded. Some of the introductory scenes are a bit strangely and annoyingly acted, but they do give the feel of an authentic "local" colour... The dialogue translation does not always carry well, but an unexpected surprise is the quality of the sets, and even better the quality of the title music, which is unfortunately used only in one electrifying fight (not the final one!)... Some good heroic scores do support a few of the bigger scenes. The constant lack of any weapons is a quickly accepted part of that universe, and is not annoying...

Very few of the moves do look wire-assisted, but much less obviously than in the big sword brawl in "Kill Bill"... If you wait through some of the slightly confusing or repetitive introductory fights (except one amazing one with several evil henchmen on spring-jumping stalks that allows them full airborne 360s), the repetitiveness actually lessens as the film goes on.

Much better than far more pretentious fare, especially the music!...

G.Louis
April 16, 2011
If you're willing to sit through 1 hour and 30 minutes of character development and bizarre story, than you are rewarded with a 30 minute face-kicking and hard-hitting fight climax.

A big step down from Jeeja Yanin's last movie, Chocolate. In this one she gets to show her acting chops, and she's only okay. Her character transforms from whiny teenager to ass kicker in the time allotted, but you don't watch a movie like this for acting.

There are only a few fights, and the ones at the end are the best. They definitely save the best for last, although there are some noticeable wire moments which stray from the realism.

As for the story, there is nothing on Earth like it. A bunch of males who have had their girlfriends and fiancees stolen by a sex traffickers band together and use martial arts to fight them. They add a girl to their group and mellow around for a bit, and then finally find the sinister villain who is stealing women's tears in her underground lair (seriously) to sell to rich people.

There are also lots of usage of bad CGI in some of the non-fighting scenes, and the pacing is off when it comes to balancing action and drama. As a whole package its very disappointing, but for martial arts movie lovers will get a kick out of the solid fight scenes.
April 10, 2011
Though not as good as Chocolate Raging Phoenix is still a decent action film from Jeeja Yanin and company. The action scenes are simply jaw dropping and some moves have to been seen to be believed.
½ March 6, 2011
Crap plot, but beautiful HD transfer and astonishing fights!
½ February 23, 2011
not to bad the fighting was awesome but the rest not so much
½ February 15, 2011
@##%#^$&%*^%*(^%*%*&%$&$&U$&)????!!!!@@@@@@
January 25, 2011
The story was a bit strange, the martial arts KICKED ALL TYPES OF ASS... eyecandy for guys and girls,STYLING MADE MY HEART JUMP IN ITS APPROVAL,Yanin's Hair was to die for and god... Sompong(dogshit) is so fucking SEXAAAAYYYY...just saying :) <3
deano
½ December 27, 2010
Amazing and the best Thai girl fighting movie ever made. This was surprising me personally, because JeeJa Yanin's previous role in Chocolate was so introverted and robotic that it was essentially impossible to determine whether or not this girl could steal a scene without beating someone's brains in. In Raging Phoenix, however, she really cuts loose during the opening half as she jokes around, engages in some funny dialogue, and participates in some light-hearted fight scenes involving drunken styles of martial arts. That one-vs-many boat brawl is - now wait for it - a boat-load of fun.
I love the cavern hideout finale lasts a solid 30 minutes is outstanding as well as JeeJa is going to defeat three enemies by herself while her buddies were down.
Tell you the truth, I really liked JeeJa's debut movie better than this.
½ December 27, 2010
Amazing and the best Thai girl fighting movie ever made. This was surprising me personally, because JeeJa Yanin‚(TM)s previous role in Chocolate was so introverted and robotic that it was essentially impossible to determine whether or not this girl could steal a scene without beating someone's brains in. In Raging Phoenix, however, she really cuts loose during the opening half as she jokes around, engages in some funny dialogue, and participates in some light-hearted fight scenes involving drunken styles of martial arts. That one-vs-many boat brawl is ‚" now wait for it ‚" a boat-load of fun.
Tell you the truth, I really liked JeeJa's debut movie better than this.
December 21, 2010
Visually interesting, but it's so slowly paced. I was expecting more from that actress after seeing her in Chocolate, but at least we know she won't be rehashing the same things year after year like Tony Jaa!
½ December 8, 2010
Who knew you could kick so much butt just by dancing? Plus drunken Muay Thai? Kicks-ass! lol* To be honest I don't really care much about the whole plot of this movie because the story was quite ridiculous. The story starts off interesting but as it carried on the results are awful. I mainly rate this because of its martial arts. Although I admit many of the fight scenes was too aware of looking cool but I liked it anyway.
December 5, 2010
Deep down in her underground lair, Jaguar Gang leader London (Jindasee Roongtawan) and her diabolical henchmen are milking the tears from kidnapped women for use in some kind of super-perfume that... well, it's not really clear what it does, but it sure is expensive. Deu (Yanin "Jeeja" Vismistananda), nearly kidnapped herself, is rescued by Sanim (Kazu Patrick Tang), whose sweetheart was taken from him by the Jaguar Gang on their wedding day. Sanim and sidekicks Pig Shit (Nui Saendaeng), Dog Shit (Sompong Lertwimonkaisom), and Bull Shit (Boonprasayrit Salangam) teach Deu the art of Meyraiuth, which is apparently some fusion of breakdancing, Zui Quan, and Muay Thai. The group soon sets forth to thwart the sinister plot and find Sanim's bride. Or something like that.

I'm going to go ahead and get straight to the point here. While I was genuinely looking forward to seeing Raging Phoenix, this film takes the prize for the absolute worst Asian film I've ever seen. When the bad guys chasing Deu on bladed pogo-stilts make their appearance five minutes into the film, I had more or less given up any hope of intellectual stimulation, but I'm afraid that was only the beginning. If you thought Chocolate (2008) was silly, you clearly haven't seen Raging Phoenix.

To be fair, I found Yanin "Jeeja" Vismistananda to be charismatic, likable, and certainly more attractive in this film than she appeared in Chocolate, but she could be Gong Li and it still wouldn't save this train wreck of a film. While I found Yanin "Jeeja" Vismistananda perfectly tolerable, I can't say the same for Kazu Patrick Tang's character, Sanim, whose brooding personality wouldn't look out of place in Twilight if it weren't for the facial hair. Meanwhile, Jindasee Roongtawan, who plays London, has zero acting ability, though, fortunately for us, she doesn't appear until quite late in the film.

The first thing Raging Phoenix fails to do is establish any indicator of place. All we know is it's all going down somewhere in Thailand and the beach can be seen several times throughout the film. Aside from the beach, most of the sets-particularly the Jaguar Gang's lair-look like something from a theme park. Whoever designed these sets made some very liberal use of plaster and dry ice. If you're foolish enough to endure this film, my advice to you is to see it in low resolution. I made the mistake of seeing it in full 1080p, which didn't make the poorly executed CGI look any better either. Also, why is there an unexplained bottomless pit in the Jaguar Gang's lair?

Besides all that, isn't the whole premise of rendering perfume from the human body lifted from Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006), one of my favorite non-Asian films?

What makes Raging Phoenix so bad isn't just the fact that it's, well, bad, it's that it doesn't even seem to know it. The actors/actresses cry like babies as if we're supposed to take them seriously or even join in on the schmaltz-fest. Even the cheesy dramatic music is overkill and, lastly, there's the issue of pacing. If you're going to make a movie even half this bad, you could at least do your audience the service of shortening it up a bit. This was truly an ordeal on my part.
November 27, 2010
Unfortunately, the story was not as compelling as I'd hoped, but there was still a lot of cool stuff to see. I wish this movie stayed down the comedic route. It would have had potential to be up there with Kung Fu Hustle.
November 14, 2010
Really enjoyed watching this film enough to watch it a few more time just to see the cool martial art stlye used in the film.
November 11, 2010
I really enjoyed this- it is probably an action movie geared more towards those with a *slight* affinity for romance- but the action was good and very plentiful, the story wasn't lacking, and it actually got some tears out of me. I would recommend this for those that like martial arts action without buckets of blood. The only inconsistency I found was that the beginning is all about drunken martial arts only later, really don't use alcohol. This can probably be explained by the "secret" to the fighting art later explained- but still you have to look deep to grasp that.
½ November 10, 2010
Another awesome movie with amazing fights
November 10, 2010
just like chocolate...fighting sequence is 4 thumbs up!
½ November 7, 2010
A much better movie than her last (Chocolate). JeeJa Yanin shows off much better martial art prowess in this movie. The acting and story a much better than her previous, but still rather lame. I won't go into details about it as the main focus of the movie, in my opinion are the fight scenes. Much more polished and impacting. Though I must say, the 30 minute fight with the chick at the end of the movie is ridiculous. She should have been beaten and or died multiple times, but yet she kept coming back like nothing happened.