Raiders of the Lost Ark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raiders of the Lost Ark Reviews

½ September 13, 2016
May have been getting distracted through movie...
September 10, 2016
Maybe you had to grow up with it.
Although the production design and musical score is astounding and the action is mildly fun, the utter cheesiness and multitude of coincidences don't hold up.
Come at me.
September 10, 2016
Classic Harrison Ford adventure!
½ September 5, 2016
71% - The film has some pacing issues in some parts of the film. But as a whole, Raiders Of The Lost Ark is a decent action-adventure film with solid humor and fine suspense.
September 5, 2016
Not terrible. Reminds me of Goonies. Very adventurous and exciting and fun.
½ September 5, 2016
Exciting with good action and wry humour, Raiders of the Lost Ark begins not only an entertaining franchise but also the basis of the action hero archetype today.
September 4, 2016
Almost a companion piece to Star Wars, Raiders is both a nostalgia piece and an example of three great filmmakers (Spielberg, Lucas and Kasdan) all working in sync and operating at their peak capacities. One of the greatest examples of classic '80s filmmaking.
½ September 2, 2016
Trazendo Entreterimento e humor familiar,Raiders of the Lost Ark uma perfeita aventura para distrair -- e divertir.
August 31, 2016
Yes, yes... we have superman, batman, the x-mans... who ever pops up... But, lets admit it... Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones!
August 29, 2016
Undeniably a classic and never runs short of pure entertainment, at its worst Raiders of the Lost Ark is family fun that's stood the test of time against many others of a similar calibre... And at its best, it's a hands-on action adventure, featuring an excellent Harrison Ford and enough intrigue to keep most audiences entertained.
Verdict: A+
½ August 22, 2016
My all time favourite movie. It is what so many adventure movies aspire to be, yet sadly dont achieve. It has the feel of a sepia comic book come to life, and you just dont want the movie to end, it is that good.
August 17, 2016
It's really hard to write a review about a movie that does everything right and absorbed me so completely. Raiders of the Lost Ark is, if not the best, one of the best American adventure movies I've seen or will ever see. Few films have so effortlessly charmed and captivated me, tickled my curiosity. I don't even know where to start. Part of the reason it resonates so much with me is because its history and nostalgia. It's a film from the 80's about an adventure in the 30's that uncovers ancient artifacts and most of all it reminds me of seeing it as a kid. It's a breathtaking trip through time, through the historical events and my own life.

Another one of its talents is its appearance and feel. It looks remarkably vintage and sharp with its handsome characters and pristine period costumes, but its also wild and rugged with its dusty adventures and stunning locales. The escape from the jungle tomb, the bar fight in the mountains of Nepal and the unearthing of the Ark in the desert are all iconic scenes that are thrilling and dripping with spectacle. Every shot is illuminated by the glow of a striking sunset or by burly flames closing in. The cinematography, production design, lighting, etc are all incredible. It feels like a tomb raiding movie should, full of adventure and relentless energy in the pursuit of the Ark. The music by John Williams embellishes the film with even more power and suspense. The sound effects are amazing, every punch and crack of the whip landing with a bang. By the end of the movie, you will be exhausted from the whole experience.

The performances are just awesome and Indiana Jones is surprisingly the most compelling too. First of all, Jones has a raw charisma that is rare and Ford plays him almost perfectly, creating an enduring and iconic figure. Jones is a walking paradox. He's an archeologist, who are supposed to be dull, cautious and dweeby, but Indiana is explosive, charming and full of life. He's a grave robber that's well educated and goes on these adventures for the museum rather than the money. He's really smart and really passionate about what he's interested in. Of course its fun to watch Indiana fight and run and crack his whip, but he's also a very human, relatable person. He's dorky, he cares about the history and he can be outmatched both intellectually and physically.

The romance, sexual tension and unresolved history between the two leads is outstanding. His kissing scene with Marion was great, an amusing way to showcase their budding, tenuous relationship. Marion is assertive and vivacious and gives a very strong performance that I really enjoyed. Even the villains in this movie are thoroughly satisfying, as distinguished Nazis and an arrogant, but very human rival archeologist. He is clever and well-mannered, but vulnerable too. The manner in which the film unravels and reveals information is intriguing too and the narrative is amazingly paced between moments of thoughtful discovery and violent, compelling action.

The underlying mystical power present in the film is also very interesting. Indiana is a man of science and study, who believes in facts and has an incredible thirst for knowledge. Like Han Solo, he doesn't believe in higher powers and this furthers the story. With all the conflict in the film, the main conflict in the story is actually Indiana's inner struggle. It is a clash of knowledge, scientific vs spiritual. In every film, Indiana happens upon things that science can't explain and have unexplainable power. And every time, Indiana is humbled by a mighty spiritual presence. The idea that there are some things man wasn't meant to conquer or understand is a central one. 't makes it all the more interesting when Belloch talks about good and evil, how he is a shadow and Indiana should turn to the dark side. Also Marcus Brody foreshadows that death surrounds the Ark and Indiana doesn't believe him, but comes to understand that. The thunder during Indiana's dig and the spirits exploding from the Ark at the end further that point. Raiders of the Lost Ark is just plain awesome not only for its action and intelligence, but for its deeper search as well.
August 17, 2016
Still holds up. Love this movie.
½ August 11, 2016
92%
Thrilling action sequences and colorful characters make Raiders of the Lost Ark a classic on almost every level, and it is terrific Spielbergian entertainment.

V: 87%
½ August 11, 2016
An all time classic, an entertaining action packed movie full of mystery, with iconic scenes and dialogue, and an amazing performance by Harrison Ford, all thanks to the great direction by Spielberg and the great script by Kasdan.
August 9, 2016
The best action movie ever made. For me this movie is perfect. That is all
August 7, 2016
A true classic. Amazing movie!
½ August 7, 2016
I think the hype might have ruined this one for me. Never really rose above dumb fun, not that that's a terrible thing for a movie to do. But the way this thing is revered and lionised, good grief. It never had a chance. I'm sure if I'd seen it when I was a kid (like I did Temple of Doom, which I remember fondly even though it freaked me the fuck out) it would have been amazing.
August 2, 2016
Raiders of the Lost Ark really captures the feeling of most 1930s and 1940s adventure serial. It has amazing action and stunt-work, and great directing by Steven Speilberg, great preformence by Harrison Ford, and some thrilling scenes.
½ August 1, 2016
perfect entertainment that has not aged one bit