Raiders of the Lost Ark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raiders of the Lost Ark Reviews

½ August 22, 2016
My all time favourite movie. It is what so many adventure movies aspire to be, yet sadly dont achieve. It has the feel of a sepia comic book come to life, and you just dont want the movie to end, it is that good.
August 17, 2016
It's really hard to write a review about a movie that does everything right and absorbed me so completely. Raiders of the Lost Ark is, if not the best, one of the best American adventure movies I've seen or will ever see. Few films have so effortlessly charmed and captivated me, tickled my curiosity. I don't even know where to start. Part of the reason it resonates so much with me is because its history and nostalgia. It's a film from the 80's about an adventure in the 30's that uncovers ancient artifacts and most of all it reminds me of seeing it as a kid. It's a breathtaking trip through time, through the historical events and my own life.

Another one of its talents is its appearance and feel. It looks remarkably vintage and sharp with its handsome characters and pristine period costumes, but its also wild and rugged with its dusty adventures and stunning locales. The escape from the jungle tomb, the bar fight in the mountains of Nepal and the unearthing of the Ark in the desert are all iconic scenes that are thrilling and dripping with spectacle. Every shot is illuminated by the glow of a striking sunset or by burly flames closing in. The cinematography, production design, lighting, etc are all incredible. It feels like a tomb raiding movie should, full of adventure and relentless energy in the pursuit of the Ark. The music by John Williams embellishes the film with even more power and suspense. The sound effects are amazing, every punch and crack of the whip landing with a bang. By the end of the movie, you will be exhausted from the whole experience.

The performances are just awesome and Indiana Jones is surprisingly the most compelling too. First of all, Jones has a raw charisma that is rare and Ford plays him almost perfectly, creating an enduring and iconic figure. Jones is a walking paradox. He's an archeologist, who are supposed to be dull, cautious and dweeby, but Indiana is explosive, charming and full of life. He's a grave robber that's well educated and goes on these adventures for the museum rather than the money. He's really smart and really passionate about what he's interested in. Of course its fun to watch Indiana fight and run and crack his whip, but he's also a very human, relatable person. He's dorky, he cares about the history and he can be outmatched both intellectually and physically.

The romance, sexual tension and unresolved history between the two leads is outstanding. His kissing scene with Marion was great, an amusing way to showcase their budding, tenuous relationship. Marion is assertive and vivacious and gives a very strong performance that I really enjoyed. Even the villains in this movie are thoroughly satisfying, as distinguished Nazis and an arrogant, but very human rival archeologist. He is clever and well-mannered, but vulnerable too. The manner in which the film unravels and reveals information is intriguing too and the narrative is amazingly paced between moments of thoughtful discovery and violent, compelling action.

The underlying mystical power present in the film is also very interesting. Indiana is a man of science and study, who believes in facts and has an incredible thirst for knowledge. Like Han Solo, he doesn't believe in higher powers and this furthers the story. With all the conflict in the film, the main conflict in the story is actually Indiana's inner struggle. It is a clash of knowledge, scientific vs spiritual. In every film, Indiana happens upon things that science can't explain and have unexplainable power. And every time, Indiana is humbled by a mighty spiritual presence. The idea that there are some things man wasn't meant to conquer or understand is a central one. 't makes it all the more interesting when Belloch talks about good and evil, how he is a shadow and Indiana should turn to the dark side. Also Marcus Brody foreshadows that death surrounds the Ark and Indiana doesn't believe him, but comes to understand that. The thunder during Indiana's dig and the spirits exploding from the Ark at the end further that point. Raiders of the Lost Ark is just plain awesome not only for its action and intelligence, but for its deeper search as well.
August 17, 2016
Still holds up. Love this movie.
½ August 11, 2016
92%
Thrilling action sequences and colorful characters make Raiders of the Lost Ark a classic on almost every level, and it is terrific Spielbergian entertainment.

V: 87%
½ August 11, 2016
An all time classic, an entertaining action packed movie full of mystery, with iconic scenes and dialogue, and an amazing performance by Harrison Ford, all thanks to the great direction by Spielberg and the great script by Kasdan.
August 9, 2016
The best action movie ever made. For me this movie is perfect. That is all
August 7, 2016
A true classic. Amazing movie!
½ August 7, 2016
I think the hype might have ruined this one for me. Never really rose above dumb fun, not that that's a terrible thing for a movie to do. But the way this thing is revered and lionised, good grief. It never had a chance. I'm sure if I'd seen it when I was a kid (like I did Temple of Doom, which I remember fondly even though it freaked me the fuck out) it would have been amazing.
August 2, 2016
Raiders of the Lost Ark really captures the feeling of most 1930s and 1940s adventure serial. It has amazing action and stunt-work, and great directing by Steven Speilberg, great preformence by Harrison Ford, and some thrilling scenes.
½ August 1, 2016
perfect entertainment that has not aged one bit
½ July 31, 2016
Apresentando humor e ação,Raiders of the Lost Ark traz equilíbrio de aventura e comédia na medida certa,direção prestigiada e atuação fantástica de Harrison Ford.
July 30, 2016
Amazing movie

Just incredible.

My all time favorite!!!
July 29, 2016
One word " Perfect "
½ July 28, 2016
Trazendo diversão e aventura no mesmo nível, Raiders of the Lost Ark, equilibra roteiro,direção e atuação muito bem para um filme do gênero.
July 23, 2016
Quite possibly the best action film ever made.
July 23, 2016
This is an amazing, all around perfect film
July 17, 2016
Spielberg in all his Spielbergian Spielbergness.
July 16, 2016
What a classic adventure for all time, I love this movie!
July 11, 2016
The world is a better place having this movie in it. The ULTIMATE adventure movie. Important to its time and intriguing throughout.
July 6, 2016
Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic adventure serial that is perfected by the outstanding direction from Steven Spielberg and acting from star Harrison Ford.