Raiders of the Lost Ark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raiders of the Lost Ark Reviews

August 23, 2017
A film very worth of repeat viewings. An absolute classic that will or should stand for the ages.
August 22, 2017
Raiders of the Lost Ark is a cliched uninteresting movie, wich script's unwisdom is evident and fight scenes's fake punches turn it less credible, however it has different perspection comparing to the other action movies. Furthermore the soundtrack and the cast prevented this turmoil unnecessary things from becoming a black hole.
½ August 17, 2017
With thrilling action created by a suspenseful but simple plot, fantastic direction from Spielberg and a charismatic performance from Ford, ;Raiders of The Lost Ark' is a superbly entertaining film that never loses steam and has, rightly so, become a truly iconic piece of entertainment with numerous memorable moments.
½ August 12, 2017
Indiana Jones is one of the classic adventure movies we have all heard of. I saw this movie when I was about 9, and I really enjoyed it for one reason: the action. It was an easy movie to enjoy for just the fun adventure aspect and nothing more. It was also the first time I watched a Spielberg movie, and it got me interested in him. I have been a fan of his works ever since.
So this is an action movie at it's heart, and everything in that aspect is great. Its exciting and fun when it has action, as well as sometimes thrilling. It's just genuinely enjoyable and makes up for the lack of narrative heft. You've probably also heard something about how this movie ends that's a common complaint, but I won't ruin it, however I do agree. It pretty much defeats the purpose of the movie. Nonetheless, it's thoroughly entertaining.
Harrison Ford's performance is also great. While he doesn't do all his stunts, he is still perfectly fitting in the role. This movie also has some humor which adds to the campy fun of the movie. Finally, the sets are also great. There's nothing that feels cheesy or fake in this movie thanks to all those things.
Overall, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost ark is a classic Spielberg adventure film. All the action in the movie is exciting and entertaining without being over the top, and makes up for the sometimes unexceptional narrative. There's also humor, realistic sets, and a great central performance that fits the character that make the adventure feel of this movie better. It's not an award-winning masterpiece, it's just an entertaining action movie, and nothing more.
August 11, 2017
Well...I wasn't expecting to see Raiders of the Lost Ark now. I was saving it for a rainy day. But, here I am, reviewing the first film in Steven Spielberg's hit trilogy...and the fourth movie. There's never a dull moment in the first entry in the Indiana Jones franchise as it has one of the most iconic film openings in cinematic history, great action and a clever sense of humour. Who wouldn't laugh at a bad guy just waving his sword around only for the good guy to casually shoot him dead despite his intimidating appearance? Well, I chuckled at its execution, anyway, I don't know about you. Harrison Ford shines as Indiana Jones. He has a bit of a Han Solo-type personality and this does indeed feel like a spin-off set in an alternate reality where Star Wars was realistic before the events of A New Hope. I don't know, something like that. It's these type of movies that have me admire Steven Spielberg. But, then again, this movie was released during his heyday as a director. He's not a bad director nowadays. I'm anticipating Ready Player One just as much as you for all those Easter eggs. He seems to never deliver as greatly as he once did. Even though I loved The Adventures of Tintin. The movie has horrifying imagery for a PG-rated film but what film released in the 1980's and prior did? Yet it took a sequel and some scary puppets to have Spielberg convince the MPAA to invent the PG-13 rating. Times change. All in all, the first entry in the collaboration between Spielberg and George Lucas is an amazing one that boasts entertainment value that's all but impossible to resist.
½ August 10, 2017
Story about an daring explorer who is also an archaeologist/teacher during the 1930's. Harrison Ford's star making performance. Another Spielberg gem. So many iconic scenes.
August 9, 2017
One of Steven Spielberg's greatest films, Raiders of the Lost Ark is an unforgettable hit!
August 8, 2017
When it comes to adventure movies with class that are well-made pieces of cinema, I can't think of a better example than the brainchild of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. I'm talking about the great Raiders of the Lost Ark (or Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark as they title it on the box art now). It's one of the last truly great action adventure films of the last thirty years that not only delivers on the genre's expectations, but also turns in remarkable performances, beautiful photography and incredible production values. It may have come first in the eventual series of films, but it's also the best. I also consider it to be one of the top five best films of Spielberg's entire career. Everything just came together like clockwork on this movie and it turned out better than anyone expected. It also holds up incredibly well as a dynamic and well-made popcorn movie. There would be sequels with the runaway success of the movie, of course, but this entry is a perfect mixture of talent, and it will never be topped.
August 7, 2017
Raiders of the Lost Ark does have a central human villain but it honestly doesn't even need him. The world in itself is a tricky beast, what with all the traps, shady people, and spies who inhabit it. This is suffocating, white-knuckle cinema at its finest. Danger and suspense shroud every single scene, sometimes through information given to the audience that itself unbeknownst to the protagonists, but mostly through the sheer vulnerability of our characters. Fearless-ness and cunning wit can only take you so far when the action is so grounded in reality. Our hero frequently gets put into distressing situations with seemingly no way out, barely escaping death countless times. The entire middle section of the film might as well be a montage of epic setpieces. The film's action culminates in a breathtaking car chase scene that lasts for what feels like eternity. It must be seen to be believed.
½ August 4, 2017
This movie is still fun to watch no matter how old it gets. This movie won Oscars and is considered a classic by most people. If by some reason you haven't seen it (or have kids an appropriate age who haven't as well), there is no time like now to give it a watch! I am sure that I will see it many more times before I die.
½ August 3, 2017
'Indiana Jones' embodies adventure, and the spirit of the franchise is just unique, unrivalled. Commercial, certainly, but commercial at its very best, it is, additional to being among Harrison Ford's definite roles, an action film which fulfills all of its aims, that is, being entertaining as entertainment can be, offering great journeys in time and space (which are of course, more the fruits of imagination than science, but it's all part of the spirit of the films). 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' illustrates this perfectly, and takes full advantage of the captivating Lost Ark to create an enthralling film, which, filmed by Spielberg's expert hand, is just a pure thrill, especially for kids.
July 31, 2017
Though, when it comes to today's standards, it might not be as breathtaking as it once was, but that doesn't mean "Raiders of the Lost Ark" can't deliver an adventurous ride full of wit and style that can surely satisfy an audience. Steven Spielberg definitely made this as a homage to "Lawrence of Arabia" since he's a big fan of it. Well, I'll say, bravo for coming in close. You surely made a classic.
July 26, 2017
What a movie! One for the ages that can never be replicated. This film has a perfect blend of comedy,action, adventure that never gets old. A story about a James Bond type character who just always finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. The film is so simple on every level which is what Spielberg and Lucas specifically wanted to do and it worked. I think for most people who have seen this film will put it in their top 10 of all time greats. A great score and terrific acting from Harrison Ford with a truly classic story makes this a must watch for any film lover.
July 25, 2017
Spielberg and Lucas at their best. Great visuals, great score and is down right a fantastic starter for one of the most well know action franchise in film history.
July 25, 2017
Movies do not get any better than this. Raiders has it all... action, humor, a great story, great characters and perfect pacing. It's an extremely fun adventure, chasing an intriguing piece of religious lore, with great characters and a lot of humor. Seriously, if you don't like this flick, go back to your reality TV.
July 25, 2017
Raiders practically sparked the action-adventure genre and cemented Harrison Ford's image as a swashbuckling adventurer. Spielberg poured well-directed charm, romance, comedy, thrills, dangers, and scares into one film-one of the greatest films of all time.
½ July 23, 2017
So this is how it all started! The first installment of Hollywood's most beloved archaeologist, Indiana Jones! Very entertaining and although I knew the best moments of the film because they are now popular culture, they were so thrilling and exciting. 5 Academy Awards from 9 nominations. Great visual effects for that time and a good start for the famous franchise.
July 21, 2017
You know, I wanted to see this because I mentioned it in my review for Wither. The context in which I mentioned this in that review was to mention a film that 'heavily borrowed' from another film that, obviously, came out prior. The discussion I was having, with myself, in the review was basically talking about rip-offs. And I know what you're thinking, particularly if Raiders is one of your favorite movies of all time. 'Raiders, a RIP-OFF?!?!?! I will KILL you'. I never said Raiders was a rip-off, but there's a film from the 50s, called Secret of the Incas, that Raiders clearly borrowed from. And if you're trying to deny that fact then you must be a fan boy. Heavily borrowing from something that already existed isn't illegal. If you use it as inspiration and you go forth with your own unique story and stylistic choices, then you can use that as a jumping off point to bigger and better things. And you can certainly make that case for Raiders. It took what already existed and added onto it with great characters, great writing and great action. Another reason I wanted to watch this was simply because of the fact that I don't remember watching this film in ages. Like, seriously. I don't have any recollection of watching this after my teens. And if I did watch it when I was younger, then I retained very little of it. I mean, then again, how could I forget the melting Nazi faces, right??? How could ANYONE forget that, particularly when a lot people watched this when they were very young. But, seriously here, what can I say about Raiders of the Lost Ark that hasn't already, literally, been said in the ensuing 36 years since its release. There's nothing that I can add to this film's legend that will highlight something new that someone who's watched this may not be familiar with. Some people might not know this, but the actor who plays Belloq had a fly land on his lower lip and the slide into his mouth during one of the climactic scenes. This guy, being a pro, completely no-sold this fly and just went about his monologue. That might be something that some people don't know. But I only know that because I just noticed it completely out of nowhere. Then I went back in my own subconscious and realized that I saw it in a YouTube video some time ago. I didn't remember that it was this movie until that precise moment. But I digress. There's nothing I can say about this. Harrison Ford is great as the handsome, charming rogue. The film is impeccably scripted, everything that you see happens for a reason. While I knew that this film was violent, particularly for being rated PG, I was still legitimately surprised at how violent some of the scenes actually were and how they were able to get by with a PG rating. I wish the MPAA was as loose with its ratings as they used to be in the 80s. Karen Allen and Harrison Ford have great chemistry. They achieve a balance between antagonistic while being still madly attracted to each other that's difficult to achieve. As I mentioned, there's some top-notch action here as well. The fist fights themselves are simplistic, but effective. And the giant car chase scene would fit in nicely in a Mad Max movie of this era, perhaps it would have been a little more over-the-top, but I still think it would have fit. I'm not going over the story, because then I would be here forever. But, yea, this film was pretty damn fucking great. There's a reason why this is one of the most enduring action adventure films of all time and why it's a film whose influence is still felt today, especially in video games like Uncharted. I'm not gonna sit here and say that this is the best movie ever made, because it's not. But it is a movie that any self-respecting film geek must watch at least once. Then maybe get the special edition DVD and behold at how this film was put together, which would then gain you a new appreciation for the mastery that is on display here. I can't complain in the slightest, I had an absolute blast watching this and I would highly recommend it. Yes, this review totally sucked, but it's Raiders, the movie speaks for itself and there's nothing new I can really say that hasn't already been said. Two thumbs up for this movie, for sure.
July 10, 2017
This is the gold standard for all action movies. Ever.