Rain Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rain Fall Reviews

½ May 23, 2014
There are brief moments when you think that just maybe this "Bourne" wannabe will take off. But it never does. And for all kinds of reasons: In every scene, the trite musical score instructs exactly how we're supposed to feel, and during those scenes when we're meant to feel gooey and happy for the lovers, the music's cloying sweetness makes your teeth rot. The schmaltzy and chaste (and exposition-laden) romance scenes make you squirm with embarrassment. And how do we learn that the tough-guy protagonist really does have a heart of gold? Well, he tells his girl that a kitten is his favorite memory of growing up. (Really. A kitten.) Not content to leave it at that, we are subjected to a treacly flashback in which a boy and a kitten emote in an epilogue that just goes on and on.

The casting is off too. Our Bourne-like super agent, supposedly a native New Yorker, is played by a thoroughly uncharismatic actor who speaks English with a Japanese accent. ("Rain Fall" seems to have been made for the Japanese market where this would go unnoticed.) And the big "surprise" that comes near the end is utter logical nonsense.

There's even cheesy product-placement: A Midori sign hangs in the front window of what is supposed to be the Village Vanguard, a jazz club in Greenwich Village. (Yessir, melon-flavored Japanese liqueur is the beverage of choice in every smoky downtown New York bar.)

And then there's Gary Oldman, who's clearly in it just for the coin, and who chews up the scenery and spits it out in every frame he's in. His acting shows all the subtlety and finesse of a runaway freight train in what is surely the hands-down worst performance of his career. It is so hilariously bad, that it's good, which may be the only reason to watch this turkey.
½ April 21, 2014
Never Really Gets Going..Try As It Might.. Just Fails To Pick-Up & Draw You In. Frustrating To Watch.
October 19, 2013
good crime thriller but really no english track? wtf!
½ April 19, 2013
Watchable movie a bit Bourne identity
September 26, 2012
OK. Oldman is great - OTT as usual
½ August 13, 2012
Starts out well, but descends into a mixture of over acting by some (including Oldman) and just plain bad acting (almost everyone else). drivel.
May 13, 2012
A 1/2 Japanese 1/2 american movie, some parts just don't translate well.
January 29, 2012
Dull and generic spy movie
½ January 19, 2012
Just could not get into this at all, I like Gary Oldman but I don't like the ten minute dialogue at a time in Japanese with subtitles then back to English again. One or the other please I found it rather annoying. Definitely miss this one
½ January 16, 2012
The casting is great, and that's about the only positive thing to say about Rain Fall. Apart from the general lackluster, it really does not do the book justice, in story, characters, or mood. For as fantastic as the source material is, this movie is a bitter disappointment.
½ January 12, 2012
All conversations between Kippei Shiina and Kyoko Hasegawa in this film don't work as the script wanted them to do at all. Hard to explain but they just sound so strange.
I liked a director, Max Mannix's previous writing work, "Tokyo Sonata". So I was looking forward to seeing this film so much, but very disappointed.
August 6, 2011
16% way too low. Solid if your into CIA type movies, which i am.
June 16, 2011
It's unfortunately pretty awful. Gary Oldman must have needed money in between being Sirius Black and Commission Gordon because even he delivers an uneven performance. Slow pacing and the Bourne-"wannabe"-style action leaves a lot to be desired. They don't even utilise the Japan-setting to their advantage. Don't bother.
½ June 3, 2011
Good story, good action, and a nice ending...
½ April 30, 2011
Completey failed to carry the spirit of the book. An action flick that's slow and boring with a tepid romance and weak directing. Rain Fail.
April 22, 2011
This was a GREAT flick. A lot of action, a very cool dramatic plot, and the ending was really great. Not a "popular" movie. But very worth watching to me!!!
April 4, 2011
A 1/2 Japanese 1/2 american movie, some parts just don't translate well.
½ December 26, 2010
This film uses its association with Gary Oldman as its selling point. Surely a gifted and accomplished actor such as Gary Oldman would make any movie great right? That is what I bought into here, and I was rewarded. Although I liked the movie because of its Japanese feel. Lots of music, very little dialogue in parts. A copycat thriller for the most part. Think Bourne meets Tokyo.
½ September 6, 2010
Gary Oldman is a master at his craft and has pulled off amazing portrayals of all types of characters in his stellar career. But in this film he is asked to portray a character that was just not meant for him, a CIA big shot.

Apart from being shamefully derivative of the Bourne films, Rain Fall is just dull. It can't even approximate the intensity of the aforementioned franchise, and Gary looks really pathetic trying to occupy space better left to Chris Cooper.

There is an aspect of Japanese culture at work in this film that some may appreciate, but aside from that, I cannot recommend this one.
September 6, 2010
This movie is a Japanese Bourne Identity. Only you had to read subtitles and it wasn't as nearly action packed. Gary Oldman overacts his part and tried to compensate for the lack of intensity of the movie. They over killed the love story undertone that materialized and then fizzled. It totally derailed the whole movie. I was looking for a good action flick and ended up with disappointment. Skip this movie it isn't worth the time.