Rain Fall Reviews

• May 22, 2014

There are brief moments when you think that just maybe this "Bourne" wannabe will take off. But it never does. And for all kinds of reasons: In every scene, the trite musical score instructs exactly how we're supposed to feel, and during those scenes when we're meant to feel gooey and happy for the lovers, the music's cloying sweetness makes your teeth rot. The schmaltzy and chaste (and exposition-laden) romance scenes make you squirm with embarrassment. And how do we learn that the tough-guy protagonist really does have a heart of gold? Well, he tells his girl that a kitten is his favorite memory of growing up. (Really. A kitten.) Not content to leave it at that, we are subjected to a treacly flashback in which a boy and a kitten emote in an epilogue that just goes on and on. The casting is off too. Our Bourne-like super agent, supposedly a native New Yorker, is played by a thoroughly uncharismatic actor who speaks English with a Japanese accent. ("Rain Fall" seems to have been made for the Japanese market where this would go unnoticed.) And the big "surprise" that comes near the end is utter logical nonsense. There's even cheesy product-placement: A Midori sign hangs in the front window of what is supposed to be the Village Vanguard, a jazz club in Greenwich Village. (Yessir, melon-flavored Japanese liqueur is the beverage of choice in every smoky downtown New York bar.) And then there's Gary Oldman, who's clearly in it just for the coin, and who chews up the scenery and spits it out in every frame he's in. His acting shows all the subtlety and finesse of a runaway freight train in what is surely the hands-down worst performance of his career. It is so hilariously bad, that it's good, which may be the only reason to watch this turkey.

• Apr 21, 2014

Never Really Gets Going..Try As It Might.. Just Fails To Pick-Up & Draw You In. Frustrating To Watch.

• Oct 19, 2013

good crime thriller but really no english track? wtf!

good crime thriller but really no english track? wtf!

• Apr 19, 2013

Watchable movie a bit Bourne identity

Watchable movie a bit Bourne identity

• Sep 26, 2012

OK. Oldman is great - OTT as usual

OK. Oldman is great - OTT as usual

• Aug 13, 2012

Starts out well, but descends into a mixture of over acting by some (including Oldman) and just plain bad acting (almost everyone else). drivel.

• May 13, 2012

A 1/2 Japanese 1/2 american movie, some parts just don't translate well.

A 1/2 Japanese 1/2 american movie, some parts just don't translate well.

• Jan 29, 2012

Dull and generic spy movie

Dull and generic spy movie

• Jan 19, 2012

Just could not get into this at all, I like Gary Oldman but I don't like the ten minute dialogue at a time in Japanese with subtitles then back to English again. One or the other please I found it rather annoying. Definitely miss this one

• Jan 16, 2012

The casting is great, and that's about the only positive thing to say about Rain Fall. Apart from the general lackluster, it really does not do the book justice, in story, characters, or mood. For as fantastic as the source material is, this movie is a bitter disappointment.