Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer Reviews

½ July 8, 2017
So incompetently crafted that it makes the Saturday-morning cartoons seem like Disney classics.
October 18, 2016
Looks like some kinda He-Man like show or action packed 80s anime. I'm interested.
August 27, 2016
Why do all critics hate this movie? I would understand if it does have certain problems for a theatrical animated feature that's based on a cartoon, but I think it's still nicely stunning with a new catchy theme song.
December 10, 2015
I loved this movie growing up!!
½ October 22, 2014
While this is aimed at younger kids, it still manages to be quite impressive...even nearly 30 years later. More for girls than for boys, but it is so well written that any child could find something to like about it.
½ March 6, 2014
It's got a catchy song or two but this movie is poorly animated, poorly written, and just plain stupid. My IQ fell a bit after this viewing.
September 16, 2013
This is my favorite movie in my childhood! I loved it!
January 22, 2013
Is it wrong for a guy like me to want to see a movie like this?
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 1, 2012
Great piece of 80's cuteness! ^_^
September 22, 2012
Seen it before, want to own it
June 28, 2012
Even in the world of merchandise tie-in animated movies, this Rainbow Brite outing is pretty terrible. One of the main points of the film revolves around the Big Bad tying a rope around a planet and towing it to her home with a spaceship. Yeah, okay. Then there are the unnecessary comic asides with two bumbling villains that don't work on any level. Over on the editing and scripting side, the action constantly shifts away from Rainbow Brite and her mission just to keep the ancillary characters fresh in the minds of the audience. Those minor scenes, though, last a whopping 30 to 45 seconds, never providing enough time for those sequences to do anything of importance. The end result is a film that goes beyond cheesy to so sugary sweet I wanted to get my teeth checked after watching it. Even other blatant money grabs of the decade like the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies included risk and, well, real world stakes. There's nothing like that here, if you include winter not being able to go away...and the people of Earth literally giving up because of the snow and grayness. Really?
April 11, 2012
she brings colour to the world! what more do ya need to know?
June 2, 2011
I totally enjoyed this when I was a kid!
March 24, 2011
Yes, it's a cheesy kids cartoon-based movie from the 80s, but it actually was really cool, the story is good and so is the animation. I enjoyed it, and I think kids today will still like it too.
March 24, 2011
A wonderful kids movie full of hope and life lessons! I even enjoyed it, and I'm not a kid anymore.
½ March 23, 2011
At times its so unbelievably terrible, that its actually hilarious. But most of the time its just terrible.