Raising Genius - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raising Genius Reviews

May 10, 2014
classic, Justin Long is hilarious in the straight to video comedy!
March 21, 2013
Terrible. Hard to watch. Difficult to believe that it was filmed/released in 2004; quality appears to be much older. Strange. Watching not recommended.
October 11, 2012
Funny little satire with a good cast.
July 29, 2012
0 stars. This movie isn't really about anything. The ad nauseum back-and-forth arguments between high-strung mother and basket-case son are frustrating and pointless.
February 14, 2012
One of the blackest comedies I have ever seen. All three characters are living in a universe that is hard to believe. Hal just won't leave the bathroom and mom is the classic enabler.
January 28, 2012
"YAWN"

What does the above tell you about this film???
xxdebxx
September 11, 2011
The story about a teenage genius Hal (Justin Long) who locks himself in the bathroom for three months, in order to work out mathematical equations on his shower walls and secretly ogle his cheerleader neighbor, Lacy (Danica McKellar) without interference from his overbearing mother Nancy Nestor (Wendie Malick) who sees herself as the perfect wife and mother. A battle of wills ensues with Nancy determined to lure her son out for a valedictory speech and Hal equally determined to stay in the john. Psychologist Dr. Curle Weeks (Ed Begley Jr.) comes to Nancy's aid to develop a program that might get her obsessive-compulsive son out of the bathroom. Stephen Root stars as the beleaguered dad who just wants to get through each day while Malick is hilarious as Hal`s social-climbing and equally dysfunctional mother.
½ August 20, 2011
Justin Long was remarkable in this movie, although this movie had other great actors. Steven Root's character reminded me of his character from the Office Space. This was a very interesting movie. I didn't expect it to end the way it did. It just wasn't realistic but I would definitely recommend this movie.
October 16, 2010
my parents, rased a genius :)
March 24, 2010
surprisingly somewhat funny movie..which probably wouldn't be that funny if the mother didn't remind me exactly of my own mom. She says some things that are word-for-word out of my Mom's mouth.
January 20, 2010
"YAWN"

What does the above tell you about this film???
August 24, 2009
The best movie I've ever seen.
March 12, 2009
Another under rated comedy. I laugh so hard at this movie I cry every time I watch it!
February 11, 2009
So weird and not understandable. The script goes nowhere.
½ February 5, 2009
why isn't this movie more popular
August 3, 2008
A comedy attempts to annoy you...
July 7, 2008
Could have had some better scenes, but I liked it overall.
June 8, 2008
It's kind of a bizarre movie, but I really like it.
May 24, 2008
This interesting and offbeat comedy excels thanks to lead Justin Long. The increasingly interesting actor is no stranger to tackling different types of film roles (how else can you follow up a nice supporting role in the very good Galaxy Quest with a lead in the pretty good horror film Jeepers Creepers?) and his astonishing role as Hal Nestor, a valedictorian who locks himself in the bathroom to work on a mathematical formula (he prefers that term instead of "equations") that somehow involves the cheerleader next door bouncing on a trampoline, is easily his best and most offbeat work yet. Most like Mos Def's characterization in 16 Blocks, Hal may come off as more than a little bit annoying, but Long understands his character, using his quirks and odd ticks as a catalyst rather than a means, making him more endearing than grating. There may not be so many guffaws as there is hearty chuckling, but the repeated attempts by Hal's mother to get him to get out of the bathroom. The film gets a bit deep in the last half, but the dramatics aren't overbearing, and it ends where it should (even though the credits hold something very funny). Chances are, if you somehow manage to find this enjoyable flick, you'll enjoy it immensely. Recommended.
½ March 22, 2008
This sucked!! Terrible acting!