Raising Victor Vargas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raising Victor Vargas Reviews

½ August 20, 2014
Parts of it focuses on how females will fall for anything to give up the booty early on... then the romance lol
June 16, 2014
Raising Victor Vargas" is an interesting, vicarious cultural study. Sad and sweet. Poses a the well-loved dramatic question we see in a plethora of movies ranging from Disney's "Snow White" to "Crazy/Beautiful" (Kirsten Dunst): can love save us from the grittiness of life? You have to be in the mood for the production values of independent film to appreciate this quirky story.
½ January 11, 2014
Sweet little indy film.
½ October 26, 2013
Some of the younger actors overact the thug aspect of their characters and it gets annoying. But the charm of the cast is great and the story is very engaging. Highly recommend.
May 17, 2013
It's simple, funny, insightful and authentically acted. Raising Victor Vargas doesn't try to be anything more then a simple coming of age love story and it fully succeeds.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ October 24, 2012
A realistic teen story
July 20, 2012
I didnt find this particularly illuminating or funny, but theres something to be said about the performances, which feel authentic and warm, and the way Sollett took every opportunity to show them off.
July 11, 2012
Highly overlooked inner city drama that rings true about young adolescence.
July 4, 2012
Very intriguing, it delivers a brief over-look over the lives of teens in an realistic manner, and doesn't stereotype in its approach, quite splendid.
June 16, 2012
One of my favorite movies! So simple and poignant. Indie filmmaking at its best!!!
½ May 8, 2012
Judy Marte is exceptional.
March 14, 2012
This movie is supposed to be wicked. Definitely wanna check it out.
December 19, 2011
Excellent Teen movie!
½ September 8, 2011
Much like it's main character, it charms you until you love it.
½ June 16, 2011
It's... just... true.
May 31, 2011
Refreshingly understated coming-of-age story hits all the right notes. It's low budget adds to the flavor, but the real show here is the script and the performances. Writer-director Peter Sollett elects to reveal the insecurities of his characters, which adds real depth and poignancy to the drama. The acting by the largely nonprofessional cast is superb. Meticulously shot by Tim Orr.
May 30, 2011
made me want sum NYC
May 9, 2011
this movie is really cool the ending was wack
½ April 5, 2011
Woah, four days without a movie. I needed a fix. I was familiar with this title for whatever reason, and it was evidently well-received nine years ago. Though a bit aimless, not hard to see why.

The characters are the strong part as the story is somewhat weak. A kid claims to be good with girls but is really banging the fat girl upstairs. This is the opening scene and then she is gone and I am left wondering what happened to the poor fat girl who just needed some loving like everyone else.

Rasuk is the main character and is pretty realistic. Marte is the lead female and is probably the weakest role. Some of her delivery is wooden and clearly scripted. All of the other characters are pretty good. Diaz is fantastic as a cute and awkward girl who likes to pretend to be a baby bird in one scene, and has duck boxers in another.

The story just doesn't move that much from start to finish. No real highs or lows, just a pretty steady look into a few days of the lives of these people. It is pretty well-done, capturing some seemingly authentic moments, but it could have included something that sucked me in more.