Rambling Rose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rambling Rose Reviews

August 29, 2008
Laura Dern is awesome in this movie.
½ February 4, 2008
Really enjoyable because it was so totally different from any other movie I have ever seen.. It tells the story beautifully, from the point of view of a young women growing into adulthood in such restricting times.... lovely costuming too.
½ January 24, 2008
Laura Dern shines in this story of a girl who is part saint part slut and all sincerity in this charming movie about Southern mores.
January 6, 2008
Stupid slutty bitch.
October 26, 2007
dern, ladd and duvall at their finest. a lovely movie
½ October 7, 2007
This movie was a bizzare portrait of a troubled slut in the south and how she touched the lives of a somewhat moral family with a VERY horny son. Diane Ladd doesn't play Laura Dern's mom. Weird. I don't know if I liked the story itself but the actors did an adequate job with what they had to work with.
September 13, 2007
Quirky film made worthwhile by the effervescent Laura Dern and the always reliable Robert Duvall.
September 13, 2007
looks pretty good. might wanna see it sometime.
glamourina1
½ August 7, 2007
This movie is retarded.
½ August 7, 2007
ok, if I remember right.
July 9, 2007
I saw this movie when I was very young...It disturbed me a little...I probably shouldn't watched this movie at such a young age...but I did...
½ July 1, 2007
Can't do Laura Dern.
½ June 2, 2007
Dern is very good. good story.
deano
½ March 19, 2007
This unusual coming-of-age movie is charming, warm, witty and full of delightful surprise about a naive but sexually uninhibited girl arrives in an old-fashioned Southern household and soon has all the men in the family, indeed in the town, in a tizzy.
March 19, 2007
It is a frequently made observation that roles for women can be desperately limited, if not in number then in scope. That being the case the part of the eponymous Rose must have been a tremendous gift for Laura Dern. She siezes it with both hands and gives this complex character real ife. Dern's Rose is a character of tremendous charm and subtle shadings; Rose may be simple but Dern is careful never to make her stupid. The performance garnered an Oscar nomination (in the frankly outstanding year in which Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon were up for Thelma and Louise and Jodies Foster won for Silence of the Lambs) but it is hardly the sole attraction of this very fine film.
Robert Duvall is his dependably excellent self as Daddy and it is to his credit that he finds the balance in his character, who could have come off as an ogre, and makes us like and respect him. Also Oscar nominated was Diane Ladd as Mother and she gives a performance of great strength and dignity, vital in the last act of the film.
Then 14 Lukas Haas again shows that he was one of a very few child actors who aren't monumentally annoying. His strong performance may be down to a real understanding of being a hormonal teenager or it may simply be that he WAS a hormonal teenager, but it works and he's a fine partner for Dern in their scenes together.
Martha Coolidge strikes a fine balance between the more sexual elements of the story and the sweetness of the tone of the film, never more so than in the film's outstanding scene where Rose asks if she can get in bed with Buddy and he uses this oppurtunity to get her to let him explore her body. This could be deeply unsavoury but the dialogue takes that out of it, making it about a curious boy and a desperate, confused girl and it ends up being a sweet scene in spite of itself.
The film also tiptoes between comedy and drama, but it's strongest when mixing the two, as with Dern's lovely line about being "Only a human girl person".
An excellent character piece, with terrific performances from all concerned, Rambling Rose is the kind of movie that they just don't make enough of.
½ December 10, 2006
didnt like this one...... nope thats for sure
August 23, 2006
dern and ladd are sooooooo good in this! but damn this films ending, i was upset for days!
February 28, 2006
Here's another film rating.
½ July 13, 2005
[i]Rambling Rose [/i]is a smart, nostalgic piece set in a small town southern town in the 30's. Great performances by Laura Dern, Robert Duvall, Diane Ladd, Lukas Haas and John Heard.

[i]The Doors[/i], directed by Oliver Stone, is a stylistic, yet terribly uneven look into the world of Jim Morrison. Val Kilmer does an amazing job as Jim Morrison, but instead of a well-rounded story it often becomes an exercise in self-idolization. I was hoping for a bit more, and that's coming from a Doors fan. Still worth seeing for Val Kilmer's performance.

[i]Regarding Henry [/i]stars Harrison Ford as an insenstive, ruthless attorney who accidentally wanders into a burglary ended up shot in the head. Once he emerges from his coma he realizes what a jerk he was and attempts to mend his way. Well he should have been nicer before he got shot.

[i]Sleeping With the Enemy [/i]bills itself as a psychological thriller, however you may need to take something to keep you awake. Stars Julia Roberts. I only like a couple of movies she's been in, and this isn't one of them.

L.A. Story is a sophisticated comedy starring Steve Martin as television weatherman enjoying a typical LA yuppie life. Life changes when he is fired and finds out girlfriend Trudi (Marilu Henner) is cheating on him. Enter Sandee (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Sara (Victoria Tennant).