Rampage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rampage Reviews

September 25, 2016
A great film. Not only does it keep you entertained, it also hasa great message behind it. A must see!
½ February 8, 2016
Widely credited as being Uwe Boll's first good film and preceding a rather entertaining sequel, Rampage had to be seen to decipher where his skills actually took effect for the first time.

What's really surprising about Rampage is the fact that it does not feel like a Uwe Boll film at all. Internationally recognized as the worst filmmaker of modern day, Uwe Boll has drawn particular criticism for his many cheap-looking video game adaptations, even when he has large portions of money to spend. In the case of Rampage, he is helming original material and clearly has limited funds to spend. As a result, he cannot create an overblown film or bring big-name celebrities on board. This means he relies on a significantly more simply route of filmmaking which manages to prove his actual area of expertise.
Echoing the work of Joel Schumacher's Falling Down (1993), Rampage is a film with consistent commentary on contemporary America which progressively leads towards a violent climax. The story essentially comes from the question, "What would happen if I got up one day and decided to shoot everyone in my path?". Having dealt with many of my own frustrations in the world I have admittedly asked myself this, and rather than going out to a college to shoot it up like an American teenager Uwe Boll uses the medium of a film as a safe exercise in mass murder. Bill Williamson has to encounter the real problems of everyday life, ranging from poor customer service at a Coffee House and a Fast Food restaurant to an overly frustrating boss who fails to appreciate his contributions to the service. These plot points are not cliche, these are genuine issues which people find frustration with every day but everyone has to deal with. Rampage provides viewers the opportunity to see the problems resolved in the most gleefully violent manner possible. Frankly, it is the kind of film which would provide stress relief for anyone having a bad day simple because this style of plot point constitutes the entire narrative before leading to an extensively violent climax. These two elements combine together to allow underlying social commentary on the functioning flaws of society to break away from the violence where Bill Williamson promotes a changing time and takes it into his own hands. It's hardly deep and its a familiar plot point, but he's an engaging character who keeps things moving along. The script itself is very generic and carries little in the way of surprises, but the dialogue feels natural enough not to attack viewers with artificiality even though there is a tendency for the more talkative sequences of the film to drag on with loose periods of arbitrary dialogue.
Admittedly, Rampage is no Citizen Kane (1941). It has a thin story and it doesn't make much of an attempt to be the deepest and most engaging film because it is a simplistic feature, and as the title promises, the majority of its focus rests on how it depicts its rampage. And though you would never be able to tell it from literally any other Uwe Boll film, the man actually knows how to capture a sense of style.
Visually, Rampage is a fairly solid exercise in style. There are some problems when the cinematography can get a bit too shaky for its own good, but in comparison to many of the contemporary Hollywood films that the director loathes, Uwe Boll exercises the technique with significantly greater restraint and sensibility. Most of the time it does what it is supposed to: it captures a feeling of realism, whether it be for the casual moments of conversation or more intensively for the violent scenes of the film. In the case of the latter there are plenty of entertaining deaths in Rampage due to Uwe Boll's passion for violence and his determination to capture it with visual gusto and a fair level of blood and gore. It is never excessive, but there is plenty of it to keep the exhilarating thrills moving along. The sound effects help to keep the climax of this scene rich, and the musical score is also intense. Uwe Boll manages to craft a very stylish collection of violence for Rampage while containing the premise to a mere 85 minutes as not to drag on. The man knows his limits this time around but he also knows his potential, and by the end of Rampage I'm certain that very many viewers will too.
And impressively enough, Rampage does not go without a strong lead actor.
Brendan Fletcher's leading performance is an impressive one. Managing to actually find a character in a Uwe Boll film, the unknown Brendan Fletcher makes a name for himself. As the story starts he is a rather generic representation of America's troubled youth, but when the film reaches its titular rampage he unleashes the full extent of his power. Strutting the town in his suit of armour with a fearless grip on his weaponry, Brendan Fletcher manages to lay a truly intimidating impact on Rampage. He grasps the character with a passion for sadistic black humour and genuine aggression which captures a strong extent of insanity, delivering rich ferocity to the part and keeping it active every second the material demands it. When he removes his mask midway through his slaughter and reminds us of his true identity and as a mere young boy, it serves as a reminder of the countless young people in the world who have lost their way and been driven to violence, particularly the teenagers shooting up American college campuses. Brendan Fletcher's leading performance offers a powerful showcase for his intense dramatic skills in what is effectively the greatest performance given by any actor in a Uwe Boll film.

Rampage has a thin plot overall, but due to its subtle yet valid social commentary, strong leading performance from Brendan Fletcher and a tenacious passion for violence captured with style, Uwe Boll proves capable of actually making a solid feature.
½ August 21, 2015
Rampage serves well in being a footage of mindless killing, yet that doesn't constitute much plot and characterization for a film.
½ August 8, 2015
One the worst Indie Movies out there and there are better straight than this.
July 9, 2015
Bolls einzigste Ausnahme! Aber sind eigentlich alle Kameramänner in seinen Filmen besoffen oder betraf das nur diesen Film?
½ June 8, 2015
This is simply the worst movie ever made. Pure useless garbage. You're better off smashing the dvd with a hammer.
½ May 25, 2015
This in fact, may be Uwe Boll's only good film. its different than all the other crap he's made.
April 30, 2015
I gave this movie 4 stars not because I liked the subject matter but because it is truly possible that only one disturbed person can conduct themselves in such a psychotic manner. Sadly, we live in a world where this can certainly happen with a group of terrorists!
½ January 26, 2015
This was a quite a really good film.The acting and writing were quite good and the story was well done,But the action scenes had a lot of shaky cam so that brought the movie down a bit.Overall this is a very well made film with really good acting and a very engaging story.
Grade B+
January 15, 2015
You don't really want to call a movie like this good, but it works. Terrible subject matter, but it was interesting and definitely has a twist.
½ December 26, 2014
For what this is it's pretty damn good. A young man decides he's going to go on a record-setting killing spree and he does just that. As awful as that is, it turns out to be a decent movie. Fletcher is relatively unknown and I guess most of the dialogue was improvised, which is kind of neat. Furthermore, I like the set up of it all. It's actually pretty smart in that regard.

What does bother me is how much I hate the character doing the killing. He's a piece of shit. I can't say a whole lot without spoiling it, but I guess since there's a sequel, maybe you can guess.
½ December 7, 2014
all killer no filler lack of much of a story but worth a watch. glad the prick in the coffee shop got it. and the scene where all the people in the bingo hall don't even notice him just shows how oblivious society can be. nice twist ending at the end too, the boy definitely pulled off a real caper/massacre. filmed In Fort Langley, BC right across bridge from me too.
October 19, 2014
It was actually good. I was genuinely surprised that Uwe Boll made a good film.
October 15, 2014
Worst movie I seen since Kung pow maybe even worse
½ October 6, 2014
This movie is awful.
½ September 28, 2014
The only reason I initially watched this was because it was the name of a popular video game I used to love playing. However, now that I watched it...it was darkly entertaining.
September 23, 2014
This is the most mint shoot em film ever bar none!! Effects are just right to the point where when you see people gunned down on the street it looks just like on the news when they are reporting in a warzone.
Story line is chillingly realistic in that there are kids in America that would think this is a good idea and would be capable of doing most of what he did.
There are some excellent one liners, great revenge scenes and a clever overall plot. Just heard the sequel is out, must watch it soon.
½ September 20, 2014
What a shitty movie! My main gripe with is the lack of character motivation and glorification of murdering innocent people.