Rancho Deluxe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rancho Deluxe Reviews

March 20, 2016
I liked it!! Early Jeff Bridges, fun to watch.
October 15, 2015
McGuane just had a way with hip throwaway dialogue and Perry's deadpan style works wonders. The cast, including Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston is first rate. Then why was this so entertaining forgettable? You'll have fun while it's playing and then grasp at the vapors on your way to your car afterwards.
½ April 29, 2015
"Rancho Deluxe" is the epitome of a "sleeper," in both the good and bad senses of the word. Let's face it -- this film is dull. Intentionally dull, even. The setting is the open spaces of Montana, and the screenplay is quite straightforward in indicating the characters' chief motivation for doing anything is just sheer boredom. Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston play a couple of laidback cattle rustlers who torment a swaggering rancher (Clifton James), as much for laughs as for profit. The dialogue is loosely written, and scenes abruptly cut off when the well runs dry. More exciting moments (such as the abduction of a prize bull or a visit to a brothel) are perversely chopped before the real action occurs, and there's really not much reason to watch until Slim PIckens comes along and steals the movie as a wily rustler hunter. Harry Dean Stanton has some nice scenes as a corrupt ranch hand with a heart, but Elizabeth Ashley is wasted. Jimmy Buffett (still a couple of years away from being wasted in "Margaritaville") briefly appears in a bar sequence and sings a few songs on the soundtrack.
January 21, 2015
Interesting movie with some really wonderful characters, but I'm not sure I really enjoy the happy-go-lucky-outlaw format that was so popular in the 1970's. Sometimes it just sits wrong with me when a filmmaker expects his audience to automatically root for the thief, particularly when the actor playing "the man" is able to imbue that character some sympathy. Waterston is outstanding as a "native american" and Sheriff CW Pepper from the Bond flicks delivers a much more subtle performance as cattle baron Brown.
½ November 27, 2013
Harry Dean Stanton and Jeff Bridges playing Pong is reason enough to watch this film. Besides that, this film is a charming low-key comedy about a pair of modern day cattle thieves played by Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterson. Beyond that, there's not a real strong narrative, but the film is filled with colorful characters and terrific supporting performances by Clifton James, Slim Pickens, Harry Dean Stanton, Joe Spinell and Patti D'Arbanville (who I've had a crush on since "Big Wednesday"). Warren Oates also has an uncredited cameo as a harmonica player in one scene.
November 15, 2013
If you're from the west you'll love this classic, especially getting to see Bridges and Waterston in their early years. I was grinning throughout. Not deep, but definitely entertaining.
½ October 8, 2012
The term offbeat western seem to linger large in the 70s where directors such as Arthur Penn with Little bigman and Missouri breaks, Sam Peckinpah with Pat Garrett and Billy the kid ,John Huston with The lIfe and Times of Judge Roy Bean and of course Robert Altman McCabe and Mrs Miller,all sought to trample over classic western genre cliches.

In 1975 writer Thomas McGuane and director Frank Perry came up with this comedy drama about two modern day cattle rustlers who try to keep one step ahead of a ruthless cattle baron.

Sam Waterston and Jeff Bridges are excellent as the two rustlers in question and they are more than a match for Clifton James as the cattle baron and Harry Dean Stanton and Richard Bright as the two cattle men who start as foes but ened up as friends.

The film also has a very funny subplot involving farming private eye Slim Pickens and his seemingly innocent daughter.

The films works becuase the casting is uniformly excellent and it has cult film written all over it from the start.
Sure the editing is a bit clunky and the film does wander in places but all in all this is another 70s gem.
March 17, 2012
Watching "Rancho Deluxe" is an experience that no one should have to endure. The film is unbearable and painful and awful in almost every cinematic aspect that there is. It is horrendously scripted, edited, and acted, and after 45 minutes of watching the director trip over his own two feet countless of times, I shut the film off. What a waste of celluloid.
February 24, 2012
These guys ripped off this cattle owner big time, but got caught in the end.
½ July 15, 2011
The best scene involving Pong I've ever seen! Oh, and there was some rustling.
½ April 24, 2011
Finally saw this film. Only thing going for it was the early Jimmy Buffett soundtrack and his appearance. Reminded me of a made for tv movie...
October 2, 2010
Too self-conscious about its parodic Western motifs, but with so much great chemistry on screen it is easy to enjoy regardless. Watching Bridges and Stanton in a sustained two-shot, reflected on the game of Pong they are playing is just magical. Jimmy Buffett's sleazy country rock score, not so much, especially in that scene.
June 22, 2010
An interesting, funny little gem from 1975.
May 5, 2010
an enjoyable comedy about modern -day (well... 1975) rustlers in montana. bridges and waterson - the rustlers - come off as laid back criminals just looking for some fun. the pacing is a little slow but i really liked the cinematography which really captures the "big sky" country of of montana.
½ August 25, 2009
I really wanted to like this movie, but it sucked. Great soundtrack though.
May 10, 2009
Elizabeth Ashley, Harry Dean Stanton and Richard Bright...and the scene where Bridges and Stanton are talking over Pong
March 25, 2009
Rancho Deluxe is an aquired taste flick that is rich in it's execution. Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston do a great job of portraying two subtley surreal and dead-pan funny cattle-rustlers. The atmosphere and cinematograpy of the movie is equisite and relaxing to enjoy. Harry Dean Stanton does a great job as he always does. My only wish for an editing in this film is to have more of Mr. Stanton in the flick. Otherwise, I love this movie.
March 11, 2009
I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants. Oh wait...er.. ah....ooops.