Random Harvest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Random Harvest Reviews

August 16, 2016
It's impossible for the film to be as excellent as the novel that it's based on (it's much more melodramatic and less deep), but it's a serviceable adaptation nonetheless.
July 29, 2016
My favorite all time movie. I watch it at least once a year.
August 15, 2015
Loved this old movie
½ January 17, 2015
There are things in the film that wouldn't make any sense in our high tech world, but the charm of the many twists and turns make for a charming voyage, as we get lost into this tale of love given so honestly by Paula to the amnesiac Smithy... Romance with a Capital "R" & The tear jerker to end all tear jerkers--Along with NOW, VOYAGER and CASABLANCA, RANDOM HARVEST is one of the three most emotionally satisfying movies to ever come out of Hollywood's classic period... O PERFECT LOVE-Some day the miracle will happen!!
July 21, 2014
One of the most romantic films of all time.
February 19, 2014
The whole plot line is a wee bit far fetched. Can Ronald Colman remember anything. Nonetheless it is charming. Likely a good distraction from the war in its time.
February 4, 2014
One of my all-time favourite films. Colman and Garson are absolutely superb!
hunterjt13
October 13, 2013
A WWI amnesiac falls for a dancer, but their marriage fails when he loses his new memories and regains his old ones.
The plot of this film is excellent in its construction, but its execution lacks. The initial courtship between "Smithy" and Paula is so quick and seemingly insubstantial that it defies believability that she should so quickly give up her life for him. This is the "old movies" courtship that involves women and men speaking about marriage after the first or second meeting, but here it is more ridiculous considering the uncertainty of the man's position. What is more, the final resolution comes about solipsistically rather than spurred by the "secretary's" work. A good opportunity for a compelling scene is ignored, and the film suffers for it.
The performances by Greer Garson and Ronald Colman are strong, and Garson's charms are on display both in her role as alluring dancer/singer, as efficient secretary, and as notable society wife.
Overall, the performances and the basic outline of the story buoy the film, which could have taken more time to develop its characters.
August 11, 2013
Definitely meandered in parts, and took a while to finish, but overall decent.
½ June 29, 2013
Random Harvest is a fantastic romance film, as well as being a great drama. Unless most films involving amnesia premises, this one never feels ludicrous, nor does the film overplay emotions like most others will. The plot is engaging, the acting is superb, the music is wonderful, and there's never a dull moment to be had. It's a beautiful, heartwarming, and fantastic film that should be watched by anyone who loves a good romance or a good drama. Why this isn't more widely recognized, I'll never know.
½ June 2, 2013
it's been a while u havent watched something as classic as this, delightful as always :) memorable
April 22, 2013
Wonderful story about the terrible scars war can leave. The characters are brought together then ripped apart in such unusual ways that it can eb hard to believe, however the story is told so well that it is easy to get drawn along.
March 15, 2013
The best movie I have ever seen. Made in an era when people were kind to each other.
December 27, 2012
A truly romantic film.
½ July 15, 2012
A great romantic melodrama of the 40s with moments that will make you cry.
½ May 20, 2012
Fantastico melodrama romantico en el que un veterano de la primera guerra mundial (Ronald Colman), luego de escapar del manicomio, se hace amigo y se enamora de una actriz de teatro (Greer Garson). Todo parece ideal hasta que la tragedia surge en forma de amnesia. Gran direccion, grandes actuaciones y una historia tan romantica que logra derretir corazones.
February 21, 2012
What a beautiful, truly beautiful picture -- one that breaks your heart, inspires, and moves. A loving wife (Greer Garson) finds an amnesiac WWI veteran (Ronald Colman) and falls in love with him. But when amnesia strikes a second time, their perfect lives fall into misery and incredible displays of self-sacrifice and loneliness.

Greer Garson is beautiful and perfect in her role as the selfless soul who adores her true love. The story is sprawling, unique, and deftly traced. It is a long picture, coming from a novel, and the time enables us to grow to love the characters and feel their injustice all the more. But what makes this film work for me is the incredible selflessness everywhere expressed -- from the wife, the lover, the doctor. A show to make your heart soar with inspiration and love.
January 12, 2012
one of my fave period weepies
½ August 18, 2011
Wow! Charles Rainier (Colman) is an amnesiac World War I veteran who's going from the name John Smith as said by his asylum doctors. He escapes one night, and is found at a cigarette store by a kindly showgirl named Paula (Garson). She takes him in, and eventually they fall in love in get married. Soon, he is hit by a car, and gains all of his memory back, losing his knowledge of Paula and their son. Paula's baby soon dies, and has no where else to go, and takes a job at a company that Rainier owns and works as his secretary. Slowly, she does her best to regain his memory, but is soon interrupted when he's getting to beautiful heiress Kitty (Peters). What will Paula do now? "Random Harvest" is something that I had noticed in my favorite movie guide "501 Must- See Movies". I saw "Mrs. Miniver" first, and immediately I knew that I just had to see another Greer Garson melodrama. There's only a few to pick from on this website however (which is very stupid), and this one sounded the best, so I queued it up. Thank god! This is a highlight in legendary filmmakers Mervyn LeRoy's long career, and well as all of the other actors involved. Ronald Colman definitely deserved that Oscar nod, as well as Susan Peters who was pretty much a one-hit wonder with this. Greer wasn't nominated because she was already recognized for "Mrs. MIniver", so that enough proves how much of a talent she was. This is brilliantly done-- when Charles regains his memory, we don't get to see anything happening to Paula: its all up to the audience what is going on, which was a smart move that added a lot to this MGM melodrama. "Random Harvest" is a great flick, and anyone who's wanting to see one of the few Greer Garson movies available, this should be your first choice.
July 27, 2011
It looks like a nice little romance that's not afraid to take chances.