Random Harvest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Random Harvest Reviews

April 1, 2011
Mega-hit and Oscar-shark at the time, and still beloved by many now, yet for some reason I find this film rather dull, and it doesn't engage me in the least, even after several viewings. Greer Garson is very good, but unfortunately she spends a lot of time off-screen, and Ronald Colman just doesn't manage to rouse my interest in the melodramatic going-ons.
February 27, 2011
Excellent Melodrama / Psycho Drama about a Man who suffers from Amnesia and live Two Lifes as a High-Ranked Business Man and Sucessful Politician and as a Life-Lovin' Poet!!! Supberb Acting, Perfect Cinematography and Bombastic Soundtrack!!!
February 21, 2011
The ultimate climax in film. Climax of climaxes. You know it's coming. You are waiting for it to happen for two hours, and when it finally does, it does not disappoint. Total tear-jerker. The way he calls out "Paula!"... beautiful. Rarely has a single word evoked such emotion in film. I read that they had to recut and recut and recut until they finally got it right.
Beautiful performances. Not completely faithful to the book since in it we only find out the identity of the secretary at the end. You can't really replicate that in film since we watch her the whole time.
But an amazing story. Ronald Colman is solid as always. And Greer Garson is eminently watchable.
½ February 11, 2011
This is a marvelous romantic drama about a shell-shocked amnesiac WWI vet (Ronald Colman) who falls in love with a music hall star (Greer Garson). They marry and have a child but while in Liverpool he suffers a car accident which restores his previous memories but erases all of his memories of his post-war life. Years later Garson becomes his secretary, changing her name and all and he eventually falls in love her all over again, marry becomes more successful. All the while, Garson's character drops hints here and there about their previous romance but it's only when he visits the town they originally met and fell in love that he begins to remember what had happened in between the three years of having become an amnesiac to when he had the car accident. He opens the front door with the key that he has been holding ever since the car accident and right there Garson calls out to him in the name she originally knew him by and then the kiss.

Now the whole story is almost unbelievable but what makes the viewer really believe what is happening could actually happen is the magnificent script based on the novel by James Hilton (Lost Horizon; Goodbye, Mr. Chips), Mervyn LeRoy's excellent, not so sentimental direction, but most importantly the performances by Ronald Colman and Greer Garson in the lead roles. The casting was absolutely perfect. Ronald Colman, in an Oscar nominated role, gives one of his best perfromances and Greer Garson would have surely had an Oscar nomination for this movie if she was not only nominated but won that same year for Mrs. Miniver. The b&w cinematography is also superb. This is a romantic film that I recommend to the fullest. Great movie. 9/10
½ January 9, 2011
An uncommonly superb romance, for a major studio film. The film's chief assets are threefold - Greer Garson, Ronald Colman, and Mervyn LeRoy. Apart from Colman, who was only better in [i]A Double Life[/i], this is career-best work for the bunch of them. A shame that the Warner DVD blurb gives away the fulcrum point of the second act. Which was infuriating, but the film lost none of its power because of it. A great film, and it surprises me that it took me this long to get around to it.
December 9, 2010
Thursday, December 9, 2010

(1942) Random Harvest
DRAMA

Went into this film totally oblivious about plot and already aware that it was well received by movie critics and movie historians alike which "can" sometimes help a viewer to appreciate a film even more! After seeing this film, I actually believe that if an updated film about an amnesiac were to be made like this today and of course done very well would be successful either by critics or in terms of it's box office!

At the beginning of the film has Ronald Coleman as an unknown called Smithy who did an exceptional job as an amnesiac, we the audience suspect that it was the result of war because much of the patients in this hospital or asylum are from 1920 WWI and besides losing limbs and other body parts, losing ones memory is also another possibilty to consider- this is why soldiers must wear tags before going into war! As the film progresses, Smithy becomes afraid and insecure and leaves the hospital without detection, there he starts to wonder the streets and people are celebrating because an announcement of WW1 had just been over! As he comes into a cigar shop, the shop keeper suspects that he's another loony that had just escaped from the hospital after conversing with him a little, and almost calls the asylum to take him away until an anonymous lady (Greer Garson) takes him under her wing! From what I'm describing is just the tip of the iceburg of a movie that is slightly more than two hours long and to say anymore is like ruining it because I believe viewers would want to be surprised while watching it!
All I can say is that on the second hour, you can almost feel Greer Garson's emotional pain because of those silences because of reavaluation of one's past one would be curious about since their was no internet at the time during times of World War 1 and II or other forms of exposure except newspapers and letters! My rating would be higher except that I have slight problems with it in terms of 'what I would do' if I was in his situation!

3 out of 4
½ November 25, 2010
Over the top women's pciture/weepie melodrama at its 1940s Hollywood best. You'll' either love this or hate it.
November 6, 2010
Melodrama? Yes. Soapy? Well, it inspired a thousand amnesiac plot lines...BUT it's oh-so-good. Garson is impeccable, Colman is fantastic. Really, just superb.
½ September 21, 2010
la primera escena es lo mejor del universo, la etapa feliz se hace un poco larga pero luego remonta. Genial ella.
July 28, 2010
This has got to be the most depressing movie I have ever seen. Not in a bad way either. Beautiful film, with the stellar grace of Greer Garson and the fumblings of Ronald Colman, it's the most romantic movies that doubles as a tear jerker that I have ever watched.
May 21, 2010
Great flick, despite my penchant for action. Drama abounds as Greer Garson holds me in suspense as Ronald Coleman figures it out right at the end.
May 13, 2010
Jeanine Basinger (an author, not just a gal who lives on my street or something) calls WWI the Amnesiac War because of all the completely bizarre plots that Hollywood decided to produce about it. This movie is case in point.
March 25, 2010
Plot is very compelling. A lot could be cut from the movie though...
March 15, 2010
Beautiful acting from iconic Greer Garson and Ronald Colman. A WWI vet has been hospitalized with amnesia for a long time, and runs away from the hospital. A beautiful performer hides him from the authorities. They fall in love, get married, and have a son. Unfortunately he is conked on the head, and remembers his former life, and forgets his family. Years later she finds him, but does not tell him she is his wife. She works for him for years as his secretary hoping he will love her again. He offers her a loveless marriage of political convenience, which is so heartbreaking. She marries him hoping he will remember and love her again. Every day of hoping slowly wears down her spirit. A happy coincedence of being in the same town they were years later slowly brings back the lost memories. I love happy endings.
½ January 8, 2010
One of my favorite movies of all-time. I loaned my DVD to someone and now I forget who.
December 27, 2009
The whole idea of this movie is really ridiculous, but I LOVED it. It is romantic, and adorable. Greer Garson and Ronald Colman are perfect together as an amnesiac WWI vet and the love he finds and then loses and finally finds again. I could not believe it, but I wanted to...perfect movie to lose yourself in.
½ December 5, 2009
Sure, the plot may be far-fetched and way melodramatic, but that's why you watch movies like "Random Harvest". Greer Garson and Ronald Colman are wonderful romantic leads, and the photography is the epitome of elegance.
rubystevens
December 5, 2009
the plot of this film is completely ridiculous. it's a big soapy melodrama and really not my kind of thing. however i feel compelled to keep watching...i can't explain...you'll just have to see for yourself
½ October 17, 2009
Here's a classic that begs to be remade. Great story. The slow pace was a little frustrating, as was the short ending for which you kept grasping throughout the film. Still, Greer Garson is amazing. Amazing.