Le Viol du vampire (The Rape of the Vampire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Viol du vampire (The Rape of the Vampire) Reviews

February 1, 2013
A trio of psychoanalysts set off to disprove the legend of the four vampire sisters, only to find that they were gravely mistaken when they encounter the girls living in a dilapidated mansion. None survive when the villagers return to kill them all, but each of the slain characters are revived in the second-half when the Queen of the Vampires returns to experiment on the four girls. Thus begins the career of France's most notorious Horror director, Jean Rollin. Rollin's first feature film dives right in to the surreal and unexplained world of dreamy mysticism for which the director has always been known. Unbound by linear structure, THE RAPE OF THE VAMPIRE blends Rollin's existentialist cinematic approach with High Gothic imagery, sexual fetishism, and the Avante Guard. For all the oppressive atmosphere and skilled cinematography, however, THE RAPE OF THE VAMPIRE simply lacks character and plot cohesion, leaving the audience guessing as to who or what is going on at all times. The stark editing techniques and rather poor acting can be explained away as being chic and independent, but as a result, the film is only likely to appeal to the eccentric Horror viewer.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
½ November 29, 2012
"Faithfull ones, take your places. Let the blood wedding begin."-Queen of the Vampires (Jacqueline Sieger)

This incohernet black and white art house film is the best Rollin film I've seen yet (out of the five I've seen).

"The world will become a feast of blood and we will have the best seats."-Queen of the Vampires
June 22, 2012
If you like Eurotrash horror then you might like this; the director, Jean Rollin, is somewhat of a cult treasure for reasons yet unknown to me b/c his first feature film is an incoherent mess. Also worthy of note: The French director actually lost the entire script three days into shooting and improvised the rest of the shoot...yeah.
June 20, 2012
Although it doesn't really have a coherent plot, part I of this experimental B&W vampire movie involves a psychoanalyst who tries to convince four sisters that they are not vampires; in part II he actually meets the Queen of the Vampires. Jean Rollin's first movie tries to be the "Un Chien Andalou" of lesbian vampire movies; it's not entirely successful but it has some nice moments and images (like the bat skewered on a rapier).
½ October 29, 2011
One of Rollin's best in his vampire series, maybe because it was the first, but still I loved it. It's got his beautiful atmospheric style, this time in black and white. And this time there is a clear story and characters you can follow. If you like Rollin's work, you have to see this one.
October 23, 2011
That was a bunch of stuff that was filmed. I have no idea what the crap this movie was supposed to be about, if anything. It looked pretty good. Lots of cute girls took their clothes off. Nothing made much sense. The editing was awful. Lots of jazz. France looks cold.
June 21, 2011
Looks like I've found my next set of trashy movies. I can only hope Rollin is as "good" as Franco.
March 21, 2011
Some good moments, but not as purely poetic as better Rollin. Instead, there is some attempt to make sense between each of the two patched-together short films, which lessens the impact of the finer parts of each. Well worth seeing for the sense of fun, mixing contemporary and Gothic elements, b&w shots of female vampires gallivanting about, fencing by firelight and such.
November 18, 2009
Kad je za volanom Jean Rollin, tu tesko da moze da se ocekuje remek-djelo, ali ovo je bas totalni debakl. Pocetak je bio i podnosljiv, sa nekoliko fino uslikanih scena, a onda poslije se ne zna ni ko pije ni ko placa. Mozda u citavom ovom idiotizmu i ima nekog smisla, ali izgubio sam svaku volju da ga odgonetam, jer je idiotizam.
Karakteristicno za tog francuskog perverznjaka, film obiluje golotinjom, naime jedna od vampirica ima haljinu sa poprilicno sirokim izrezom i... you get the idea.
½ May 22, 2009
Although some of the images are very beautiful, I felt that it was too slow with little atmosphere. Rollin films are usually an excuse to view some breasts, but this didn't appear to even try to have much of a plot at all, especially not one which was engaging in any way.
½ January 30, 2009
Gothic, bloody, and sensuous!
April 10, 2008
as with all of rollin's films, it's flaws are obvious, but it's a feast for the eyes and tremendously atmospheric.
March 31, 2008
A combination of awkwardness, improvisation, amateurism yet so very beautifully filmed... it is more aesthetically pleasing than horrifying.
February 12, 2008
Jean Rollin is the master of (the universe? no, but:)vampire movies it is as simple as that!
January 21, 2008
The vampire film reconsidered as French art film.
½ January 21, 2008
Vampirism meets the French New Wave. That's how one could describe this surreal and bizarre horror movie. The debut of Jean Rollin is weird and uneven (it started as a short, then producers told Rollin to expand the story) but one thing is sure: Rollin has a great eye to create beautiful images.
January 14, 2008
I'll bet it was bloody
December 4, 2007
A completely insane head trip that marked the feature film debut of vampire-and-zombie auteur Jean Rollin. Features the excellent French artist Philippe Druillet in a small role!
½ November 3, 2007
the storyline went missing but full of some really awesome eye candy!!
October 23, 2007
First off, who in the right friggin mind wants to rape a vampire!!!!!!