Reviews

• Aug 15, 2021

Probably the most famous of all mysteries who did what to whom only enlighted at the end of the movie!

• Aug 08, 2021

Highly regarded cinematic piece of history that did nothing for me. Found it all pretty dull. There's not much to the stories and little motivation for some of them to be recounted as they are. I'll leave it for others to revere this one.

• Apr 06, 2021

Even when it drags, it is interesting. RASHOMON holds one of the most powerful and complex stories I've ever witnessed, and it's in Kurosawa's top 3 that I've seen. It does often drag, though.

• Feb 27, 2021

"Rashomon" displays brilliant storytelling, especially for its time. The innovative nature of the way the story is presented demanded my attention. I found myself fascinated by the way the characters were presented and it made me think a lot. It is intentionally never revealed what the truth of the events being discussed, is and that is both a great strength and weakness of this film. I would have loved to know what actually transpired, but it also would have taken away from the point of the movie. Overall, this is an interesting and quick watch that I think is a great film to spark many discussions regarding how human beings can perceive certain events and the morality of the truth.

• Feb 08, 2021

Amazing classic with great use of discourse. Impressive feat for the time.

Amazing classic with great use of discourse. Impressive feat for the time.

• Jan 05, 2021

The story may not seem as innovative as it did seventy years ago, but this is still an amazing movie. Kurosawa's style and the actors' performances are enthralling.

• Oct 28, 2020

In the end, I wasn't convinced. The story started out good. There was anticipation cause of the line "never heard a story as horrible as this. This time, I may finally lose my faith in the human soul. It's worse than bandits, the plague, famine, fire or wars." It was disappointing cause the courthouse story wasn't worse than those terrible, catastrophic events. It was just said to hype up the movie. I felt like the drama and emotions portrayed by the characters lacked depth and was made convenient to arrive at a point about people being selfish and evil. There wasn't enough build-up to sympathize with the characters' sorrow and sudden realizations. I thought I would like this more than Kurosawa's other works cause the intro felt like a modern movie in a sense that it was straight to the point. Maybe this would work better if it was performed in a theater stage with a bit more exaggeration for effect.

• Aug 06, 2020

Akira Kurosawa's film is not simply a magnificent achievement in film. Lighting, sound, editing … each is its own character in this story about a specific incident. The incident – the death of a samurai and the rape of his wife – is seen through the eyes of four different witnesses. Although the same thing happened, the tellings are much different.

• Aug 04, 2020

Really good film. I finally got a chance to see this and now can know what the "rashomon" technique is first hand. I feel parts of it went over my head, but I am struck by how vivid the cinematography was, even in black and white.

• Jul 31, 2020

I understand that the symbolism and messaging in 'Rashomon' make up some (or most?) of this film's appeal, but I just don't feel that's enough to allow it to remain one of the "greatest films" of all time. It just isn't, in my opinion. The story itself is not that interesting to begin with, the overacting is a distraction at times, and that final "battle" scene is just pathetic. Maybe this film was something else when it arrived 70 years ago, but it hasn't stood the test of time.